Things learned about your game this year..?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
What are one or two things that you learned about your golf game this year? It can be anything from a swing fix to an attitude change. What did you learn...???

focusing on good contact = good results. focusing on power = no fun zones.

I remembered a chipping technique or 2 that I used to employ for green side that for whatever reason I had forgotten. I find that when my GIR% has gotten stronger over the years that I don’t get as much on course practice, so I get rusty. I didn’t practice my short game at all this year and it showed in my up and down %…. dismal. Something I need to invest in spending more effort in 2022.

There's a reason why we pay instructors so much money. I made a swing change earlier this year to incorporate more shoulder turn - got really arm-sy over the years. It was working great for a few weeks, and one day, it just turned and I couldn't hit anything. Scores went from high-80s to high-90s/low-100s. My instructor takes a look at 2 swings and says "you're over-rotating now, as soon as you feel your weight on your right foot, fire away". Boom. Puring iron shot after iron shot immediately. If I didn't see him, I would've tinkered with my swing for weeks, and probably would've broke something else in the swing to fix this issue.

My old swing comes back a few times each round, but it's getting there. Hope I don't lose it over the winter.

A little bit of spine angle worked to help tame my slice.
My short game sucks.
I can't putt.:ROFLMAO:

1.) Tempo, tempo, tempo 2.) You don't need to be as steep on your irons as you think.

The quicker I remove the low checking shot around the greens, the better my short game gets. It's a stupid shot that I sincerely don't know how the pros control it. I hate it.

1. Don't rush the backswing
2. Keep my eye on the ball through the strike

Took three Lessons and the pro tweaked my backswing and ball position slightly And corrected a hand raise at the top of the backswing. Things are looking up. distances are up, dispersion is better but needs work

I learned I need to work on my tempo. Biggest thing holding me back is not only a bad tempo, but an inconsistent tempo.

Last edited:
I found out that I need to get in better shape and work on my game more! I got kind of lazy about that last Summer. But, cutting the grass twice a week took it's toll. I cut my and my neighbor's yards. She's on disability with a bad back and her Son is a lazy lump. I'm hoping for a nice, arid, desert-like Spring and Summer next year. By the time I put the mower away, I felt like I worked for a lawn service!

That I need to be in midsize or maybe bigger grips. I played my best last year with clubs built to Mizuno standard lengths/lies (flatter than most) and with midsize grips. I went back to standard length/lies and grip size this year and have fought all year to score/play as well. I just made the switch back and it was like a light switch turned on with my playing right back to where it was last year.

the more freely I swing and slow down my tempo, the straighter and farther my ball goes. Swing thought is so have a pause at the top like Hideki. If this doesn’t happen then I rush both the backswing and downswing.
I’m better than I really think I am. But putting needs the most work.

Well, I basically shoot the same scores in 21 different states.

I also changed my course management a little. Instead of trying to hit my first two shots off the tee as far as I can, I found it easier, and more beneficial just to get to easier scoring distances. Then let my short game do its job.

I'm also using a range finder more often than I use to.

1. That I’m a monumental short knocker
2. The more GIR I get the lower my score

No matter that I spent big bucks on lessons, if you only play and don't practice, your handicap stays the same :)

That I’m not as bad an iron player as I think I am. When I swing with a controlled tempo I get better results from my irons.

I learned that trying to lengthen my iron swing and make it feel more smooth doesn't work for me. Short backswing with an aggressive move produces much better results.

On the flip side slowing my driver backswing way down creates way better results.

I learned I tend to over complicate things. I need to learn to trust my swing and natural ball flight

No particular order…

-Preparation and patience lead to lower scores

-Tempo matters

-Confidence > Technique

-Confidence > Equipment

-Stay in the moment

-Walking > riding

-It’s not a race

Have fun and that I’m a pretty good putter so just get the stupid ball to the hole :ROFLMAO:

Work on short irons and wedges from 100-150 yards. There is such a thing as over hip rotation. Be more grateful for golf.

That my short game and putting can save a lot of pars. The biggest would be that if I keep a nice smooth tempo with the driver I can hit 11+ fairways a round

Back