Things learned about your game this year..?

1) Working hard on the short game makes the game more enjoyable.

2) There really are good instructors out there.

That I am still able to get better. More time playing has helped me.

It’s the arrow not the Indian doesn’t always work out. I had to adjust my positioning to align the toe of my driver with the ball. Combined with a slight tweak to lower my driver lift to 2* open and 8.375* loft has made a huge difference. I can go after it with my driver and hit straight bullets.

Consequently, I also learned I can’t thread driver through a 10 yard gap between trees 180 yards away. Confidence is good, overconfidence is bad. Ball dropped straight down in the short stuff, so I lucked out a bit.

I’m not as bad at putting as I thought, I just had the wrong putter. This time it was the arrow and the Indian was fighting it. Got into a face balanced mallet putter and my distance control has been so much better. My second putt tap-in percentage has been on the rise.

That I need to buy a putter that looks good to the eye, is well balanced, AND STICK WITH IT
I am a guy that may go through 3-4 putters a season.
I can’t do it… too costly and no consistency

I need to relax, slow down and breath for a few seconds before my tee shot - thanks @Jman 👊🏻

Anything is possible!!! And golf is always fun.

That my scores are easily a few shots better if I do not hit full shots during a warm up. Just wedges. I start thinking about swing thoughts to much and carry whatever the latest " feel" is to the course.

Or I hit some awful shots and hit tons of balls searching for a swing feeling. The whole time if I just think "put ball over there" I play way better.

I learned that no matter how good I feel about my driver when it's going well, it won't last.

I learned that if I am swinging my driver nice and easy and pulling it left all I have to do is swing HARD to fix it. If I am trying to kill my driver and pulling it left, swinging easy fixes it. Now someone tell my why lol.

This past year has been full of revelations for me:

* Driver fittings done by a local shop that knows what they're doing are invaluable.

* Modern technology has made using a 5 wood in place of a 3 wood a viable alternative. I can hit the 5 almost the same distance, and the 5 is easier to hit off the deck. Also, a 7 wood is a valuable club to have in the bag.

* Tempo is key. My slower swing at my best tempo goes significantly farther and is more accurate than my best Barry Bonds imitation.

* Relating to tempo, correct technique plus hitting the center of the club face will produce plenty of distance for those of us who aren't professionals. No need for the "steroid jerk," lol.

* Short game is the hardest area to improve. Lots of feel, not much muscle. Needs plenty of practice.

* Chipping and pitching is best done with multiple clubs. My last round, I used a 9 iron, 50*, 54*, and 58* depending on the lie, distance, and wind.

That it might be boring. :cry:

Mostly the same thing I learn again again and again really. That there's lots of ways for me to get it done out there.

I need to turn in the back swing, and short game short game short game.

- Only play club’s I'm comfortable with (Sorry Big Dog, you stay at home).
- 100 yards in practice does lower scores ( which includes pitches, chips, bump & runs, bunkers and putting)

Back