Things That Irritate You On the Course?

GolferMahn

Reaction score
Handicap
My putting
So Friday I was playing out in the gorgeous SC weather. The guy in the pro shop said it'd be a bit slow due to some foursomes on the course. The 2 of us were fine with that, because of the wonderful weather, and because it was the first time we'd played the course (and it gives an opportunity on occasion to play a second approach wedge shot for practice, which is what I'm working on the most).

We got to about the 6th hole when a group of 3 came roaring up behind us, playing at 100mph. This is my pet peeve. I absolutely hate when people play right up behind you, and it makes you mentally want to speed up, and thus making worse shots. Seriously, I had barely hit my second shot when I heard a ball land behind me. I stared back at them for a few seconds, hoping they'd get the point. On the next hole, while waiting in the fairway for the group in front of us to finish on the green, these guys had the nerve to say "sometime today please!" I darn near went off on them. I yelled back "Can't you see the people in front of us?"

Luckily we accidently went the wrong way, and teed off on the back nine on 13 instead of 10, so we avoided the groups in front, and those butt holes in back, and I had a fantastic rest of the round.

Another one of mine is bunkers that have terrible sand, i.e. packed down so you cant get under the ball. Not so bad in the fairway, and for economically challenged courses, I can see that, but greenside bunkers need to be well maintained.

So, people playing close behind is my pet peeve. What irritates you all on the course?

Those guys were doing fine until they criticized your pace of play. "Your place on the course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly in front of the group behind you."

I hate slow play with a burning, searing passion. I play at a pace of about 9 holes in an hour and a half walking, and that is a slow, comfortable pace for me. If I am playing well, it drops to about an hour. I almost have to be the only one on the course to avoid groups in front of me. I could lap some players.

A few things....

- People talking on cell phones from the fairway or putting green holding up play(I have no problems with them in general... I have one in case something is going on with sick children etc tournaments notwithstanding)
- Slow Play
- Ball marks not being repaired
- Fore not being called and then getting hit (been hit 4 times not once was fore called)

That's about it... nothing too unreasonable

Alex

The guy who Hits his ball into the water, drops another, hits it into the water again an continues dropping balls when he knows there is a group on the tee box.

Another is slow play because to me golf is about rhythm and if a player starts worrying about having to slow their pace down(something not normal to them) then they will get out of sync and may play worse.

The worst would have to be poorly maintained greens though. If a cup is on a slant then seriously? If it hasn't been moved around in awhile seriously? If a ball hops 5-6 feet off the ground and off the green seriously?

My 2 biggest pet peeves are unrepaired ball marks (my dad taught me to repair mine and one other) and like Nicklausfan, I hate folks who don't yell fore when their shot is close. I would rather duck when not needed than have a ball bounce by with no warning. Folks who do the latter will find their ball severely plugged or have to approach a green with a flag down. I deal with jackasses all day on patrol and I refuse to deal with them while golfing. KCM

The grounds crew putting the pins in dumb locations, like on the side of a slope or something. Has happened twice on same hole in the past week. Tee markers that line you up 40 yards offline. People not fixing ball marks. The guy who keeps talking about his swing "theories", especially when you're over the ball trying to hit, drives me nuts.

So Friday I was playing out in the gorgeous SC weather. The guy in the pro shop said it'd be a bit slow due to some foursomes on the course. The 2 of us were fine with that, because of the wonderful weather, and because it was the first time we'd played the course (and it gives an opportunity on occasion to play a second approach wedge shot for practice, which is what I'm working on the most).

We got to about the 6th hole when a group of 3 came roaring up behind us, playing at 100mph. This is my pet peeve. I absolutely hate when people play right up behind you, and it makes you mentally want to speed up, and thus making worse shots. Seriously, I had barely hit my second shot when I heard a ball land behind me. I stared back at them for a few seconds, hoping they'd get the point. On the next hole, while waiting in the fairway for the group in front of us to finish on the green, these guys had the nerve to say "sometime today please!" I darn near went off on them. I yelled back "Can't you see the people in front of us?"

Luckily we accidently went the wrong way, and teed off on the back nine on 13 instead of 10, so we avoided the groups in front, and those butt holes in back, and I had a fantastic rest of the round.

Another one of mine is bunkers that have terrible sand, i.e. packed down so you cant get under the ball. Not so bad in the fairway, and for economically challenged courses, I can see that, but greenside bunkers need to be well maintained.

So, people playing close behind is my pet peeve. What irritates you all on the course?

I hate slow play but fast play behind you is almost as annoying, had it yesterday. Nasty little comments like "take it you guys have a lot of money riding on this game".

Not raking bunkers after being in them
Not fixing ball marks
SLOW PLAY

All of the above^^^^^^^^

I played a course a while back and it was a public one but there were kids running about the course and always a hole in front of us and they were stealing the pins and breaking them or throwing them in the woods. What can you do? they are like 12 years old, so that annoys me people who disrespect the course which includes people dropping litter. I also hate slow play especially when people are aware you are waiting and still continue to be slow.

Not offering or allowing a single to play through

TapAhoy!

TapAhoy!

This and unrepaired ball marks

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Old men getting in front of me taking all day :banghead:. I know one day I will be one of those old men so I try my best to be patient :beat-up:.

Missing putts of 5 feet or less irritate me more than anything.

That guy that counts his shots while on the green. And the guy who has to keep score on his cell phone

Those guys were doing fine until they criticized your pace of play. "Your place on the course is directly behind the group in front of you, not directly in front of the group behind you."

I hate slow play with a burning, searing passion. I play at a pace of about 9 holes in an hour and a half walking, and that is a slow, comfortable pace for me. If I am playing well, it drops to about an hour. I almost have to be the only one on the course to avoid groups in front of me. I could lap some players.

TapAhoy!

I completely agree with both of these.

That guy that counts his shots while on the green. And the guy who has to keep score on his cell phone

So I can't input my score into oob on my iPhone? ;)

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Missing putts of 5 feet or less irritate me more than anything.

Belly putter ftw, hahaha.

I actually have no issue at all with slow play or hard bunkers or whatever. The biggest thing that annoys me is not repairing ball marks or replacing divots pr not raking bunkers after you hit from them and other such things that can be avoided easily.

Only thing that really annoys me is getting paired with people that are full of SH*T and are down right ignorant. I find it very hard to concentrate on my own game and really throws me

Only thing that really annoys me is getting paired with people that are full of SH*T and are down right ignorant. I find it very hard to concentrate on my own game and really throws me
Your Morgan Cup opponent could have some serious ammo now :D

wtf is wrong with keeping score on your phone? I dont get that one.

People who dont play ready golf. Get yourself ready and figure it out while your waiting not when the green or FW clears.

I'm gonna write a short instructional essay here:

First and foremost, parking lot pros. Guys with the top of the line staff bags and brand new equipment and clothes that make him look like a tour pro. And he acts like he is one, then goes and sucks. Put your words where your game is. I played with these two guys once who had nice staff bags full of top of the line gear from probably 2008. First 4 holes or so I sucked, and they wouldn't shut up about it. Then the beer kicked in and I ended up +1 for the last 5 holes (9-hole round) and ended up winning my two strokes. They were devastated.

The guy who takes six tee shots especially on the first. In a non-competition round, I really don't have a problem with two tee shots on the first hole if the first one sucks. But leave it at two. I'll never take three. I was behind a guy once who took at least six tee shots on each hole, no joke. When I would ask him to play through he would speed off in his cart and act like I wasn't there. After 4 holes I called the pro shop to complain and a guy had to drive out there and tell him the "rules."

Kind of like number one, those that flat out SUCK and won't acknowledge it. The guy who won't pick up after 10 strokes on a friendly round because "the pros don't" or it was "just a fluke" and he'll birdie the next one despite really getting a triple bogey.

Not repairing divots and ball marks. All that really does is annoy people, destroy the course over time, screw someone over when they land in one, get in the way of putts, piss off the staff, and it's plain disrespectful. Personally, I'm happy to make a ball mark. It means I hit a nice high shot that probably landed on the green and I feel pride in repairing it. Same goes for divots, if it's a good one. Bad divots (hitting fat) I will still obviously repair.

Ugh. Slow play. I was with my grandpa, and there were two ladies in front of us who would literally just sit in their cart and talk for a minute in the middle of each hole. Not moving or touching their clubs. Eventually he got up and yelled some obscene words at them and it scared them off the course. Not the right gesture, but hey it got play moving again. I don't like groups bigger than foursomes. I've seen eightsomes and ninesomes before that take three and a half hours to play nine and it hold everyone up even if they are letting people through.

Too much beer and smokes. Not gonna go too deep with this one, I will state that I don;t have a problem with eer and smoking on the course. I have a problem when it gets too far and you can notice drunk driving on the carts and they can;t hit their ball cause they can't see it.

I could go on and on and on...

We all see a lot of things out there that gets us upset. Mine are un-repaired ball marks and slow groups by far, some people have no concept of the courtesy of keeping pace.

I'm usually pretty tolerant on the golf course. But, slow play can get to me, especially in cases like I will describe here. Our course is carts only. I very often run into players who will drive the cart to the first ball and then one guy sits in the cart and watches the other get his yardage, pick a club, play, put his club away, and then they drive 30 frigging feet to the second ball and go through the same routine again! These guys typically do not think they are playing slow, and they aren't when they finally do get the ball. You watch that hole after hole during a round and I guarantee you'll be fuming. Just park midway between the balls and do your pre-shot stuff while the other guy is hitting!

Back