Things That Irritate You On the Course?

What annoys me most is people moving while you're trying to putt. Either move at the start and keep moving until I'm done or don't move and just read your putt or stand there, not much to ask. Also gotta love the guy who won't stop swearing, but sometimes those guys are also the guys who won't stop buying beer, so I can't really say anything..

Last edited:
Growing up, my home course was on the landing/flight path of the local airport...can remember playing a round when it almost felt like air traffic control was giving clearance for landing every time I was about to putt...I'd set up for a putt...take the backswing and a big jet would rumble over head! Must have happend on 9-10 holes...drove me mad..this happend around 15 years ago and I rememeber it to this day!

Sounds like the course at Lunken Airport. I used to play at Cedar Point Golf Course at Patuxent River Navy Base. 10 hole was parallel to the runway. I really enjoyed having an F-18 trainer with both occupants staring at me from 100 yards away, waiting on me to tee off, so he could too.

Latest peeve is guys thinking or acting like I'm playing match against them. Happened one too many times yesterday with my ex playing partner and a couple times last year with complete strangers.

What annoys me most is people moving while you're trying to putt. Either move at the start and keep moving until I'm done or don't move and just read your putt or stand there, not much to ask.

That bothers me as well.

Couple weeks ago I was playing final round of a tourney. First hole I have 80 yards to the flag and I am going through my pre-shot routine. There was a tourney official who was a spotter on the first hole sitting about 10 yards from my ball. I'm standing behind the ball visualizing my shot and this guy is on the phone talking away. I stood there for a moment and finally had to look at him and ask him to please stop talking.

He later gave me a backhanded apology saying that I wasn't over the ball and he didn't think it would matter. Normally I could care less about someone talking in a casual round, but in a tourney I want to be 100% focused and committed to the shot. Having to listen to one person talk about last night's dancing with the stars episode makes it really hard to do that.

That bothers me as well.

Couple weeks ago I was playing final round of a tourney. First hole I have 80 yards to the flag and I am going through my pre-shot routine. There was a tourney official who was a spotter on the first hole sitting about 10 yards from my ball. I'm standing behind the ball visualizing my shot and this guy is on the phone talking away. I stood there for a moment and finally had to look at him and ask him to please stop talking.

He later gave me a backhanded apology saying that I wasn't over the ball and he didn't think it would matter. Normally I could care less about someone talking in a casual round, but in a tourney I want to be 100% focused and committed to the shot. Having to listen to one person talk about last night's dancing with the stars episode makes it really hard to do that.

I would normally agree with you but that was one hell of a DWTS episode.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

my wife and I often play with another couple who are both very competitive. both Type A personalities. I could write a book on all the annoying stuff the 2 of them do but what really chaps my ass is their habit of heading straight to their ball when they are out in front of us. My wife is a beginner and has more bad days than good and is not a long hitter so she's often behind everyone. She will pick up if it's slowing everyone down. Slow play doesn't typically bother me much and I am not about to pressure her so I drive the cart and chill but it's a problem for this other couple apparently. They'll literally stand in the middle of the f-ing fairway 50 yds in front of us and watch as she's trying to hit. It's incredibly distracting and just downright rude. If they make it to the green first, they'll be up there putting already as we're approaching. They're nice folks and great to hang with off the course but damn, I get tired of that. I've stopped worrying about them being in my way and tune them out when I'm about to hit. If they get beaned by one of my shots, oh well....get out of the way dumba**. I told the wife "we aren't really golfing with them, we're just playing golf on the same holes they are"

Latest peeve is guys thinking or acting like I'm playing match against them. Happened one too many times yesterday with my ex playing partner and a couple times last year with complete strangers.

I hate that too, it is like they think that because you are paired up as a group it is game-on between the two of you, some people take competition to ridiculous lengths.

That bothers me as well.

Yeah I guess it bothers me when I'm hitting other shots as well, but putting is so much more close-quarters, it just makes it more annoying to me. I also don't like the spotters in tournaments when they do that, like they just keep driving by you slowly hoping you don't notice. Just stop and drive away when I'm done, you literally have to wait 10 seconds, not that big of a deal.

my wife and I often play with another couple who are both very competitive. both Type A personalities. I could write a book on all the annoying stuff the 2 of them do but what really chaps my ass is their habit of heading straight to their ball when they are out in front of us. My wife is a beginner and has more bad days than good and is not a long hitter so she's often behind everyone. She will pick up if it's slowing everyone down. Slow play doesn't typically bother me much and I am not about to pressure her so I drive the cart and chill but it's a problem for this other couple apparently. They'll literally stand in the middle of the f-ing fairway 50 yds in front of us and watch as she's trying to hit. It's incredibly distracting and just downright rude. If they make it to the green first, they'll be up there putting already as we're approaching. They're nice folks and great to hang with off the course but damn, I get tired of that. I've stopped worrying about them being in my way and tune them out when I'm about to hit. If they get beaned by one of my shots, oh well....get out of the way dumba**. I told the wife "we aren't really golfing with them, we're just playing golf on the same holes they are"

Are they right in the line in front of you? Sounds like Darwin needs to make an appearance. The groups I play with all go to their balls but stay out of the way. We'll be in front of someone hitting a shot, but usually at least 15-25 yards out of the way. It makes for ready golf when you walk to your ball with clubs while others are getting ready to hit theirs. We also tend to not hit shanks or hosel rockets that could put anyone in the group in danger.

A group of seven (they played in a foursome and a threesome) jumping out on #10 to start their round just as we were making the turn. And they were slow.

A group of seven (they played in a foursome and a threesome) jumping out on #10 to start their round just as we were making the turn. And they were slow.

That's rough. I'd go back to the snack bar, better pack for a few hours lol.

I've mentioned other things elsewhere, but today I had one happen to me that happens more often than I'd like. The greenskeepers cut the grass on their mowers and start at 1 and go forward. I had them interfering with my round from hole 2 through 6. Was really annoying. Why not just go backwards from 18 so you're guaranteed to only annoy people once?

I've mentioned other things elsewhere, but today I had one happen to me that happens more often than I'd like. The greenskeepers cut the grass on their mowers and start at 1 and go forward. I had them interfering with my round from hole 2 through 6. Was really annoying. Why not just go backwards from 18 so you're guaranteed to only annoy people once?

THIS. Had this happen twice in the past two weeks at the same course. Finally mentioned something to the clubhouse, it was really, REALLY annoying.

A few things irritate me on the course, the first is when people don't rake after bunker shots. The second is when people play from the wrong tees. I also hate when People behind tee off when we are in the fairway in reachable distance. I also hate when groups in front of us wait on par 5s for the green to clear like if they could reach the green into, sorry man but you aint hitting your 3 wood 350 yards.

I understand that new golfers will take longer to play rounds, BUT I can't stand it when the group in front of you will not let you through when they clearly have a beginner golfer who is in the woods, water, parking lot etc...and you have to wait ALL DAY just to play a round of golf. Was on a birdie, birdie run then had to wait for 15 minutes to even tee off then FINALLY finished the hole in 30 minutes. Needless to say my birdie streak was over...way over.

gopher-look-like-6.jpg

This area has millions of these rascals, pretty much every course has to fight them constantly. Gophers irritate me.

When I see a cigar left at the edge of a green

When I see a cigar left at the edge of a green
Cigars, cigarette butts, sunflower seeds, you name it. Someone took out their chew and tossed it on the green yesterday.

A random guy joined our foursome and started chatting about how some courses require you to have a certain handicap. Then he goes on to say, you can't play pebble unless you have a certain handicap.

Having played pebble I wanted to correct him but I decided on keeping my mouth shut and just let him be. He was extremely irritating but I would have been more irritating had I spoken up.

</rant>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A random guy joined our foursome and started chatting about how some courses require you to have a certain handicap. Then he goes on to say, you can't play pebble unless you have a certain handicap.

Having played pebble I wanted to correct him but I decided on keeping my mouth shut and just let him be. He was extremely irritating but I would have been more irritating had I spoken up.

</rant>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That can be annoying, I played with a guy yesterday who seemed nice at first but became really irritating. The guy was terrible but he insisted on giving people advice on how to hit, I am not saying I am great but when I hit three consecutive shots OB I am not giving people advice. He was one of those guys that blamed everything else for the shot not going where he wanted. He would put a 15 foot putt, 8 feet past and blame a bump or ball mark. Then he would just drop a ball and reputt while someone else was putting. He randomly started pulling clubs out of my bag and looking at them and then asking how much they cost, he thought my Razr X Forged cost $1500 dollars! On one hole I thought I hit my ball OB so I hit a provisional which was a great shot, he went and found my ball and picked it up just assuming I would want to take the penalty, when in fact my first ball was still in play and I could just punch it down to my provisional without penalty. Every time he hit the ball he was right into his cart and off to his ball, even if all three of us still had to hit. He was putting before we were all on the green, it was just really annoying. The funny thing is, he asked to join us, he could have easily gone ahead.

The guy who on every hole he can thinks he is helping by saying oh there is a lot of water there (Thanks tips i can see the 60 yard pond in front of the green on a par 3). Or he just points out every little bit of trouble on the course. I'm trying to focus on where I want to ball to go not where I dont want it to go. There is a lot of water. No there is a big open green waiting for my ball. Funny thing is he goes into all the trouble when he points it out.

Ignorance & no respect

Ignorance & no respect

So ive seen a few posts on here of kids being kids and ignorant people on the course , but have you ever had people not playing interfere . got two stories from the past two weeks

1- was on hole two on my local club , and could see some way up on the faairway , and playin with the rake in the stand trap, just thought it was a worker raking the and trap , so hit my ball well ahead of him, I then start to put my driver away, and see him walking up to my ball , its a young kid , he winds up Hoofs my ball another 20 ft up the fairway, first reaction was let out a what the hell at the top of my voice, kid looks up, and runs down the fairway , its a par 5 with an island green, I then see an older guy, and what looks to be his granddaughter or something, well I walk up to my ball, look down the fairway and there just hanging out walking in front of the green, throwing stuff into the water, I probaly waited 5 mins , till they slowly walked back to there house justoff the hole there, I couldnt shoot because they were right in front of the green . Couldnt believe it, I knowthe older guy could see me , I really dont think the golf course is a playground for kids, especially when people are playing the course .. what you guys think

2- and second on thursday , was out playing , hit amazingly long drive , drew about 5 yards off the fairway ,ad I saw a guy walking his dog around the edge of the course , really thought nothing of it, until I seen him bend down in the area of my ball, really didnt think he would take the ball , but get up there , and to my surprise , no ball , like frick , $4.00 callaway hex black ball, gone . guy was already down the road, when I got up to where my ball was

any 1 else have simliar situations , also forgive grammar and spelling, typing this on my tablet

Based on a few other posts lately, yes. It is unfortunate and disrespectful. Personally, I am strictly a recreational golfer so to me just being out golfing is too much fun to ruin my day but I hear your frustration.. It's just one of those things people will be people

I've never had any issues with people who aren't golfing on the course....man that's terrible.

Back