Thinking of going back to Forged clubs

RobPam99

Reaction score
Handicap
After a forced lay off of 2 1/2 years I was able to come back. So last seasons I got a set of Ping G25 thinking I needed a set GI clubs after the lay-off and at 56 yrs old some help. Well I have always been a blade guy all my life and had a HC of 5-8 now my HC is 13. But I feel my ball striking is improving and I like the look of a traditional looking club. So does it make sense to leap back to said like Callaway X Forged or TaylorMade Tour Preferred irons. I have tied both at GolfSmith and like both.

If you're consistently striking the ball well all the time, I see absolutely no reason not to go forged, other than slight losses of distance. Also, did you try any other forged clubs or just the Cally X forged and TM's? There are plenty of cast clubs that feel great too, even without the forged in their name.

If you like PING why not try the i20 or i25's or even the s55. Why do they have to be forged?

It sounds like you don't really mean forged, but rather the club's profile. If you are striking the ball and that type of profile meets your eye I say go for it.

Honestly, forged or cast clubs make little to no difference IMO. Cast technology has come a long way in the "feel" department and forged heads pack a lot of GI features in them now. If they have to be forged, the S55 is a great choice as is Apex. But in the end, whatever works for the individual is what they should play.

There are a lot of GI forged options that play like blades but give the benefits of GI. Give the Bridgestone j40, Mizuno mp54, cobra amp cell pro, tm tour preferred mc, and the apex pro a tryout.

Honestly, forged or cast clubs make little to no difference IMO. Cast technology has come a long way in the "feel" department and forged heads pack a lot of GI features in them now. If they have to be forged, the S55 is a great choice as is Apex. But in the end, whatever works for the individual is what they should play.

Agreed. One correction though- the s55 aren't forged.

Dang it I thought they were! I25s are right? Haha

haha nope. I know you're kidding. The ANSERS and the ANSERS alone are forged in the house of PING.

If its something in your head that tells you you prefer a forged club, I say go for it. I have played forged clubs over the years and recently bagged the i20s for a bit. They are GREAT clubs but to me don't feel as nice as a set of forged clubs. I found myself focusing on that characteristic way more than I probably should have. In the end I went back to a forged iron and haven't looked back. Golf makes us mental, just have to roll with it sometimes.

Thanks everyone. All replys are what I was looking for. My big thing is I like a iron that is traditional looking and the X forged and Preferred Irons just jumped out to me at the store. Now hitting them in the store the monitor said my distance was around the distance as the G25. I like the feed back I get from the forged club and I think I will be improving next season too. With the Pings I hit the ball straight but had a hard time shaping a shot. I know with the forged I able to do that.

Don't be scared off by forged clubs - there are plenty of forged muscle or cavity back mid size irons that are nearly as forgiving as a game improvement clubs. My buddy, who is about a 16 handicap, switched to Callaway forged cavity backs last year and immediately took 3 strokes off his index. He is a high ball hitter and the lower CG of the forged irons has given him a better, more consistent ball flight with more consistent distance.

I think this is more of a players iron vs. GI iron question than a forged vs. cast one. That said, it's important to overcome whatever mental hurdles our brains establish and if you feel more confident with forged clubs I say go for it. It doesn't make as big a difference as one would think as some of the new sets feature 3-6 cast, and 7-PW forged.

Back