Third Best Golfer Ever?

My instant reaction is Hogan. Anyone who hasn’t read the Curt Sampson book on him should. Such a good read.

Something I always find a bit interesting is that a lot of people grade based on major wins, yet Walter Hagen tends to get overlooked and lost in these conversations.

Hogan, Snead and Palmer round out my top 5.

My instant reaction is Hogan. Anyone who hasn’t read the Curt Sampson book on him should. Such a good read.

Something I always find a bit interesting is that a lot of people grade based on major wins, yet Walter Hagen tends to get overlooked and lost in these conversations.

That was one of my first thoughts. This one is interesting because there seems to be three criteria in this thread so far.

1. Majors: Yet Hagan gets overlooked.
2. Wins: Snead answers, but depth of field is overlooked
3. Marketability: Which to me, would eliminate Nicklaus from the top 2 discussion

Hogan

That was one of my first thoughts. This one is interesting because there seems to be three criteria in this thread so far.

3. Marketability: Which to me, would eliminate Nicklaus from the top 2 discussion

I remove marketability myself. Just not the criteria I would use. Otherwise like you said Jack falls and Tiger for the most part skyrockets. Minus that whole “incident” haha

You are right about Snead. There is still no golfer who has won more than him(Tiger ties)His longevity was crazy. He won in 4 decades and his swing tempo was beautiful.

I remove marketability myself. Just not the criteria I would use. Otherwise like you said Jack falls and Tiger for the most part skyrockets. Minus that whole “incident” haha

You are right about Snead. There is still no golfer who has won more than him(Tiger ties)His longevity was crazy. He won in 4 decades and his swing tempo was beautiful.

I think you mean incidents...Unless people dont care about the rocked on the side of the road driving drugged out of his mind. I say that sincerely too, because it was evident a lot of people dont care.

I think you mean incidents...Unless people dont care about the rocked on the side of the road driving drugged out of his mind. I say that sincerely too, because it was evident a lot of people dont care.

Sadly in the last 10-15 years I feel like those get swept aside for every athlete.

It's so hard with some of these guys that played in war time - because there were so many extenuating circumstances and the tour was so different (and rapidly changing - the book The Match covers this pretty well).

My gut says Hogan just because that comeback was insane. But, there are essentially a bunch of guys I wouldn't argue with.

I'm reading a Hogan book right now by Tim Scott. It takes some of the myths about how much of a cold dude he was and kinda shows how he really was. Just an introverted guy who was very one track focused and worked hard for everything he had. He wasn't some cold blooded monster. Shocker though, the media didn't like him and his answers so they made him sound worse. Even back in the 40's and 50's, the sports press were a bunch of egotistical clowns.

Maybe Hagen or Player. Palmer was extremely influential but I wouldn't say best. Hogan might have been but the war and injuries shortened his career. Snead obviously could win regular events but for the longevity of his career and the number of wins I would say 7 majors was a bit underperforming.

I'm reading a Hogan book right now by Tim Scott. It takes some of the myths about how much of a cold dude he was and kinda shows how he really was. Just an introverted guy who was very one track focused and worked hard for everything he had. He wasn't some cold blooded monster. Shocker though, the media didn't like him and his answers so they made him sound worse. Even back in the 40's and 50's, the sports press were a bunch of egotistical clowns.

Right? I mean his story is a fascinating read. Not exactly what I was thinking when I thought if Hogan. I always thought he was in the middle of winning major after major when that accident happened. But that too was not the case. Hell IIRC he had won 1 stroke play major prior to that(2 pga match play).

First that comes to mind is Arnold, but that seems like the easy way out maybe. Overall impact of wins and off course.
Snead or Hogan by the numbers (just based on tour wins).

I had a feeling this sentiment would be there, but I would argue if the marketing and changing the sport was criteria, Nicklaus wouldn't even be in the discussion with Woods. IN fact he might have not finished in the top 3-4, right?
We're not debating Tiger and Jack per the OP 😂

We're not debating Tiger and Jack per the OP 😂

Of course. But I am just trying to figure out how best ever includes marketing?
If that is the case, Mickelson has to be in the conversation, and the data says otherwise.

Right? I mean his story is a fascinating read. Not exactly what I was thinking when I thought if Hogan. I always thought he was in the middle of winning major after major when that accident happened. But that too was not the case. Hell IIRC he had won 1 stroke play major prior to that(2 pga match play).

Majors, no. He was winning a hell of a lot of regular tournaments though prior to the accident. He was a pretty below average putter all things considered, and post accident, it got worse IMO. When he was on or average, he won. He lost a few majors though by three putting the last hole a lot more than he should have.

If that is the case, Mickelson has to be in the conversation, ................
Well, you have to take into consideration that he did beat Tiger in "The Match"!

Well, you have to take into consideration that he did beat Tiger in "The Match"!

The funny part of that is if you read the prediction contest we did, vs what actually happened its pretty funny.

I have been reading through this whole thing and it is really hard to make a decision. I think it is because how are we defining it? I think there is an argument for Phil M to be the third best ever. Majors? Check. Wins, Check. Marketability? check. Strength of field? check.

Hogan. The comeback from the terrible car accident and the amazing 1953 season (won 5 of 6 tournaments entered, including 3 majors). His incredible swing will be talked about, and attempted to duplicate, forever.

I'll go with Mickelson. Shouldn't be counted against him that his career ran alongside the GOAT ;)

I've never been a guy to have a real opinion on things like this because I'm a 'seeing is believing' kind of person.

Wasn't fortunate enough to experience most of the guys who make this list what it is, and can only fall back on things like Palmer's visual impact of the game, and the endless stories told between him and Jack on Golf Channel.

Another Palmer vote...

Arnold Palmer hands down. Just the way he created a career on and off the course.

Woods
Nicklaus

Hogan- there’s a good chance he’s the greatest if the car accident doesn’t happen. With the wins he had over a stretch of time and the tournaments missed, there’s a great chance and realistically speaking it probably happens.

Agree with this. Most people don't come back from that accident to win majors, much less even play professionally.
And since he had trouble walking (stamina-wise) after the accident, he could never compete in the PGA championship (which was match play back then). If it was stroke play, I'm pretty sure he would have won that too & swept the majors in 1953.

I'd put Bobby Jones as 3B. If he had gone pro and focused solely on golf, I think he would have dominated for a long time.

Both Hogan and Jones had that same will to win and the intimidation factor that separates Woods & Nicklaus from the rest of the great golfers.
Gary Player would be next on my list, but I would not argue much is most had him as #3. His record holds up with anyone's and he was a lot more personable and fan-friendly than Hogan (& probably Jones too).

For me its a tie between Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan. A lot of people forget that Jones retired in his prime and probably would have won a lot more if he had wanted to.
For those who are saying Palmer, Id say that we're talking who is the best golfer, not who is the best businessman. Palmer was a great golfer, sure but he was a even better businessman than he was a golfer and much of the legend of Mr Palmer was his brand image.

Back