Third Best Golfer Ever?

Best: Moe Norman
Greatest: Arnold Palmer

I am going to vote for Sam Snead.

Mr. Snead had the most wins until Tiger with 82, he won 7 majors, and more impressive is he won on the PGA tour for four decades.

Gotta give it up to Sam Snead:

A record 82 PGA Tour wins, spanning 1936 to 1965
Seven major championships, including three Masters and three PGA Championships
Oldest player to win, make a cut and shoot his age in PGA Tour history
Posted top 10s in majors in five different decades
Over the same period as Hogan's prime, Hogan won more. And Hogan's biggest accomplishments- the Grand Slam, winning all three majors he played in 1953, the scoring records, surpass Snead's.

Lord Byron has to get some consideration, 52 PGA wins, 5 majors and in 1945 wins 18 of 30 events including 11 in a row. Follows that up by retiring the next year to be a cattle rancher at age 34. Because he could make more money as a rancher than a professional golfer. One can only imagine the numbers he could have put up if not retiring in his prime.

Hogan, then Palmer and Player, for me.

I'm going with Phil as third best. It's super tough to compare different generations but I believe golf is much harder now than it was 50-60+ years ago.

Jean van de Velde.

It’s tough because Snead, Hogan, Hagen, and Jones were all great golfers. In my opinion I have to rank him third best. He was the most competitive for the longest period of the list.

Now, best for the game? I would say Arnie, Tiger, and Jack in that order. You wouldn’t have the marketability for Tiger if it wasn’t for Arnie. Tiger, well we all know his affect on the game. Jack wad able to market himself outside of a player pretty well, but his name doesn’t have the same affect as seeing TW or a red, yellow, white, and green umbrella logos.

Like other posters have said, there is a difference between best player and player who had the most influence on the sport. If we are talking best, I can't choose between Hogan and Player.

I'm going to say Player. 9 Majors, career Grand Slam and did it all with Jack in his prime.
He was my favorite when I was young, because I was small for my age and he was short and could hit it a mile. Haven't copied his preference for black golf clothes, though

Palmer

Palmer for sure. Loved watching him in his prime.

Gary Player would get my 3rd place vote, just barely. He accomplished alot against some pretty good competition.

I'd give honerable mentions to Palmer, Hogan, and Jones.

He was my favorite when I was young, because I was small for my age and he was short and could hit it a mile. Haven't copied his preference for black golf clothes, though
He wasn’t a long hitter, but was extremely accurate.

Amazing how much people either aren't aware og what Jones did or just don't acknowledge it. Plus...ddo yourself a favor and watch some video of his swing when you get a chance. The most perfect swing in the history of the game. (Yes, better than Snead or Hogan'sHogan's swings).

I’d have to go with Ben Hogan but so many great options.

If Hogan had played in as many events as Jack and Tiger, had not missed as many majors due to WW2, had not had that terrible accident, had played the British Open more, the mind boggles at the possibilities. Hogan has always been number 1 in my mind.

Amazing how much people either aren't aware og what Jones did or just don't acknowledge it. Plus...ddo yourself a favor and watch some video of his swing when you get a chance. The most perfect swing in the history of the game. (Yes, better than Snead or Hogan'sHogan's swings).
Jones was incredibly impressive but Tiger’s top accomplishments are clearly more impressive. Hogan’s too.

I had a feeling this sentiment would be there, but I would argue if the marketing and changing the sport was criteria, Nicklaus wouldn't even be in the discussion with Woods. IN fact he might have not finished in the top 3-4, right?
This is why I call Jack the greatest ever, and Arnie the most influential ever.

If Hogan had played in as many events as Jack and Tiger, had not missed as many majors due to WW2, had not had that terrible accident, had played the British Open more, the mind boggles at the possibilities. Hogan has always been number 1 in my mind.
The Hogan special on the Golf Channel last night was incredible.

I’m scrolling through all these posts and can’t believe how many people are NOT saying Snead. In fact there’s a good argument to be made for him being the GOAT. I’d say the OP should be “top 3 are Nicklaus, Woods, Snead (in no certain order), who’s 4th?

If Snead isn’t at least top 3, then just say anything. Cosmo Kramer! Donald Duck! Donald Trump! John Daly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of a golfer I don't know for sure, in terms of golf as a whole, Arnie for sure.

For perspective on Jones:

He retired at age 27 with 13 majors
Tiger, at age 27, had 8 majors (11 if we are including his amateurs)
Jack at age 27 had 7 majors (9 if we are including his amateurs)

What would Jones have done if he had played another 20-30 years? He might have won 26 majors.

I’m scrolling through all these posts and can’t believe how many people are NOT saying Snead. In fact there’s a good argument to be made for him being the GOAT. I’d say the OP should be “top 3 are Nicklaus, Woods, Snead (in no certain order), who’s 4th?

If Snead isn’t at least top 3, then just say anything. Cosmo Kramer! Donald Duck! Donald Trump! John Daly!

Eh... Snead and Palmer have the same number of majors, and Palmer played 11 less years, and in arguably a tougher time on tour. Hogan has 2 more majors than Snead. Player has 2 more than Snead, and more total professional wins. Not sure how Snead is leaps and bounds above some of the others people have listed.

Snead never reached the levels of dominance that Tiger, Jack, or Hogan reached (or his contemporary Byron Nelson reached either). Snead is definitely outside the top-3. You can argue him on the next level- Arnie, Player, Byron Nelson, etc.

Hogan may have won 20 majors if not for the accident and WWII.

This is why I call Jack the greatest ever, and Arnie the most influential ever.
The Tiger-Jack debate is really tough. The only thing Jack has in his favor is 18 majors to 15. But Tiger's best 1,2,3,5 and 10 year stretches were better than Jack's best. Jack stayed healthy for longer.

Back