This has to be one of the craziest things I have seen while playing golf!

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
On our local course there are a group of guys that are very good golfers. I have watched them play quite a few times now and am impressed with their skills. Me and two other guys were out yesterday while these guys were playing and we saw something I never expected to see.

There is a Par 4 around 386 yards hole that you have to hit over water on your second shot to an elevated green sitting slightly between two bunkers. Most of the time these guys are on the green in two. Here is where it gets weird. We hit off the tee behind them and then proceeded to our second shot once they cleared their second shot to the green. We noticed a cart and several people to the left of the green under a tree and we thought it was the grounds keeper as they had been out moving the cups.

As we got closer we noticed these guys were looking up in a tree and appeared to be throwing things up in the tree. One of the guys with us said that one of those guys has been known to have a bad tempter and throw his clubs into the woods, so he was guessing that was what happened.

That wasn't the case. Come to find out one of them hit the golf ball up in the tree and the ball hung there on some limbs and did not drop down and they got the idea to toss a golf club up and hit the limb and knock the ball down. Piece of cake, right? They threw the club up and sure enough the ball came down, however the club lodged in the limbs. Next they decided to throw another club up to knock that club down. Guess what! The next club hung there.

Now it gets even crazier. They threw yet a third club up to knock those two clubs down and that club hung up there. Yes, not one club, not two clubs, but the guy said they had all THREE clubs hung out on the limbs of a pine tree while they stood there gazing on trying to figure out how that happened!

What are the odds? We are standing there watching this and could not believe what we were seeing. So one of the guys goes and gets one of those long ball retrievers and climbs up on top of the golf cart, fully extends the ball retriever and barely manages to get one of the clubs to come down, but the others won't budge. It is as if they are locked in there between two limbs.

I cannot tell you how crazy this looked while we were looking on. Next, they take one of the cart path ropes about 20 feet long with the pig iron stake attached to it and pull the stake out of the ground. They manage to throw that iron stake over the end of the limb like a grappling hook with the rope attached. Now two of them grab each end of the rope and they are really shaking the limb up and down with a lot of force and the clubs finally come down!

I told one of the guys I was golfing with that I don't imagine I will ever see anything like that again. I have heard of balls lodging in trees and someone throwing a club and hanging in a tree, but never saw three clubs lodged in a tree! Just goes to show you might see anything on a golf course.

That would have been funny to watch live.

😆 You never know what you’ll find out on the course!

hahaha and they say it's the hacks who slow down pace of play

I did witness a playing partner toss his putter up in the air in frustration after walking off the green, not realizing how close he was to a pine tree. It stuck there. The club he tossed up there to get the putter down also got stuck. At least he was smart enough to not try a third and had to climb the tree to reach the limb and shake them both down.

Why did you not video this.......

Like none of you have ever got a club struck in a tree trying to get a ball down. I thought it was like a golf right of passage. :LOL:. 'Cause you don't know it doesn't work well until you actually try it!

I’ve seen a friend wade chest deep into a green side pond to retrieve his putter.

And the thing is it was probably a ball they fished out of the lake with said ball retriever! 🤣

Why did you not video this.......
I don't have a smart phone, but SURE wished the other guys had of videoed it, but I think they were so amazed that just did not think of it.

One wonders how they knew the ball which was up quite high was their ball....and then to toss a club to achieve getting a ball which may or may not be your ball....makes no sense. Twice I have been partners with guys who got clubs stuck in pine trees. Once during a match at the club and the putter was heaved after a miss and lodged a good 30 foot off the ground and unretrievable….I proceeded to beat that guy and he was a much better player. 2nd time a bud had his driver slip out on a hot muggy day and lodge about 15 foot up a tree. I climbed up and got it for him...My hands were a pine tar mess for a few holes....

A few years ago I saw a friend hit an approach shot and pulled it, there was a tree by the green and he hit it dead center, it ricocheted towards the green and went in the hole. I’ve never seen anything like that since

I was playing with a friend who threw his driver after a bad shot. Quite a throw. Went over an 8 foot fence, and landed on a road where it got run over by a car. My friend climbed the fence, while the driver got out, picked up the club and handed it back.

This is why you always take your shotgun to the course with you. Just shoot the limb out of the tree. Problem solved.

We didn't have to fashion s grappling hook, but a friend of mine did have to stand on top of a car with a ball retriever to fish three clubs out of a tree.

Gotta admite their persistence 🤣🤣

Gotta admite their persistence 🤣🤣
I mean...leaving the ball up there in the tree is one thing, but they're a little more invested in the process when they've got three clubs up there! :LOL:

Three, $100 clubs stuck in a tree just to save a $2-$4 ball is indeed very strange.

I have to admit, I have never witnessed a ball rescue of that magnitude.

Fun story.

Watched a guy retrieve his ball after it embedded belt high in a cactus. He thought gouging it out by chopping down on it with the toe of a wedge was smarter than carefully digging it out from in close. Wrong! Several chunks of cactus and free spines stuck in both legs, one in his wrist and another in his pec on the first hack. Fine spines complete with barbs. It was cheapo shite ball he'd just found too ... but hey, at least he got it back :oops:

Watched a guy retrieve his ball after it embedded belt high in a cactus. He thought gouging it out by chopping down on it with the toe of a wedge was smarter than carefully digging it out from in close. Wrong! Several chunks of cactus and free spines stuck in both legs, one in his wrist and another in his pec on the first hack. Fine spines complete with barbs. It was cheapo shite ball he'd just found too ... but hey, at least he got it back :oops:
When you golf in the desert, one of the first lessons you learn is never fight with a cactus. :LOL: The second lesson you learn is that it's not just the cactus - every plant in the desert will make you bleed!

I saw a guy lose his grip on his driver when we were playing in a heavy rain and it wound up in the pond right off the tee.

But I thought trees were 90% air?

Back