This may be an unpopular opinion but,

I like the tournaments better with no fans. No drunken hooting and hollering and especially no "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" from the gallery of clowns. Flame away.
No flames here, I totally agree.

I like the tournaments better with no fans. No drunken hooting and hollering and especially no "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" from the gallery of clowns. Flame away.
I don't disagree with you on the goofy yelling. But the roars from the crowd make it more exciting to me.

Dunno. For me, If I had to choose one or the other, I’m going with fans. I have enjoyed the golf without them though.

Like it without fans, hate those idiots who yell things out. Also it seems like the announcers are concentrating more on the players.

Yeah, I don't miss the galleries either. At least so far. Then again, I have probably watch only 2 hours total since the pga started back up. Most of that was the last few holes on Sunday.

Will meet you half way on this one. Agree its nice not to see the hollering and hooting.

I do miss the galleries/fans. Especially the majors where the walk up 18 always looks so special. But I will say it appears the cameras are giving a little more insight into the caddie/player discussions/strategies. I like that. Probably wouldn't see as much with galleries. Pro's and con's in challenging times.

I could get use to it in a heartbeat. I think it's going to be really cool to watch the Masters with no patrons out there.

This will be the best litmus test, or the US open could get a bit interesting with now backboards or fans bumpers.

I like it and I don’t to a point. I like not having the stupid yells right after someone hits any shot but I miss hearing the crowd go nuts after an amazing shot. Somewhere like the masters when you hear a roar from across the course knowing a number is about to change is so awesome I think. I know watching it on tv is different but not hearing the crowds go nuts after an ace or an eagle at the masters will be missed, even on tv.

I think this is an incredibly popular opinion.

If I had to pick between crazy roars + morons vs no fans I'd probably take the latter 9 times out of 10.

I enjoy it much more without galleries. You get to see more of the course and you don't have to listen to all the morons yelling moron things. The PGA last weekend reminded me of how much I don't miss it, on the holes where there were fence peekers. You heard all the "Bababooey!", "Mashed Potatoes!!!!", "Get in the hole!" nonsense.

I like it fine without, but I miss the galleries in the big moments. Even seeing highlights from last Sunday there was something missing without fan reactions. I miss seeing the players that thrive on it and the ones that wilt under it, and I'm willing to tolerate some vocal asshattery by certain fans to have that as part of it. I do enjoy hearing more of the conversations between players and caddies, but they could always have added more of that to coverage even with the fans there.

I don't disagree with you on the goofy yelling. But the roars from the crowd make it more exciting to me.

Exactly. Can you even imagine the roar that would have happened when Morikawa drove 16 and then holed the putt on Sunday? Would have been a borderline Tiger roar, I think.

I want the fans back, but this is a great opportunity for the PGA Tour to reset things:

"The PGA Tour is happy to announce that X event on X date in 2021 will be the first event with our wonderful fans back in attendance. However, over the years some fans have ignored traditional rules of decorum and as such, have detracted from the enjoyment of other fans in attendance and fans watching on TV. Fans taking actions which are distracting and in particular, taking such actions repeatedly will make that fan and others in their party subject to ejection without refund.

Examples of distracting actions include:

Repeatedly verbally harassing players, caddies or other personnel
Repeated yelling of nonsense or silly phrases after a swing, such as "Mashed Potatoes," "Get in the hole," "Bababooey," etc.

Phrases more appropriate would be cheering on a player such as "Let's go Tiger!" or "You've got this Phil!"

The PGA Tour recognizes such a rule is highly subjective. However, the enjoyment of all our fans is paramount and we would prefer to inconvenience a few for the enjoyment of many and will not continue to tolerate such actions. If you are unsure whether your yell is appropriate, the PGA Tour would encourage you to use general cheering and applause as a safer option."

Fans suck. I wish every tournament was played this way.

Absolutely no spectators at the course is better for the players as well as the t.v. viewers. The players can move more easily around the golf course and play shots with fewer distractions. The t.v. viewers get to see more of the golf course.

But if fans are back. We change babbabooy to ...
1B1A3354-26F0-497B-8BFE-9091445B371C.png

I don’t miss the stupid outbursts, but there seems to be something missing to me. Can you imagine the Waste Management no fan?

I don’t miss the stupid outbursts, but there seems to be something missing to me. Can you imagine the Waste Management no fan?

Nope and I can’t imagine the Master’s with no fans. No Sunday roars will be very strange. Maybe they can pipe in the roars. I don’t like most of the golf commentary so I rarely have the volume on when watching golf other than the majors so I don’t hear many of the stupid comments from the fans or the announcers.

The other good thing about no fans, the ball goes where it was hit to, no crowds or grandstands to stop the ball, and no trampled down rough to reward a player for a bad shot.

I much prefer the fans but I'm still enjoying watching just the same. Yeah, the idiot heckles and outbursts aren't missed, not a bit.

like most have already stated, I don't miss the fans that shout and yell dumb things after each shot for attention or annoy the players.

But the one thing I miss are the roars after a big putt or hole out or the winning putt, especially during majors. Imagine a HUGE come back win from behind on a Sunday with no roars. I'm sure the players themselves miss that part of playing as well.

Back