This may be an unpopular opinion but,

Right, I would think that playing well enough to win or place as high as you can, especially to make a cut plus hundreds of thousands if not a million dollars adds a little pressure.
Just a little, but not much;)

I dig no fans. But it’s a little less exciting to watch. As far as pressure goes? If you are a relatively (like I said relatively) unknown player like Collin Morikawa I think the pressure was much less. He would have had a huge gallery around him and pulling off the shot of his life , not to mention the putt, would have been that much harder.

I agree that televised golf is better without fans. But, I used to go to see the Western Open when it was held at Butler National near Chicago and then when it was at Cog Hill. There was also the PGA Championship and US Opens at Medina. Seeing these great courses up close and seeing the greatest players who have ever teed it up live, up close and in person was something special. Standing a few feet from Jack, Arnie, Greg Norman and Tiger while they blasted a drive are visions that have stuck with me decades later. Getting Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson’s autographs on practice days was just a thrill. I can’t imagine what watching the Masters is like from the gallery. People who are the fans that have to stay home are certainly not happy about it.

0D15A624-A97C-4E9F-9F53-35ED816CBCB0.jpeg

Make a new rule, to those who are standing beside a 'Mash Potato' heckler; that they can stomp their toe, to give them something to holler about.

I really like the no fan tournaments. Brings a new experience to the telecast. Of course it’s fun to hear the roars and cheers after a great shot, but it’s cool seeing the tone stay the same. I do laugh whenever they introduce the player and no applause is done.

It's more like practice than competition, I don't really consider anyone winning anything right now a true winner, zero pressure, just sort of an exhibition.

But it's better than no golf.
Well, there's a hot take.

As a small business owner, I can live with a few idiots yelling for the sake of all the sales lost in food, merchandise, the club vendors and many more money makers who count on this every year.

Definitely prefer to watch golf with the crowds. "You the man!" and "Bahbahbooey!" is a small price to pay for the roars on Sunday, IMHO.

Not unpopular at all. Fans don't add anything to golf. Distract from space on course and how pretty they are. Yell stupid s**t all the time. Probably need a few tourneys like Waste Management. I think at least one of the majors needs fans but I would be fine if the rest got rid of them. I don't need or like the fans at all from a viewing perspective.

I honestly want to take the no fans a step further. They definitely are going to let fans into tourneys. Money just makes too much sense so this definitely isn't permanent. I wish they would limit the fans to a smaller subset of holes though.

I totally agree.

I like the tournaments better with no fans. No drunken hooting and hollering and especially no "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" from the gallery of clowns. Flame away.
I kind of like it as well.

No fans ultimately means no sport....The economics dictates fans...and as all golf tourneys donate massively to local charities....well so be it...Let's go with no fans...…………..

I know the pros miss having the folks tamp down the rough and find their balls and they pretend they miss them, but for me, I'm with you 100%. Hate the idiots yelling "in the hole" every shot.

I know the pros miss having the folks tamp down the rough and find their balls and they pretend they miss them, but for me, I'm with you 100%. Hate the idiots yelling "in the hole" every shot.
Makes me roll my eyes when they do it on par 4 and par 5 tee shots. :rolleyes:

Back