This sucks, kind of...callaway X-20

willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm kind of new to golf--I just started last July--and was in need of good irons. I don't know, something wrong about going golfing and seeing everybody with these fancy clubs and I'm stuck with Top Flite...I kind of bought into the whole I've gotta get good clubs thing.

Anyway, I had been saving up for a while. On Thursday, I told my golfing instructor that I'm gong to buy Callaway X-22's. So he told me he'd be able to get me a deal and get me the specs he feels I need, which I think was like a stiff flex and +50 extra length. So, I was like cool with it. Then, he called me and told me he could get me x-20's for like 400 bucks. He wouldn't be able to get a longer club or a stiff shaft because Callaway only sold X-20's standard length and uniflex shaft. So I was cool with that. I was gonna have new clubs, baby!!!

Well, now I've been doing some research and it turns out that the Callaway x-20's are NG, which means that the perimeter weighting isn't 360 degrees, it's 180. There's also no borethrough hole, or whatever it's called. What the heck! So are these clubs gonna suck or what? I've never even seen a Callaway club that didn't have that bore through thing through the hosel. I don't know. Thinking I may have gotten hosed on this deal. He's a good instructor though.

Does anybody know anything about these NG X-20's? Are they still good? I should have kept my mouth closed and just ordered the X-22's.

When I worked at golf galaxy people loved the x-20's. I think you will be fine.

those are essintealy the same as the regular x-20s but they conform to the new groove rules although i wouldnt of bought the x-22s you got a great set

Like they said, they are the same, but with the new grooves. The retail for $400 I believe from Callaway directly.

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at ease! I was just worried that they were some kind of "cheaper version" of the X-20's or something. I really need these clubs to last three years or so. If they're basically the same, I feel better.

Thanks!

I play the X-20s and am very happy with them. By the time we're subject to the new groove rule, we'll all be playing newer clubs anyway.

Like they said, they are the same, but with the new grooves. The retail for $400 I believe from Callaway directly.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SET!
Callaway claims that three features make their irons superior to other brands: 1) a 360 degree undercut cavity, "S2H2" or a Short, Straight Hollow Hosel, and their shaft bore thru design.

UNLIKE THE REAL X-20's when they were released, these reissues have NONE of the above features. The undercut exists only in the bottom of the cavity, the hosels are longer, and there is no bore-thru.

Sure, they say Callaway, but you're not getting any of the so-called benefits of their original design.

How does Callaway take out all the features and call them the same thing? Sad.

AND, why would your pro sell you any set at standard length, when you need 1/2" over?

We are using Callaway's information and they call them the same set. I will do some more digging.

No need to yell now. Everything you wanted to convey in the previous post could have been done with normal sized font.

Just my 0.02

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SET!
Callaway claims that three features make their irons superior to other brands: 1) a 360 degree undercut cavity, "S2H2" or a Short, Straight Hollow Hosel, and their shaft bore thru design.

UNLIKE THE REAL X-20's when they were released, these reissues have NONE of the above features. The undercut exists only in the bottom of the cavity, the hosels are longer, and there is no bore-thru.

Sure, they say Callaway, but you're not getting any of the so-called benefits of their original design.

How does Callaway take out all the features and call them the same thing? Sad.

AND, why would your pro sell you any set at standard length, when you need 1/2" over?

That's what I was thinking too. I don't know. I'm sick over it. He's a really good instructor. I mean, really, really good. I've been getting a little bit better every single week. Uggghhhh. I think he makes some money off selling me the clubs or something. I was hoping they'd be okay. New grooves? Dude, I don't need new grooves. My old grooves are okay. I can't tell the difference because I suck. I'm 6'3 and using tiny clubs. Now, I find out I'm wasting four hundred bucks on crappy clubs. Should have bought those crappy knock off I've seen on line. At least they have the things Callaway is known for. I'm gonna go puke now.

Are they the X-20 Tours? My tours do not have the bore through design like the standard X-20s. JB may be able to confirm this, but I heard from a Callaway rep at the Callaway Golf Center here in Vegas that the sweet spot on the X-20s is actually larger than on the X-22s, which is why they still get recommended a lot.

No, Vegan702, they're just plain old (I guess, new) x-20's. I think Callaway did this with their x-18's too; turned them into x-18r's. That's the one thing making feel good though. If the Tours don't have them, maybe it's not that big of a deal. When I searched the net, there was a youtube video and the guys said Callaway made several improvements to this club. I'm not sure taking away some key features would be an improvement. In my mind, they look like knock offs of the real x-20's. When I get them this week from my instructor, I'll try to post pictures.

haha, I was wondering why the super large font....maybe he just wants everyone to see 1 of his 9 posts

Reactions: TC
Well, I think since Callaway is continuing to make them and bring them back with new grooves should tell you the confidence they have in them since their replacement have been out for almost 2 years now.

Can you return them if you havent hit them??????? If you're feeling this bad about buying the clubs I would def check into that. I know big purchases can lead to buyers remorse but it seems like you wont be happy with the clubs... You should be happy especially with a purchase that big.

"haha, I was wondering why the super large font....maybe he just wants everyone to see 1 of his 9 posts"

Yeah, that's it.

No, I used the large font to get my post noticed and READ. And you know what? It worked.
I'll say it again, IT IS NOT THE SAME SET.
It's a scam is what it is. At least Callaway had the decency to put an "R" behind the X-18 when they pulled the same thing last year.

They will sell thousands of these knock-offs and 95% of the people that buy them won't realize they are buying something inferior.
NO S2H2, no 360 undercut, and no bore thru hosel.

It's an effort to hit a $400 price point and Callaway is too cheap to do it the right way.

"haha, I was wondering why the super large font....maybe he just wants everyone to see 1 of his 9 posts"

Yeah, that's it.

No, I used the large font to get my post noticed and READ. And you know what? It worked.
It's a scam is what it is. At least Callaway had the decency to put an "R" behind the X-18 when they pulled the same thing last year.

They will sell thousands of these knock-offs and 95% of the people that buy them won't realize they are buying something inferior.

It's an effort to hit a $400 price point and Callaway is too cheap to do it the right way.

But as this post points out, mesasges here tend to get noticed and read- regardless of font size. The big fonts actually make me less likely to take anything you say seriously. Thank you for the new post though. I don't have any personal interest in this thread (one way or another) but it is good information to know anyways.

/threadjack

Yeah, that's it.

It sucks plain and simple. I don't know why Callaway does this crap. Do you think the clubs will still be okay? Or are they gonna be junk?

I doubt they would be junk. You may have answered this already, but is there any place near you that you can hit these before your order comes in? If you can't hit them and you don't think you will be happy with them I would return them.

I doubt they would be junk. You may have answered this already, but is there any place near you that you can hit these before your order comes in? If you can't hit them and you don't think you will be happy with them I would return them.

I guess my question kind of says the same thing. If you ordered them, and are not happy with them, why buy them and keep them? Just refuse delivery or tell your pro, Im sorry after doing further research, I do not care for these clubs.

Thanks guys, I'm finished killing myself over this topic. Lol. I don't want to tell my golf pro I don't want them because he already placed the order for me. I'm kind of new with this instructor and I don't want to get things off on the wrong foot. So, I'll just keep them. Maybe play them for a year and then sell them. I don't know. Here's what's hard about it for me: I worked so hard to save this money up. I have two kids, a wife, and a ton of bills. Plus, I'm also paying for a golf instructor, which is about sixty bucks a pop. I'm not complaining, but I'm not some rich guy. So for the last year, I've been saving all of my spare change (dollars too) and throwing it in a jar. And I'm just a stupid moron who should have kept his mouth shut. I was going to order the x22's from Rockbottom for 500 bucks! I was so bloody excited and I blabbed to my coach. I asked him if uniflex clubs were any good. Then, he said if I was ordering anything he'd cut me a deal. Plus, he'd add an extra half inch to the club and get them in a stiff flex. Then, the next thing I know, he texted me and told me that I could have the X20's for four hundred bucks. I didn't know they were so different. Just really, really disappointed in myself, is all. I guess I was just looking for people who had these NG things. And now it looks like I'm back to saving up again.

I'm sorry for the rant. I'm new on this board and don't want to wear out my welcome. So I'm finished complaining, wondering, pondering, etc. My pro is a great coach though. That's the important thing.

All is good.

If you have worked that hard to save the money then you have even more reason to cancel the order. You deserve to have a set of clubs that you want, and not a set of clubs you bought out of guilt because you didnt want to offend an instructor.

Car dealers do this kind of marketing all time. You make a couple of small concessions for people- go a little out of your way to help them... and they inturn will settle for something they arent 100% sold on just to "return the favor" of sorts.

IMO- Everything in your most recent post tells me that you should be cancelling the order.

I gotta tell you. Its not going to hurt his feelings, but spending this much money on something you dont want seems ridiculous. All he will do is turn around and send them back in most cases or resell them. You are paying him, it should be your feelings that matter and not his.

I wouldn't worry about his feelings being hurt. Its your money that you saved, spend it on what YOU want. By the sounds of things, you should return them.

Plus, we blame our clubs for everything, but when we purchase new ones we think "this is the club!" If you are already going in to it thinking "these clubs are crap and I didn't want them" you won't ever be satisfied.

Return them and get the X-22's or something else.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the "old" and "new" X-20's? I'm looking at buying a set and want to know if there is any confirmation that Callaway actually changed these clubs other than yelling dudes claims...

Back