Those Favorite Clubs

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I know this is not the first time somebody has started this discussion. However, it is fun to see new thoughts.

I have a TaylorMade 5 wood. For some reason, it is an absolute beast. I put it in and out of the bag because my home course has some long par 3s that set up a bit better for me with a hybrid that is around 17 or 18 degrees.

This 5 wood, though... Below is an example. I pulled a drive into a bunker. I was about 235 out, so I thought no need to be a hero. Hit a 7 iron our of the bunker and leave a nice little wedge into the green. However, I hit the 7 iron thin and caught the lip. The ball shot out sideways and I was now 240-ish out. So, I hit a 250 yard 5 wood and am lucky enough to get up and down for a par.

For second shots on par 5s, this club is amazing for me. I wish I knew what it is about this club that works so well for my swing so that I could replicate it. Do any of you have a club you almost never seem to miss on the strike? What makes it work so well for you?

849E3C2E-6EC1-452E-A640-8684CBAB359A.jpeg

I simply haven't been playing enough (and no practice) to be sharp with anything but I really like my fairway wood setup right now. A Rogue 4w I got last year and am still trying to tame. Its such a monster I've reached greens in 2 but also found rough that I never knew existed by hitting so far but 10 yards left of the green.

Then a BB Heavenwood that I probably should hit more often just to get the ball in play. I only hit it once last week on a really tight driving hole but ended up in a perfect position and only behind the one guy in the group that hit driver and he got lucky as the ball was never 2 yards off the ground but the hole is all downhill so it rolled out just past mine.

Lastly and still produces some of the prettiest shots I've ever hit, a 20 year old Dunlop 7w. Its been my most reliable 190-200 yard club forever. Again last Saturday I pulled a drive just left into a pond. Actually the ball was lost in the high grass along the bank. Took a lateral drop on the slope still in decent rough and hit the 7w 185 yards to put myself in perfect position for the 80 or yard approach. I had to choke down and take an easy swing and it was just a perfect high draw that settled just in front left of the fariway bunker.

I know this is not the first time somebody has started this discussion. However, it is fun to see new thoughts.

I have a TaylorMade 5 wood. For some reason, it is an absolute beast. I put it in and out of the bag because my home course has some long par 3s that set up a bit better for me with a hybrid that is around 17 or 18 degrees.

This 5 wood, though... Below is an example. I pulled a drive into a bunker. I was about 235 out, so I thought no need to be a hero. Hit a 7 iron our of the bunker and leave a nice little wedge into the green. However, I hit the 7 iron thin and caught the lip. The ball shot out sideways and I was now 240-ish out. So, I hit a 250 yard 5 wood and am lucky enough to get up and down for a par.

For second shots on par 5s, this club is amazing for me. I wish I knew what it is about this club that works so well for my swing so that I could replicate it. Do any of you have a club you almost never seem to miss on the strike? What makes it work so well for you?

Which 5wd is it?

19 BB 3H...it's a monster off the tee and ground (fairway, rough).

I feel like most are going to say a FW or hybrid, or their favorite wedge.

My answer isn't really brand specific, because it seems to become my favorite regardless of which company makes it. And that would be a 4-iron. Currently Forged Tec, but just about any 4-iron I've had in the bag becomes my favorite.

Long par 3 need to come in high on? - 4 iron
Can't find a fairway with driver? - 4 iron
In trouble and need to punch out of the trees? - 4 iron
Gave in to playing the forward tees and can't hit driver? - 4 iron
Tough lie but need some total distance? 4 iron
Bragged up your punch game the other day and find yourself in a crap lie almost 200 yards away and need to stay under branches? 4 iron
Swing feels like h*ll and have lost all confidence - 4 iron, because if you can hit a good one of those, you can hit the rest

and so on.

I don't really have a favorite right now. That might be good information for me to think about. I was :love: on my wedges but since I picked up new wedges, that's no longer the case. Hmm.

I find it nearly impossible to hit fairways and hybrids off the deck, except for my Maltby KE4 Tour TC #4 wood. This thing is great off the deck and off the tee. I am pondering a KE4 hybrid as well. If it's anything like the 4 wood I will be set.

My Fusion 7 and 5 fw woods followed by my 54 deg Cleveland wedge and coming up on the outside is my new Mavrik Max 10.5.

M5. The weight is set to draw, Tensei Orange stiff shaft.
Nice. I have not hit the M5/M6. I have an M4 that I'm currently hitting poorly. I kid, I hit it alright.

My Cobra F9 3 wood. I've never had a ton of confidence with fairway woods until this club. I still miss shots so it's not absolutely automatic but man my success rate and confidence with this thing is through the roof. I don't feel scared to pull this club and the distance I can get from it off the tee and off the deck is pretty great. Really happy to have this club in the bag and I have a feeling it will be here for a long time!

My Cobra F9 3 wood. I've never had a ton of confidence with fairway woods until this club. I still miss shots so it's not absolutely automatic but man my success rate and confidence with this thing is through the roof. I don't feel scared to pull this club and the distance I can get from it off the tee and off the deck is pretty great. Really happy to have this club in the bag and I have a feeling it will be here for a long time!
Super happy to see this club listed! I’m waiting for mine to arrive...

For me, it’s a Cobra F8 - 5W. I feel quite confident with it, though I still have a few mis-hits. This club is why I picked up the F9 - 3W.

If we’re not limiting it to swing clubs, I’ll also include my Scotty Newport 2.

I hit some better than others and not sure I have a favorite. Have to think about this. I like em all except not so much a 3 wood. I really like the driver, yet need to get 'em much straighter.

I would say right now I like the AW and PW because they have been really performing for me lately and on a the holes that I can use them as second shots I likey. Have been hitting them really straight and mostly pure to the greens, just gotta make them dang putts. I am sure fav clubs will change again.

Super happy to see this club listed! I’m waiting for mine to arrive...
You will love it! I was hitting it so well a buddy of mine ordered one like a week later. He’s hitting it and making it look effortless compared to his old one. This is a special club for sure! Let me know how it treats you!

My Titleist 503h 19* driving iron from 2007. I’ve tried to replace it more than a dozen times and it just made it’s way back into the bag after a brief trial with an Epic Forged 4 iron. I hit it straight nearly every time and can easily control the trajectory and shape of the shot.

18° Apex UT. Even though I currently play irons like hot garbage, more often than not this one works for me. It used to be if I needed a fairway, that club would find it.

Gotta go with my Cleveland 53-Diadic wedge with the raw/rusty finish. I chip greenside with it more than any other club. On full shots, I can really work it well for trajectory and spin; I feel like I have a great chance for birdie if I have it in my hands.

My PIng G410 SFT 5 wood that I won here on THP immediately was a club that was just amazing for me. I could be 200+ out from a green, hit with it and it would just launch so nice and straight for me from the deck.

Have not used it since I got all of the Morgan Cup clubs, but is one club that I did not trade in or sell off.

My answer isn't really brand specific, because it seems to become my favorite regardless of which company makes it. And that would be a 4-iron. Currently Forged Tec, but just about any 4-iron I've had in the bag becomes my favorite.

Bragged up your punch game the other day and find yourself in a crap lie almost 200 yards away and need to stay under branches? 4 iron
Swing feels like h*ll and have lost all confidence - 4 iron, because if you can hit a good one of those, you can hit the rest

and so on.

1000X this!

and so on.
I had been looking for a deal on a set of Apex 19s for what seem like forever. I'd run into several 5-AW sets that fell right into what I was comfortable paying but there was no way I was going to give up my 4i for ALL the reasons listed above. I almost pulled the trigger on a 5-AW set a couple of months ago and was just going to "find" the 4i to match the set. I couldn't ever seem to find a single 4i with the same shaft as the 5-AW set. So I waited, and waited, and waited.

I was going to find a set with a 4i or I wasn't buying a set. My wait finally ended today. My Smoke Apex 4-PW set showed up today. The first iron I'm hitting out of that set tomorrow morning is going to be that 4i. Love that freaking club. (y)

I had been looking for a deal on a set of Apex 19s for what seem like forever. I'd run into several 5-AW sets that fell right into what I was comfortable paying but there was no way I was going to give up my 4i for ALL the reasons listed above. I almost pulled the trigger on a 5-AW set a couple of months ago and was just going to "find" the 4i to match the set. I couldn't ever seem to find a single 4i with the same shaft as the 5-AW set. So I waited, and waited, and waited.

I was going to find a set with a 4i or I wasn't buying a set. My wait finally ended today. My Smoke Apex 4-PW set showed up today. The first iron I'm hitting out of that set tomorrow morning is going to be that 4i. Love that freaking club. (y)
I saw those beauties!! Congrats. And as far as 4-irons go, Apex 19 is bad*ss MF'er.

I have a Tour issue RBZ 5 wood that is always my go to when my newer fws go awry.
Also have an old Ping Redwood Anser putter that is a phenomenal backup to reset the feels.

For me at the moment its my Taylormade Rescue 11 Hybrid set to 20*

I was contemplating changing it out to a Titleist 818 but I just can't do it.

Its my goto from the tee, I just know I am going to hit a good shot with it

Not bad for a 9 year old hybrid

19* hybrid for me. I always move the ball down the line with that club. Even when I don't get all of it I usually hit it thin and then it just rolls for freaking ever because there is no spin on it.

Back