Those who’ve moved to Florida - hate it/love it?

I've played a few courses in Florida and as courses go prefer northern courses. I think I don't like the greens or something. I'm not knocking Florida but the terraine and environemtent don't make it a top golf destination to me.

I just think you don't like hitting off Bermuda grass. I had a couple of friends go to Florida to play golf. The starter happened to be a expatriate NE Ohioan, and asked them if they'd ever played on Bermuda before. When they said no, he advised them to play the ball further back in their stance. After the round their feelings were, "Back in your stance? How about behind your stance?!" They had one hell of a time with that grass.

My Sis and BIL moved down there from upstate NY at least a decade ago. They live on the Atlantic coast in Melbourne. The "Space Coast" to be precise. Or less precise now that I think about it. She says the Winters are pretty easy to take, and the Summers aren't really that bad. Besides, they have A/C, so what's the problem?

I have a couple of golf friends who still do the snowbird routine. They head down there for the Winter and come back up here in the Spring. They have an enormous RV that they drive back and forth, and that they live in while they are down there. They have it all mapped out. And they play nearly every day while in Florida. Plus, the lady takes lessons. They only started playing a few years ago, because my buddy got his Sister into the game, and she got her husband into it.

We play them in 2 person scrambles. At first, they were easy to beat. They were beginners, and it didn't matter how many strokes we spotted them. We'd work it by 9 holes. However many strokes we beat them by on the front 9 was how many strokes we would give them on the back. It has gotten to the point where they are actually a threat to us, and have actually beaten us a few times this past season!

I need to get to the range!

I think it will depend on the area that you are looking to move. We just moved from Northeast Ohio to Northeast Florida in March. Absolutely love the area...not to much tourism in this area unless you head down to St. Augustine. It's warm & gets in the 30-40's in Dec/Jan, but don't regret not having to see snow anymore.
North East Ohio has had two big snows this winter , so far. the winters have been mild the last few years......like living in Florida....LOL!

North East Ohio has had two big snows this winter , so far. the winters have been mild the last few years......like living in Florida....LOL!
It seems like it minus the taxes...

I’ve wanted to make the move for years. Our initial fears are more economic, secondary fears are cultural. Absolutely no fear of heat / humidity. Living in New England is oppressive (if you don’t partake in winter activities... which we don’t).

As a secondary level teacher of art (primarily photography) I think / fear there would be a 0.03% I could replicate my income down there.

Florida is a beautiful place to live, the golf courses are in good condition most of the time and there are a ton of choices.

We moved to Delray from myrtle and at first we were enamored with it, unreal choices for restaurants, incredible beaches and weather but the people killed it for us over there. The south east coast of fla is beautiful But wasn’t for us, the west coast is incredible too

My parents moved to Florida and they love it.

Don’t live there but have family that does and I’ve spent a lot of time there. Seems if you’re a refuge of northern winters then you’ll love it, but if you already live in a place like the southwest you may feel differently.

Pros : Tons of great golf, tons of great fishing, no cold weather, the beaches and ocean waters in most places are so great it’s like living in a tropical paradise.
Cons: Crazy hot, crazy humidity. You better like being moist and sweaty All The Time. Better make peace with skin cancer and cataracts too. Hurricanes are not to be underestimated.
Something many don’t know: In the summer, many places near the coast get rain every single day. You can almost set your watch by it. Get your golf in early.

IMO unless you’re married to the idea of being close to the ocean, NM or Arizona are probably better choices.

Somebody also mentioned something about moving from Nebraska to Texas to get away from property taxes. If that’s the plan you’re going to very disappointed.

Don’t live there but have family that does and I’ve spent a lot of time there. Seems if you’re a refuge of northern winters then you’ll love it, but if you already live in a place like the southwest you may feel differently.

Pros : Tons of great golf, tons of great fishing, no cold weather, the beaches and ocean waters in most places are so great it’s like living in a tropical paradise.
Cons: Crazy hot, crazy humidity. You better like being moist and sweaty All The Time. Better make peace with skin cancer and cataracts too. Hurricanes are not to be underestimated.
Something many don’t know: In the summer, many places near the coast get rain every single day. You can almost set your watch by it. Get your golf in early.

IMO unless you’re married to the idea of being close to the ocean, NM or Arizona are probably better choices.

Somebody also mentioned something about moving from Nebraska to Texas to get away from property taxes. If that’s the plan you’re going to very disappointed.
Fwiw the “crazy hot” is quite overblown based on where you are. It’s a pretty big state. We rarely saw temps above low 90s and of humidity doesn’t bother people as much, it’s not bad at all.

It’s warm, no doubt about it, but very different than the heat of the southwest.

I have lived in both coasts of Florida and in the center of the state, if I had to choose I would pick the west coast of Florida every time. The people are much nicer, and while Clearwater beach can be touristy, the city as a whole isn’t.

Yea, it’s hot, and yes it’s humid, very humid, but not everyone minds that. I had a hard time with the heat, but I run very warm all the time.

It does rain pretty much everyday in the summer, and you can set your watch to it. Between 4-6 every evening it will rain, but it’s usually short, maybe 15 minutes.

I lived in Florida for 35 years and yes, I’ve been through probably a dozen hurricanes, but I honestly find those far less scary then a tornado. Now that we live in TN, my biggest fear here are tornadoes.

Florida won’t be for everyone, but I do think it has a lot of merits. Someone said they felt unsafe, and I think that’s just where they stayed, because I’ve lived all over the state and I’ve never felt unsafe. I also think a lot of that has to do with not knowing your surroundings, it’s hard when you aren’t familiar with a place to know if something is unsafe and rundown or maybe just old. Florida has a lot of old places that don’t always look great, but are super safe. Just my two cents there.

Anyway, I’m always happy to answers questions since I have lived in many areas there and I don’t have a problem saying when something is bad or good.

Fwiw the “crazy hot” is quite overblown based on where you are. It’s a pretty big state. We rarely saw temps above low 90s and of humidity doesn’t bother people as much, it’s not bad at all.

It’s warm, no doubt about it, but very different than the heat of the southwest.

I’m sure you’re probably right but it reminds me of what everybody said before I (temporarily) moved to Seattle. “Oh, people over exaggerate the rain, it doesn’t rain as much as they say it does”. Yeah, no. During the 10 months that’s not summer it rains almost every day. The total volume may not be high but that place is always wet. There’s a reason it’s the birthplace of all-day coffee, grunge music, flannel and depression.

And I’ll take 102 degrees in Albuquerque over 90 degrees in Florida all day long. No humidity there and it makes a HUGE difference.

I live in NE Ohio and we only had one snow that I had to shovel this winter. And I only had to shovel around and behind the truck. I could drive over the rest. Last winter, we had a snow that I had to be plowed out of! I put it off as long as I could, but I eventually went out there to start shoveling. I did the deal around and behind the trucks and looked down the length of the driveway! No freaking way!

It seems like it minus the taxes...

That's true. Ohio's property tax system is totally screwed up! There's a local talk show host who own a house in a nice suburb of Cleveland. It's probably worth $350-$400K in the local market. It would be worth 4 or 5 times that in Cali! The thing is, the house is paid for, and the monthly property tax bill is now more than his mortgage payment was when he was buying the house!

Then, he related the story of a friend who moved to Florida and bought a $1Mill+ house, and paid less in property taxes than the radio host! Florida survives on tourist tax dollars! Ohio cannot!

Yes! The heat of the west and southwest is dry, while yours is soggy and wet! What could be preferable about that?! I toured Napa Valley vineyards in August, when the temps can be smoking hot! We experienced quite a few 110 degree days in a row. Yes, it was hot, but the air was dry. We would sweat, but the sweat would dry and cool us off! And when the sun set, it got COOL out! It was the most delightful climate I have ever experienced!

I'm an economic refugee who moved to FL about 3 months ago. I'm in the Port Charlotte area for convenience and family reasons but spend a lot to time in Sarasota. I definitely like it there because the city is more active, better restaurants, nicer golf courses, and we enjoy the arts. Still planning to spend the summer months up north. I've been spending more time in FL for the last 3 years so it was a natural decision. November to May is the current plan.

I'm an economic refugee who moved to FL about 3 months ago. I'm in the Port Charlotte area for convenience and family reasons but spend a lot to time in Sarasota. I definitely like it there because the city is more active, better restaurants, nicer golf courses, and we enjoy the arts. Still planning to spend the summer months up north. I've been spending more time in FL for the last 3 years so it was a natural decision. November to May is the current plan.

Sarasota is awesome, holy cow there’s some good golf over there and the food is damn good. Two senoritas for Mexican, Shakespeare’s pub for fish and chips with great fries, can’t remember the wing joint but it was really good too.

the west coast is awesome

Yes! The heat of the west and southwest is dry, while yours is soggy and wet! What could be preferable about that?! I toured Napa Valley vineyards in August, when the temps can be smoking hot! We experienced quite a few 110 degree days in a row. Yes, it was hot, but the air was dry. We would sweat, but the sweat would dry and cool us off! And when the sun set, it got COOL out! It was the most delightful climate I have ever experienced!

Humidity doesn't bother all people the same. I personally prefer 90 and humid to that of 110+ in the southwest of AZ. Other people might like the other side. CA was not a part of the post I quoted.

Sarasota is awesome, holy cow there’s some good golf over there and the food is damn good. Two senoritas for Mexican, Shakespeare’s pub for fish and chips with great fries, can’t remember the wing joint but it was really good too.

the west coast is awesome

Bogeys was the wing place.

Also, good to see your name popping up again friend!

Humidity doesn't bother all people the same. I personally prefer 90 and humid to that of 110+ in the southwest of AZ. Other people might like the other side. CA was not a part of the post I quoted.

True, but it's the same phenomenon, dry air. I have come to detest humidity, but I think it has something to do with age. Back in the day, when I walked and carried, it didn't matter! Nowadays, I hate the feeling of my clothes sticking to me. Thank God performance fabrics have become so readily available.

My Sis and BIL moved down there from upstate NY not far from Buffalo. They love it. They live in Melbourne, and she tells me the winters are really nice, and in summer? Well, that's what AC is for! My main golf buddy's Sis and BIL do the "snowbird" routine. They have a motor home that they drive down to FLA in late October, and drive back up here in late March/early April! They play golf nearly every day when they're down there! They are getting pretty good!

True, but it's the same phenomenon, dry air. I have come to detest humidity, but I think it has something to do with age. Back in the day, when I walked and carried, it didn't matter! Nowadays, I hate the feeling of my clothes sticking to me. Thank God performance fabrics have become so readily available.

My Sis and BIL moved down there from upstate NY not far from Buffalo. They love it. They live in Melbourne, and she tells me the winters are really nice, and in summer? Well, that's what AC is for! My main golf buddy's Sis and BIL do the "snowbird" routine. They have a motor home that they drive down to FLA in late October, and drive back up here in late March/early April! They play golf nearly every day when they're down there! They are getting pretty good!

So true, I remember as a kid you didn't care that it was 102 outside with 70% humidity, and you also didn't mind swimming in 63 degree water. Today both are a big nope. I think you're also on the money with the snowbird routine. By Memorial Day you pack the bags and head somewhere else if you can.

So true, I remember as a kid you didn't care that it was 102 outside with 70% humidity, and you also didn't mind swimming in 63 degree water. Today both are a big nope. I think you're also on the money with the snowbird routine. By Memorial Day you pack the bags and head somewhere else if you can.

Your comment made me recall something. About 3-4 years ago my main golf buddy, during a round of golf, allowed as to how he thought there might be something to this "global warming" stuff! He said the sun felt hotter to him. One day, I went out to a local county metropark, because it was about time for the Chanterelle mushroom to be up. There were a couple of families using the local splash pad and playground. It was obvious from the first glance that these kids were not "video game" kids! They were whip thin, and in constant motion!

And they didn't spend all their time near the water! There was big open baseball outfield that butted up against their area, that was spang out in the sun, and they ran all over in it. They were all over the playground, also in the sun! The next time my buddy and I got together for golf I told him that the sun wasn't getting any hotter. We were just getting older!

Bogeys was the wing place.

Also, good to see your name popping up again friend!

Thanks Mike good to see you man.

Bogeys was awesome, good salads good wings, University park was a Fun course too as well as Waterlefe, those were good times

IMO, humidity is very misunderstood. Some of the most humid cities in the US rarely have days hot enough even in the summer that would make anyone uncomfortable. Seattle, San Francisco, Portland OR, and Los Angeles are some of the most humid cities in the U.S. (as nearly all coastal cities are) but have very comfortable summers. I lived in the “dry” heat of Sacramento for over 20 years and 85-90* there is very comfortable - similar to a day in the low 70’s in San Francisco. The reason why very humid cities like San Diego and San Francisco are comfortable is the the temperature and humidity rarely get that high at the same time - the heat index is comfortable most of the time. San Diego doesn’t have average high’s above 70* until early June and has less that 60 days each year where the average high is above 75. People in San Diego don’t complain about the humidity because the heat index is still comfortable or more likely, they don’t know how humid their city is.

All of us are different in what we can handle for temperatures - maybe it’s what we grew up with and there is something to getting conditioned to the weather. My wife and her mom grew up in the Pensacola area and they don’t seem to mind hot humid weather nearly as much as I do(sometimes they seem to enjoy it, lol) but I spent my first 33 years in MN/WI. I was out shoveling snow yesterday with no jacket or gloves and I often go skiing when the high temps are in the teens or lower and seem to need fewer layers than most and never have trouble with my feet getting cold even in below zero ski conditions.

Here are the most humid large cities in the U.S. and there is obviously a huge difference in how comfortable or hot their summers are.

ECF20A01-0DFB-4818-B8A0-E931384EC04C.jpeg

And here are the cities with the highest summer heat index’s. I only like high heat index days if I can spend it on a boat or in the water but my wife’s mom loves being in south Florida for the summers. Florida has ideal weather IMO from early November through about early April when temps and humidity levels are very similar to those in MN from late May through mid September. Given the choice of MN or FL year round, my wife would choose Florida and I would choose MN. We compromised and will spend 6 months in each state. :)

6E0E7DCA-10AB-469B-B740-A6690AECC4E4.png

Last edited:
My wife and I lived there 15 years, great golf etc. But we got burned out on the humidity

We're in Fl about 6 1/2 months a year and like it. Was only here one summer and I didn't mind but my wife doesn't like the heat and humidity. In the summer you need to do your outside stuff early then find the AC. I'm one of those that would rather sweat in the summer than get cold in the winter.

It really is person dependent. I hate the heat and humidity, but my parents absolutely love it. They moved to Florida from NYC when I was 3 and they would take the heat and humidity over the cold and snow all day every day. Now, we just moved from Florida to Nashville, TN and everyone kept warning us about the heat and humidity here, and while the temps were actually higher than Florida, we didn't think it felt nearly as hot and humid. Actually, I take that back, it felt hotter, just not as humid. Now with that said, I found the heat and humidity in Myrtle Beach to be hands down the worst I have ever experienced, and it isn't even close. Florida felt like San Diego (to me) compared to there.

As someone who has admitted many times here that I hate the heat and humidity, I would still live in Florida before I would live in California, but that's a personal preference because I dislike California. The only redeeming quality about that state to me is the weather, but that's just a personal preference, which I am sure has a lot to do with growing up in Florida.

Thanks for all the input. Mrs. TLuke is heading Tuesday to Inverness, FL to look at a house at Lakeside CC. Properties are super hot now, so now I’m afraid we’ll get in a bidding war that will exceed our price point. Wish us luck!

Back