Thoughts on Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Shaft

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I've been working on the driver with my instructor at GolfTec and after watching my latest set of videos and looking at my ball speed, I am pretty sure I need to move from a Stiff Shaft to an Extra Stiff Shaft. While club head speed is only estimated using a 1.45 smash factor based off of actual ball speed measurement, I'm consistently seeing speeds that work out to be in the 110 to 115 range.

I currently hit a stiff Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 and the Fujikura online shaft fitting tool puts me in the Speeder 757 Evolution. Has anyone had any experience with it? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I've been working on the driver with my instructor at GolfTec and after watching my latest set of videos and looking at my ball speed, I am pretty sure I need to move from a Stiff Shaft to an Extra Stiff Shaft. While club head speed is only estimated using a 1.45 smash factor based off of actual ball speed measurement, I'm consistently seeing speeds that work out to be in the 110 to 115 range.

I currently hit a stiff Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 and the Fujikura online shaft fitting tool puts me in the Speeder 757 Evolution. Has anyone had any experience with it? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I played the Speeder Evolution 757 in a Stiff flex (tipped 1") for the later part of this past Fall after playing the previous Speeder 757 for the year prior, both shafts in my Cobra Bio Cell +, Pro, and now Fly-Z + heads.

When first making the change the very first thing I saw on the launch monitors was that I was generating 3-6 mph more club head speed which then gave me a bump of a few mph in my ball speeds. In addition to the additional head speed, my spin numbers were very consistent with my other 757, and I was able to get them even lower after getting more comfortable with what the shaft was able to do. Checking them both on the scale, they came in the at the same weight, but there is a more lively feeling in the Evolution. Also, when I say it has a lively feel, I definitely am not saying it feels loose or unstable. I have put the torque on a bunch of shafts that I can feel start to load up, then have it be anyone's guess where the head will be at the bottom of the swing. With both the original 757 and not the Evolution there is a great feeling of the shaft storing up energy and delivering it consistently every time. I tried out the Evolution Tour Spec that Taylormade is offering in the new R15s and felt like I preferred my own Evolution. With that said, I also have mine tipped and cut to a length I prefer and that could be impacting my feeling between very similar shafts.

Now, I'm not saying the original 757 doesn't have a unique and great feel, one of the reasons I play it in all my woods is being able to feel it load up when I swing it. However, the Evolution had a load I could feel even more and where my ball was ending up on the course was all the evidence I needed to keep it in my driver. I have tried out about a dozen new shafts from Fujikura and other makers since gaming the Evolution and it has yet to get beat out. I recently put a 7M3 Black Tie in my new Fly-Z + head to see how it plays out, but I have a pretty string feeling already that the Evo will be locked back in as soon as the MN winter lets up and I don't have to play in the simulator anymore.

Regarding your potential movement from a Stiff to an X-Flex, the feeling of the Evolution might give you the feeling that you're putting a good bend, or even too much, on an X or a Stiff but definitely try both if you can on a GC2/Trackman type setup somewhere. My ego pushes me into thinking I need an X from time to time, but the numbers always tell me that a tipped S flex in a lot of the shafts I have tested is that S+ range that I need to be in. On SS alone the general numbers put me in an X, but because of the why I swing the club a stiffer tipped Stiff is the type of shaft that seems to fit me best.

Hope this helps.

Today was the first day with the 757 Evo TS / Callaway 815 DBD 10.5, +1 N
The build is bit long right now; 45.75 / D5.5 / 1gm toe, 3gm heal
Shaft is N1 to target , S1 at 12 o clock, 264cpm
Shaft is installed about 1/16th short of the bottom of the hosel

This shaft is perfect flex! Loong and I can turn it over, but its a tad heavy overall. The shaft feels like boron graphite, its lively, smooth, tight dispersion.
My Launch was upper low to medium rockets that flat lined strong with excellent rollout. I could hit it upper medium trajectory into wind that bored and stayed up a long time
My go to shot was a high draw, swinging inside out +AoA, I became repeatable very easy, actually this shaft makes shaping shots easy...get what you pay for!
This shaft will 'light up' your head...its smoking!
Sure dosn't feel like my Attas T2 80x, it feels lighter, perhaps its counter balanced a tad?
I know whats going in my 3 wd...

Last edited:
Today was the first day with the 757 Evo TS / Callaway 815 DBD 10.5, +1 N
The build is bit long right now; 45.75 / D5 / 1gm toe, 3gm heal
Shaft is N1 to target , S1 at 12 o clock, 264cpm

This shaft is perfect! Loong and I can turn it over if I need. The shaft feels like boron graphite, its lively, smooth, tight dispersion.
My Launch was upper low to medium rockets that flat lined strong with excellent rollout. I could hit it upper medium trajectory into wind that bored and stayed up a long time
My go to shot was a high draw, swinging inside out +AoA, I became repeatable very easy, actually this shaft makes shaping shots easy...get what you pay for!
This shaft will 'light up' your head...its smoking!
Sure dosn't feel like my Attas T2 80x, it feels lighter, perhaps its counter balanced a tad?
I know whats going in my 3 wd...
I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with my 757 Evolution TS. Glad you like yours too. I don't think I would put it into my fairway woods as I'm pleased with the stock Fujikara X-Stiff staff in my 14 and 16 degree wood.

Still adjusting the 757 Evo TS x...so here is some data. Keep in mind I have a 3gm weight instead of the 5grm in the heal, making a slightly lighter head weight.
The previous swingweight at D5.5 with a 80gram shaft has me getting stuck sometimes, resulting in a straight push to right fw
So knowing the first build is a trial at a 'slightly' longer length in relation to D5.5 Sw. Basically I feel its 1 SW point too heavy but the flex is fine.

I pull the shaft, and re-set the tip fully in the hosel, then trim 1/16 off the butt. This equals a 1/8th shorter, just over 45.5. I install a Golf Pride Z Cord 1 wrap left, 2 wraps right. The Sw is Now D4. The Butt CPM on my FM Precision frequency anlyser (6in clamp/grip on) is now 270cpm S1 to target. +1 Draw setting
I am liking the logo down orientation (S1 to target) as I am able to still turn it over nice, and get a tad higher launch and bit tighter dispersion
I am surprised the cpm went up 6points, however this is a solid shaft, so BEWARE tipping it too much...if at all

Ok off to play for a few rounds. Overall the profile is 'a lot stiffer' and I am now working to get it going. I find playing a tad more +AoA and swinging a bit wider, making a good turn has it going well. I feel I am swinging at near full capacity. I am getting 'sneeky' long yardage. The sound is LOUD! and metallic, and reminds me of a over stiff boron graphite feel. My dispersion is 'tight' and am putting it out there with medium launch climbing flat line drives that seem to land a roll out. Some thin shots are flying low, yet rolling out a looong way! I feel I am a tad too stiff 'for me' but can manage ok. I think pulling the shaft back out 1/16 out of the hosel, and getting my SW up 1/2 point will be just right. I am almost there ;) I will say the head weight feel at D4 feels 'a lot' lighter and easier to get around than D5.5.

This shaft could easily tame down your bigger 460cc head for sure!...I'll be back with the final adjustments and some LM numbers.

I am also thinking the non TS blue shaft could be a fit for me as well, particularly if the build was sub 45.5 length, it has the same butt flex but a tad flexier tip. So keep a eye on your smash factor. If your under 1.5 the blue non TS shaft could bump it up a bit

Last edited:
Today's round was much better with the driver, the too stiff feeling has 'gone', as well as the loud metallic sound. I pulled the tip back 1/8 inch, SW went up almost one point, and cpm went down 2 points.
I was now drawing the ball, almost hooking, so I changed D +1 to N +1, and bingo it straightened it out again to my mild draw medium trajectory (11.5 loft)
This shaft is solid and probably suited for a higher SS than me, however I am at 45.75 now D4.5, so call it over length setup.
I guess today I was approx 103-5mph, hard loading. My drives are out there more from 275-280, now 290, one went 332 downwind. I have that smooth Fuji feel back.
I have never had a build at this length be this stable, as really I am going up a flex, and am probably suited to the non TS blue 757. I would play the non TS blue 757 at 45-45.5. I am playing logo down S1 at 3 o clock so its the stiffer profile down the line
I will say there is a BIG difference with this shaft with SW over D5. the 80gm shaft weight and higher SW don't work unless your a Gorilla. I have always played 80gm shafts around D3-4, however the swap of the 5gm to a 3 gm heal weight has lightened the head a tad.
I reset/installed the shaft today in exactly the same orientation. This has been 3 re-sets to get it right, all I can say is extract the shaft with low heat and then get the tip in a glass of water FAST to cool it off quick and you should be able to do this many times. I did manage to un-snap the Cally DBD double cogs off the tip first with a bit of a pull, after a glass of cold ice water (contracts metal), from there I could apply even heat rotaating the tip 4 times, 3-4 seconds each side, then pull it fast. The alloy tips heat up VERY quick so beware!, or have a professional club maker do it for you, as your messing with a $400 shaft, as you can cook it fast, you really have to work very quick and have all tools ready to go!.
Also previously I ditched the Cally Ferrell, as it weighs about 1 sw point, and filled the countersink with epoxy to support the shaft, this too adds to tip action as the ferrell locked in the hosel and glued to the shaft kinda shuts the tip action down 1/2 inch. Yes all this matters if your trying to get the profile /tip softer. I would not realy advise tipping this TS shaft till your SS is 112-115mph+ depending on your build length. If you dont have all the equipment like I do just go logo down, length cut it at D4 with a full cord grip as your balance
The DBD head is nice as its fully adjustable and I can dial in the last flight adjustments in so many ways, this is why the FlyZ+ had to go.
Finally I am here, so I will get used to it for a while then get LM numbers. About the only improvements left is getting my face shaved, then cryo freezing. I have done this before to 4-5 heads that were amazing. I recall a R11s and a R1, but all this get expensive and by that time next years model is here...

Last edited:
Just got another one of these shafts for my 3w, however I installed another Cally dbd tip on it to compare it it my current one.
First off this shaft has a firmer spine at 282cpm with S1 at 3 o clock at my build SW/length. I am finding it hard to get flo on this flippy spine edge. So N2 to target, S1 12 o clock should tame any droop. Down to 268cpm here, flights are faster and tight dispersion. This spine is in control with this shaft. Am liking this shaft better over the other one.
Perhaps I bought the ugly duckings in terms of radial consistency, however placing them in the right orientation to my desired loft can be a winner. If I want to change loft orientation I will have to pull it.
Just goes to show no one shaft is alike...or even set in the same place afterwards...like I always say...don't sell your gamer till your Damn sure you have a better one to replace it or your SOL

Last edited:
My swings is a bit off with this shaft right now, been playing daily & range so I guess I am whopped, down on SS and a tad tight in my turn, the low torque (2.6) is not so forgiving paired with the Cally DBD head, miss hits (=pulls) are punishing me right now.
I will have to get to the range and grove it back. I am thinking the big sweet spot of the G30 Ls or 915 D2 might be a better pair at 45.75 length with this shaft, depending if I can locate a lighter head

My swings is a bit off with this shaft right now, been playing daily & range so I guess I am whopped, down on SS and a tad tight in my turn, the low torque (2.6) is not so forgiving paired with the Cally DBD head, miss hits (=pulls) are punishing me right now.
I will have to get to the range and grove it back. I am thinking the big sweet spot of the G30 Ls or 915 D2 might be a better pair at 45.75 length with this shaft, depending if I can locate a lighter head
That's LONG. I am playing at 45"

Just installed a Speeder 757 Evo TS x-stiff in my Aeroburner TP 18* 5 wood, shaft is un-tipped, 42.25 D4
Wow darts, hit one 235y to 5 feet for tap in eagle. Then dropped a few more balls down and ripped shots in there all hitting the green 'easy'.
The low torque is roping them. Personally I think the shaft preforms well with the added loft at 18*.
It was blowing 20-30 here in Fla today and it preformed very well in wind, held its line and penetrated., side winds did not hurt too much either. This easily kicked out the G25 /5w /Speeder VC 8.2 that was nice and in my bag 2 years, many eagles and even a albatross. Aeroburner TP hits a med / high bombs, dispersion is very tight!, my thin shots still fly and end up not too bad...its my new weapon! ( I have the 3w HL too :)...may opt for a 661 TS x in that

Back