Thoughts on orange whip?

For me, by tempo I mean slowing down and swinging smoothly. I get violent / out of control in transition at times and it leads to inconsistent strikes and drives OB. This helps me find that smooth, quick tempo I need to get the most out of my swing.
This is me also. When I start feeling uncomfortable for any stupid reason, my transition gets fast and violent. The Orange Whip has helped me to keep my tempo smooth at transition. Get violent with OW at the top and it will let you know!

I don't quite understand the tempo benefits everyone mentions. If you swing it with a smoother tempo than your golf swing it's because you're putting effort into that tempo. The same effort you can/would have to put into a golf swing tempo outside your norm. I don't think it naturally limits your tempo as a device, because I have a quick tempo and I can crank on the thing. If your swing is balanced and your wrist is strong at the top it doesn't seem to limit tempo at all, imo. :confused2:

I'm pretty sure I've used the word "tempo" when discussing the benefits of the orange whip as well, but it is actually helping with timing/sequencing. If you try to jerk the handle down, spin out, or do something really out of sequence or off plane the flexible shaft is going to bend in a way that it provides immediate feedback. You'll end up feeling like you are fighting the flex in the OW shaft as opposed to allowing it to load and unload properly.

And I agree, you can still swing the OW fast without issue as long as you are producing the speed in the correct manner. I still have mine and use it occasionally. It says in my garage as opposed to my bag so I don't use it as often as I should.

Glad to see this thread pop up. They should advertise that its time to whip out the Orange Whip and start to get the golf muscles ready for Spring time.
I should have the Whip as part of my workout regime.

Mine has a permanent place in my bag and goes everywhere - even if it's just to warm up for a few minutes on the first tee.

That's well said, and shows where personal bias as a fast tempo guy probably comes in for me. I meant that for someone like me, it takes effort to slow it down. I have to be the one to do it, not the whip. I have a friend trying to get rid of a pause at the top, and the whip really forces him to focus on that. Again, my perception of who's doing what, but that's one case where I can see it really benefiting a high capper. How you mentioned 'sequencing' probably applies more universally, because if it's off that thing will get away from you in a hurry, and I can see that kind of feedback and required correction playing a big part in what people perceive as a smoother tempo. (y)

Like I said, I use it more for the physical aspects of rotation, and it is a good warmup tool. One thing I thought about the other day is that for some it might actually help to shallow their swing a bit (using the full length whips). With how much it downward flexes, to keep it off the ground you have to swing a little flat. I could see that repetitive action having an influence on a golf swing.

This is me also. When I start feeling uncomfortable for any stupid reason, my transition gets fast and violent. The Orange Whip has helped me to keep my tempo smooth at transition. Get violent with OW at the top and it will let you know!

I'm pretty sure I've used the word "tempo" when discussing the benefits of the orange whip as well, but it is actually helping with timing/sequencing. If you try to jerk the handle down, spin out, or do something really out of sequence or off plane the flexible shaft is going to bend in a way that it provides immediate feedback. You'll end up feeling like you are fighting the flex in the OW shaft as opposed to allowing it to load and unload properly.

And I agree, you can still swing the OW fast without issue as long as you are producing the speed in the correct manner. I still have mine and use it occasionally. It says in my garage as opposed to my bag so I don't use it as often as I should.

One of the disadvantages of the Orange Whip is - obviously - you can't hit balls with it. All the tempo talk & getting quick or violent with transitions, sequencing, etc. reminded me of another product that people might actually prefer to the Orange Whip:

It's called the G Force Swing Trainer: There are multiple threads on it (Maybe moderators could merge them?):

This is a flexible 7 iron that has a lot of the same benefits as the Orange Whip in terms of swing sequencing. The advantage & the challenge is to actually hit golf balls with it!

I plan on getting this back out & working with it ASAP.

Back