Thoughts on orange whip?

Just cashed in a golfsmith store credit and picked one up. I hear a lot of good stuff about this one, so I figured, why not.

I purchased an OW in January and it has tremendously helped with my swing and balance. At first it threw off my rhythm but once I got use to it, it has helped it. A LOT. I swing it before the round and it helps me more than beating balls on the range. What I love the most is when you swing the OW then pick up a club, it's like swinging a feather. I never leave home without it. It also helped with me creating more lag.

Agreed on the above statement. I really love the OW

Is there any noticeable difference between the OW and the Skilz? I notice that the Skilz can be had for <$50 right now which might allow me to save a few shekels for other golf items.

Is there any noticeable difference between the OW and the Skilz? I notice that the Skilz can be had for <$50 right now which might allow me to save a few shekels for other golf items.

I think the SKLZ actually weighs a little more and the grip cannot be replaced when wore out as the OW can be replaced with another grip and weighs slightly less.

Spent some time with the OW this morning. I love how it almost forces me to have a smooth tempo regardless of speed otherwise I feel WAY off balance. The audio feedback is an added plus. I can really hear and feel the ball on the end when I'm releasing at the correct time for optimal club head speed. After 5 minuets with the OW whip, my driver felt like is wasn't really there, but when I swung the club, I was able to maintain the same smooth tempo I was feeling with the OW.

I think I'm really going to like having this.

if anyone finds that their whip is just gathering dust i'd like to try it out. send me a PM if you got one just laying around.

My new favorite training aid, been visualizing it on my tee shots and killing it with tempo.

if anyone finds that their whip is just gathering dust i'd like to try it out. send me a PM if you got one just laying around.

I'd love for you to have one but don't want to part with my sklz. It's worth the money though, couple swings in the backyard and you'll see what the fuss is about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone ever see the OW go on sale here or there? I'm thinking the counter-weight may make it worth a bit more than the Sklz, but it would be nice to save something off MSRP.

Does anyone ever see the OW go on sale here or there? I'm thinking the counter-weight may make it worth a bit more than the Sklz, but it would be nice to save something off MSRP.

I used a $25 off of $100 through one of the big golf sites to get mine.

Keep,an eye on e-bay. Retailers sell them for about $100 and used ones occasionally get listed for a little less than that.

Keep,an eye on e-bay. Retailers sell them for about $100 and used ones occasionally get listed for a little less than that.
Thank you - I will keep on eye on it. I notice that rock bottom has them for $99 but you pay for shipping, and golfgalaxy has a coupon for $30 off when you spend $130 - so there are options out there as well.
Either way, I am thinking it's time to pull the trigger and put one of these in my bag.

Got a new view of this training aid this week on my 3d swing analysis tool (shows video as well as weight xfer)--it really does so much for the golf swing. I have recorded my orange whip swing to put beside my real swing for improvements needed.

Got a new view of this training aid this week on my 3d swing analysis tool (shows video as well as weight xfer)--it really does so much for the golf swing. I have recorded my orange whip swing to put beside my real swing for improvements needed.

Nice dude, that's intriguing as heck to me.

I adore mine, it's helped my balance so so so so so so so much.

That's fantastic!
There are so many training aids/gimmicks out there that it's easy to be pessimistic. The OW seems to have some of the strongest real life reviews of anything I've ever seen.

So when talking with a friend at the course I was asked what the Orange whip really helped me with. So it made me really think through its benefits...

Let me start by saying that I have 2 orange whip Models the Hickory 38" and the Golden 44". I had owned the Skilz trainer for some time in the 48 inch model and it was always big and awkward and set in the garage unused for a long time. After seeing this thread while traveling for work I tried out the Hickory model in a golf store--this was perfect--more like my 8 iron swing. So I picked up it and the 44 inch model that is just an inch under my driver length. I am so glad I got these two lengths--It translates directly to a real club length I play and I often imagine it in my hands while swinging a real club.

So back to how this helps my real swing--what things do I try to do in my swing that this tool promotes naturally:

1. One Piece take away--if you collapse early pulling the club inside you feel the awkward flex on the club and so smoothing out the bend in the backswing is a one piece take away.
2. Balance --swinging this through lets you feel the balance with the flex
3. tempo --smooth tempo make the whip feel right in the transition.
4. Sequencing--working from the ground up makes the best swing with the whip
5. weight transfer--soft hands and arms and still whipping the club through teaches that the weight shift allow this to happen naturally without getting handsy.
6. general fitness--warm up, stretching, flexibility

There are other tools out there that have benefits like these, but this is by far one of the best. Having both types I recommend the extra money on the Real Orange whip brand--it is a better product in weighting and design. If you had to get only one I personally (just my opinion) would get the 38" only as it applies to more of the clubs I use for my own visualization.

That's a great post Ward, I really agree on all counts.

Great post Ward! I've been on the fence about the SKLZ over the OW, but I think you sold me on the 38" hickory version!

I agree with those above - thanks for the great post Ward!
Unfortunately though, now you've got me wanting two Orange Whips... I had myself sold on the longer one because my driver and flexibility need the most work, but now I am wondering if that's the wrong way to go about it.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your experience(s) so we could all learn and make a more well-informed decision.

I agree with those above - thanks for the great post Ward!
Unfortunately though, now you've got me wanting two Orange Whips... I had myself sold on the longer one because my driver and flexibility need the most work, but now I am wondering if that's the wrong way to go about it.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your experience(s) so we could all learn and make a more well-informed decision.

If you have a golf shop that has both, I recommend spending five minutes with each to make your own conclusions as well-- I was lucky enough to walk into a shop that had all versions and the Skilz version so it was easy to see the pro/cons of each for me.

I do like the 47" version because it really elongates the swing. I think that makes it more important to get the tempo and sequencing right. That longer swing forces a bigger turn and helps increase flexibly. Having said all that I will be buying a 38" Hickory model too.

Still loving this aid. Part of my daily work and its paying off. Right now my key is the tempo with the whip.

I'm using it daily to help me start my downswing from the lower body working upward. I can really feel a difference when my swing is all arms.

Back