THP Bridgestone Indy invitational Pics & Recap

HAHA I know I am special Mike, it was awesome to see you again buddy. And I got your brothers THP name correct now lol....
Wrong already...my brothers name is robman7

Made it home safely will have more thoughts later but let me just say that was one of the greatest weekends ever. Had a absolute blast and met some awesome people and can't wait til I can make another event

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry I couldn't make that one happen in September. It's still killing me!

Got home a few minutes ago, tons of thoughts and laughs and memories had this weekend. Will probably be a post for each day, and the D&B awesomeness will have it's own.

Last edited:
I am going to start my recap differently. I'll get to the golf later.

What I wanted to talk about most was the social aspect of this event. A little about me, I am 41 (older than most of the others there) and had face to face conversations with maybe a handful of the 40 people there. I had never met any of the people I played golf with. I also am not the most adept at social situations. I know the basics but have never been the best at big social dinners. So I came to Indy not with worries about the golf, but worries about the rest of the weekend.

I was shocked how enjoyable the social gatherings were. I am relatively new to THP. Most of the people there have been on a lot longer and have clearly developed friendships over time. I was also probably one of the worst golfers there. Combine all that and there would be every reason to think that it would be a struggle to break in much. Well, THP'ers are a special bunch in this regard. You never felt like you could not just walk into a group and join in the conversation. It was amazing quite frankly. It's one thing to read things like that on a message board. It's another thing to experience it. Josh and Morgan should be brimming with pride over the environment they have cultivated by bringing together such quality people. What they have there is, in my experience, rare. From the golfers I played with to the people I got to spend time with eating and drinking, this was the highlight of my weekend.

As an aside I found that making yourself a sympathetic figure helps to break the ice. Things like locking your keys in the car the first 10 minutes you are there and suffering from double leg cramps during dinner work like a charm.

Now onto the golf. Like I said before, I figured I was one of the worst golfers there. I just had no idea how far the gap was between myself and the rest. I have never swung clubs with such talented golfers. It's just like the Titleist commercial says, "we all hit great shots, some just do it more than others". And not a single ego to be found. On the occasions that I hit good shots, there was congratulations all around that were sincere. Again, speaking to the quality of the people on THP. Just getting to play these rounds will improve my game. I picked up on an important key in the grip today by watching the rest of my group all day. I made the change around hole 16 and had the best stretch of holes of the entire weekend! From that standpoint, I am excited to put in the practice time to ingrain it because it clearly worked for me.

This probably will be my only invitational this year. I'm going to try to get in Chicago but the odds are against it. But I came away with meeting 39 other people that, if they called and asked if I wanted to tee it up with them, I'd do all I could to make it happen without a second thought.

So thank you, to everyone. This was truly one of the highlights of my golf life! I can't wait to do it again!

rbarthle17: thanks for sharing that man, that is exactly what THP is all about!

Cold stone and then use the empty cup :)

Now that is just wrong, on so many levels

What I wanted to talk about most was the social aspect of this event. A little about me, I am 41 (older than most of the others there) and had face to face conversations with maybe a handful of the 40 people there. I had never met any of the people I played golf with. I also am not the most adept at social situations. I know the basics but have never been the best at big social dinners. So I came to Indy not with worries about the golf, but worries about the rest of the weekend.

I was shocked how enjoyable the social gatherings were. I am relatively new to THP. Most of the people there have been on a lot longer and have clearly developed friendships over time. I was also probably one of the worst golfers there. Combine all that and there would be every reason to think that it would be a struggle to break in much. Well, THP'ers are a special bunch in this regard. You never felt like you could not just walk into a group and join in the conversation. It was amazing quite frankly. It's one thing to read things like that on a message board. It's another thing to experience it. Josh and Morgan should be brimming with pride over the environment they have cultivated by bringing together such quality people. What they have there is, in my experience, rare. From the golfers I played with to the people I got to spend time with eating and drinking, this was the highlight of my weekend.

As an aside I found that making yourself a sympathetic figure helps to break the ice. Things like locking your keys in the car the first 10 minutes you are there and suffering from double leg cramps during dinner work like a charm.

Now onto the golf. Like I said before, I figured I was one of the worst golfers there. I just had no idea how far the gap was between myself and the rest. I have never swung clubs with such talented golfers. It's just like the Titleist commercial says, "we all hit great shots, some just do it more than others". And not a single ego to be found. On the occasions that I hit good shots, there was congratulations all around that were sincere. Again, speaking to the quality of the people on THP. Just getting to play these rounds will improve my game. I picked up on an important key in the grip today by watching the rest of my group all day. I made the change around hole 16 and had the best stretch of holes of the entire weekend! From that standpoint, I am excited to put in the practice time to ingrain it because it clearly worked for me.

This probably will be my only invitational this year. I'm going to try to get in Chicago but the odds are against it. But I came away with meeting 39 other people that, if they called and asked if I wanted to tee it up with them, I'd do all I could to make it happen without a second thought.

So thank you, to everyone. This was truly one of the highlights of my golf life! I can't wait to do it again!

Rob I know coming off the range at purgatory and meeting you there I knew you were in for a great weekend. It was a pleasure to meet you and can't wait to see you again on the course.

Just landed. Miss all you clowns.

This right here folks is what it's all about. Well said Rob and I'm glad you had a great time.

Rob--you are an awesome guy and I enjoyed every minute of our round on Friday. I also think you are a better golfer than you give yourself credit for. You hit that SLDR Mini really well...and I still can't figure out how magical you are with that SmartSole C wedge.

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend, and I hope we cross paths at another one.

We didn't get a chance to play together, but I am glad you were at Golf Galaxy when I was hitting the mini. Your thoughts really helped me with my decision on my MC bag.
Hopefully we'll get a chance to pay together some day.

Great stuff guys, I am now officially drooling for the SeeMore event in 2 weeks. Nothing beats a THP event. Loved the recap rbarthle17.

I've got about an hour or so until I get home, I will provide a poorly written and expressed synopsis of my thoughts soon.
It is sure to be filled with misspelled words, punctuation errors, details( both accurate and inaccurate).

So check in soon, you won't want to miss it!

Just thought I should quote it again because it is so true and hard to understand until you get to an event. Great post!

Can't wait for this man. Should be interesting to hear what all you have to say. It was a pleasure to meet you and can't wait to see you again.
I've got about an hour or so until I get home, I will provide a poorly written and expressed synopsis of my thoughts soon.
It is sure to be filled with misspelled words, punctuation errors, details( both accurate and inaccurate).

So check in soon, you won't want to miss it!

Rob, really had a great time playing a round with you today. As its been said, that smart sole C of yours is delightful around the greens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Can't wait for this man. Should be interesting to hear what all you have to say. It was a pleasure to meet you and can't wait to see you again.

nice to meet you partner i look forward on seeing you in the morgan cup. keep bombing it out there with the driver and reading those short game books and get your putting on track and i think you will do well.

Somehow managed to put this in the Invitational thread and not this one. Oops!

Thanks everyone for an awesome weekend. Couldn't have had a better time than I did in Indianapolis.

Xthor bombs his 2-Deep. Take that driver out of the bag, buddy. I'd tee it up with you any time!

Parshooter is one of the nicest dudes I've ever met. Had a blast playing and joking around with you.

Adam Hartzell, don't forget to tag your clubs. Hahaha. Awesome playing with you buddy. Your easy-going attitude is contagious!

Mikedean, always a pleasure man. Happy to finally play a round with you. If you're ever on the eastern end of Ohio or close to pittsburgh, let me know! We have some good golf here too. Congrats on the big W!

Dhartmann, congrats! You were awesome to play with. Such a good time. Fun watching you guys work so seamlessly as a team.

Philly...actually, I'm not even gonna make the "Where's Phil" joke. Loved playing with you bro. Sorry my game wasn't ready. In hindsight, 36 on Friday was stupid of me. However, I still had a blast playing with you. Let's do it again some time!

Kris Kangle, you're the man. Seriously. You met me for about 30 seconds and were gracious enough to offer up your wedges. That was unbelievably awesome of you man, and I'll be sure to put them to good use!

Dave Winchell or Canadan, give me your golf swings.

Ricky, I expected you to make fun of me more. I left feeling like I missed out on the experience.

I'll add more as I think of things to say. There was a ton to take in this weekend!

The 10 hour drive home was worth every mile, I was grinning ear to ear.

I can't wait to get my recap thoughts together tomorrow morning.

But to say the least, it was an amazing event, you can't beat a THP event!

718C8C25-919E-4C8F-9448-ADE0E6630336_zpszbgydyu3.jpg

18B41D36-D23B-4A88-9BBB-F7DF4D894DF1_zpsnl1mwjfp.jpg

That was right before we bloodied him as he went into the "use the forearms to protect the goal" technique

Back