#THP Call Out: Miller Time vs cpljohnst

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
Date: July 16th or 17th - exact date and time to be decided soon

Venue:
Bear's Best Atlanta. Site of a THP Tour Van stop once upon a time. We've each played the course a couple of times, but it should be neutral ground.

The Course: A collection of holes that mimic some of Jack Nicklaus favorite holes from the 200+ courses he has designed. We'll likely play from the Nicklaus tees which play 6,513 yards and 71.9/140. There is one set of tees further back but that will for sure be too much for this old man. But with a high rating and slope the course will still have plenty of bite.

Background: Miller Time started this Call Out something like this:"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan... I mean Barry. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master.”
At least that is how it sounded in my head! :alien:

star-wars-2.jpg

We met as partners in the THP Atlanta Invitational, where we won Hall of Fame Tags together. Back then my index was lower than his. I was about an 8 index and MT was a 12 I think. We were opponents on different teams of #TheKing, where I won a 2nd HOF tag. Miller Time is now a 5.0 index, and my current index is 12.9 (though I'm trending lower). And he's a college golf coach now, so he is a master! Plus I'm as old as Obi Wan...almost. We need some of those Project X Light Saber shafts for this Call Out!

The Pops: We'll take a look at course handicap based on our indexes from the July 15th revision. Looks like I'll get in the neighborhood of 9 pops.

The Stakes: TBD - We haven't discussed these yet. What are you thinking Vader....I mean Miller Time?

WITB:

Miller Time:
:callaway:XR16 10.5* |:fujikra: Speeder Evolution 565
:callaway: XR 4W 17*
:callaway: Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood 20.5*
:callaway: XR 4H 22*
:bridgestone: J40 DPC 5-PW | Aerotech Steelfiber i95
:callaway: MD3 Milled Matte Black 50S/56W/60W
:scotty: Select Newport 2
:bridgestone: ​B330-RX

cpljohnst:
Driver: :callaway: XR 10.5* with :projectx: #handcraftedexperience 1 of 1 prototype in 5.5
3W:
:callaway:XR 15* with project X LZ in 5.5
5W:
:callaway:XR 19* with project X LZ in 5.5
4H: :callaway:
XR 22* Reg head w/pro project X LZ in 5.5
Irons 5 - AW:
:callaway:X Hot Pros with Project X 95 5.5
Wedge:
:callaway: 54* MD3 S Grind
Wedge: :callaway:58* PM Grind
Putter: :odyssey: Versa #1W
:callaway: Callaway Chrome Soft 2016

This one should be good. Ill wait and see what the pop situation will be before i make my pick but this should be a great follow

This will be my first trek up to Bear's Best. The THP Tour Van stop was before my time, but the Nicklaus tees should be a good challenge. I've always heard good things about this course and I'm looking forward to seeing my first ever THP event partner again and teeing it up. He carried me around Trophy Club that day and being around Barry definitely made me want to stick around THP and I'm still here almost 3 years later. My golf game has transformed over that time and I've learned a lot since then, but good lord... I'm giving almost 9 pops?!?!?!

Barry is a solid all-around golfer and this will be a fun and tough challenge to the lowest handicap of my life. Looking forward to it, my friend.

As far as wagers go, how about a post round beer and a small line in your signature until the end of the year stating, "Miller Time beat me in a #THPCallout"? (you can go ahead and copy that in preparation for my upcoming victory)

Here's the scorecard:

2468297_orig.gif

This is going to be a really good matchup here! You guys are bold playing them Nicklaus tees - I'm guessing that's a long 6500 yds.

This is a really tough decision, because MT is playing better golf than ever, and picking against Barry's fairway-licious game is always a dicey proposition. But I think on a track with this much trouble and length - and with 3 par 4's north of 400 yards - I'm going to have to take MT's lower handicap and greater length. Should be a great match though, and I hope you both have a blast!

This will be another good one. Two really great guys and solid players both. But I'm going with "experience" and the master in this one. Picking CPL to show he still knows a thing or two that he hasn't shared with MillerTime

Another good matchup that will be fun to follow. I'm taking miller time in this one

Do y'all need an official observer for the round? aka, I want to play Bear's Best.

2cnxrvp.jpg

Got some work in on the sim last night and I'm playing today. Hope you're sitting on the couch with all those pops, Barry!

Man this is a tough one. 9 pops is quite a bit to handle. I think MillerTime has the game, but also know Barry can play some good golf if he keeps his drives in the fairway.

Have to go with Barry on this one in a close match.

Two great guys and what should be a tough match. I have played a round with each in the past. I know Josh is all about getting rather than giving pops, so I have to go with the wily veteran Barry in this one to use the pops to his advantage and take the match 3 & 2.

Josh is going to have a heart attack giving that many pops!

This will be a fun match. Not sure who to take on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 pops!? Anyone gives you 9 pops that's crazy! Barry for the win even though we all know Millertime is a legit baller.

Do y'all need an official observer for the round? aka, I want to play Bear's Best.
quoting for a response. I could make sure all pops are properly applied while also playing Bear's Best. It is a fun course.

Barry w 9 pops?
Gotta go w the guy who beat me - cpljohnst.
Have fun, gents!

quoting for a response. I could make sure all pops are properly applied while also playing Bear's Best. It is a fun course.
Hey wluker,

We've got a foursome filled out right now. Miller Time is bringing one friend, and WillWhite is likely to be joining us depending on the day. If he can't Flog has asked about the spot in a PM. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Ok. FYI, I just played Bear's Best yesterday and don't be fooled by the blazing speed of the practice green. The rest aren't nearly that fast

War Eagle from my iPhone

Playing Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Tee game is great right now, but my short game really struggled this weekend. Gotta clean that up if I'm going to giving up pops to someone with a solid game like cpljohnst.

Barry, how does Saturday morning work for you? Looking like afternoon showers, so maybe we can get it in before the rain comes through.

Playing Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this week. Tee game is great right now, but my short game really struggled this weekend. Gotta clean that up if I'm going to giving up pops to someone with a solid game like cpljohnst.

Barry, how does Saturday morning work for you? Looking like afternoon showers, so maybe we can get it in before the rain comes through.
Saturday morning is good for me anytime. Might want to check with the course though. WillWhite said something about the club having an event Saturday morning.

The battle begins at 9:40AM on Saturday. Get those picks in.

Ok. FYI, I just played Bear's Best yesterday and don't be fooled by the blazing speed of the practice green. The rest aren't nearly that fast

War Eagle from my iPhone
Can you make 9:40am Saturday? Flog and WillWhite have had conflicts and neither can make it now.

Not sure now. I was just informed at dinner tonight that we are going to a little kid's birthday party. But my wife also said that I didn't have to go to that. Not really sure if I'm free to play golf. I'll check and let you know.

War Eagle from my iPhone

Ok, I'm in. I just asked my wife and she said it was fine.

War Eagle from my iPad

Two fellow Georgians and two of my favorite THPers doing battle at Bear's Best. This one is tough for me to choose, but choose I must. I think that Coach Miller Time is going squeeze out a close match.

Good memories from that course as it was my first official THP event. Wish I was going to be there to see the battle in person. Y'all play well and have fun. Oh and hydrate!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

9 pops is a lot..Barry uses them to his advantage and takes a close one!

Back