THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Todays 47/40 on a par 70 course drops my index to a new personal record.

Tomorrows update…16.8!

Started the season as a 7.0. Struggled pretty bad, got soft capped (I was essentially already there) and got up to an 8.2. After my rounds this weekend (one being a combined nines score) I'm finally back to a 7.0. Next step, keeping it down and not going back up. Soft cap is finally gone and I'm feeling good about my game. Well I feel good at my home course. I'm still working on not imploding on two or three holes when I'm away but it's all trending in the right direction!

Sitting at a 19. Last 4 rounds have been 92,91,92,91 so I feel like good things are coming.

I’m reach a level I never thought possible… another new all time low after tonight’s update.
1EF135CF-AAAC-4C39-9959-EEE1FBAB605E.png

My unofficial has dipped to 16.5. I think that's about as low as it's going to go unless I start shooting in the 80s. That course differential....

March 27th: 15.8
June 19th (today’s update): 11.9!!

Ever since that lousy round at Francisco Grande GC and subsequent range session where something finally clicked, my cap has dropped by nearly four strokes!! 😁

Last update has me at 9.5, which is approaching my all time low of 9.3. I don't feel like I'm playing all that well, but the new sticks have significantly helped to limit the damage when I have a really bad day, I've picked up about a club across the bag in distance (and more like 15-20 yards on driver) due to a much better fit, and my putting has been better than in previous years which allows me to go lower than previously on comparable ball striking days. If I can keep this same level of play up, but groove the consistency a little better and stop sneaking inside on my takeaway, I think I can get down into the 8's. Proof will be in the pudding though, as they say!

I keep bouncing around between an index of 3.3 and 4.8 on GHIN this year. That puts me at +1 or +2 course handicap from the Senior tees.

Sitting at 5.9 right now and holding steady.

Started the season as a 7.0. Struggled pretty bad, got soft capped (I was essentially already there) and got up to an 8.2. After my rounds this weekend (one being a combined nines score) I'm finally back to a 7.0. Next step, keeping it down and not going back up. Soft cap is finally gone and I'm feeling good about my game. Well I feel good at my home course. I'm still working on not imploding on two or three holes when I'm away but it's all trending in the right direction!
Under a 7 and after my 79 and combined score of 76 this weekend, I’m at a 6.5. I just have to get my approaches consistent and it’s going to keep dropping!

Under a 7 and after my 79 and combined score of 76 this weekend, I’m at a 6.5. I just have to get my approaches consistent and it’s going to keep dropping!

Last 2 rounds of 77 and 81 have dropped me to a 10.0

Last update has me at 9.5, which is approaching my all time low of 9.3. I don't feel like I'm playing all that well, but the new sticks have significantly helped to limit the damage when I have a really bad day, I've picked up about a club across the bag in distance (and more like 15-20 yards on driver) due to a much better fit, and my putting has been better than in previous years which allows me to go lower than previously on comparable ball striking days. If I can keep this same level of play up, but groove the consistency a little better and stop sneaking inside on my takeaway, I think I can get down into the 8's. Proof will be in the pudding though, as they say!

Didn't make any progress today 🤣🫣

I'm playing Thursday and probably won't make any progress either. There's one advantage to playing a 48" putter - they're bloody hard to throw.

Just looked at my unofficial handicap through my app. How the heck does it get cut in half? More importantly why didn't my last round push it up a little? Ooof.

Need to stop posting the 9 hole exec course as it drops me lower than what I think it should be!

Last edited:
Current index is 12.2. I have no problem with that.

• Haha
Reactions: J4U
Mine just bounces between 8.8 and 9.2
My average score is 82 (81.5)
If I shoot an 87 or 88, it gets tossed or negated by a 78 or better within a couple of weeks.

I have crept up to a 9.1. Working to fix the takeaway and have had some higher scores.

In late April, a 5 round golf trip to some hard and unfamiliar courses had some pretty bad scores replacing some good ones (including a PB that fell off), and I came close to being soft capped. A solid 1.5 months of play since then at the home course has me back to a spot where I am out of the threat of a soft cap. It’s a similar pattern I have seen the last few years - higher cap in April/May after traveling and trend lower June-Sept as I pile on the rounds at the home course.

I have crept up to a 9.1. Working to fix the takeaway and have had some higher scores.

Right there with you on the takeaway buddy... The struggle is real

Back