THP Outing Suggestions

and then the ranger saying slide down to the left boys...again! :act-up:

Ok everybody, here is what we know right now and here is what we are working with and on.

Time Frame & Date
We are looking at October as the month and right now either the weekend of the 15th or the weekend of the 22nd.

Format
It would be a similar format to what we did this last time.
Friday Night - Arrival and dinner and drinks for those that want to come.
Saturday AM - Wedge and Putter Demo Day
Saturday Afternoon - Round of golf "freestyle". Paired up in foursomes and play a round.
Saturday PM - Dinner with everybody and Drinks (except thanks)
Sunday AM - Driver, Hybrid, FW Woods, Irons Demo Day
Sunday Afternoon - Organized golf in some sort of tourney style. Team event...TBD
Sunday PM - Dinner and drinks for those that want to be a part of it.

Check In & Check Out
Each place we have spoken with have told us that they will agree to let people check in 2 days early and check out 2 days later for same discounted rates if bringing a family or just want to stay in FL for more than a weekend.

We are working with 5 resorts in 4 different cities. Orlando, Naples, West Palm Beach, and Sarasota. The goal is to find the best location for golf and other festivities and offer a place where people want to come and enjoy themselves on a vacation with fellow THP'ers. The resorts get pricey on stay and play packages and we are working on getting those costs down for everybody. We should have most of those details ironed out in the next 2 weeks.

What we need
What we need from each person that is thinking about coming are some questions answered.

1. Do you prefer the nicer resort with stay and play to keep everything together and organized or do you prefer the cheap hotel and get a rental car to drive to different courses in the area (like the last one).

2. What is better for you? Beach, Spa, or kid friendly theme parks?

Let us know your thoughts and we will have more details over the next week with what the plans are. Thank you.

Nicer resort, beach and easy in/out airport. I don't do rental cars - I'm a horrible driver.

Unfortunately, I would probably be coming alone on this one....
I have in-laws that live in Daytona Beach, so I get an extra option of staying there...

I would think that Orlando might be the best bet..Bigger city so cheaper flights in/out....

As for the Stay and Plays.....Could always stay at the cheaper places and rent the 15 passenger vans for the weekend..We have done that on outings in the past...

Just my 2 cents.....

Unfortunately, I would probably be coming alone on this one....
I have in-laws that live in Daytona Beach, so I get an extra option of staying there...

I would think that Orlando might be the best bet..Bigger city so cheaper flights in/out....

As for the Stay and Plays.....Could always stay at the cheaper places and rent the 15 passenger vans for the weekend..We have done that on outings in the past...

Just my 2 cents.....

Bama, the one issue with your idea is that most of the stay and play resorts we are looking at, are offering unique packages that stipulate each player be staying at their place to get the deal on golf. This is where we are getting stuck.

Bama, the one issue with your idea is that most of the stay and play resorts we are looking at, are offering unique packages that stipulate each player be staying at their place to get the deal on golf. This is where we are getting stuck.

Josh - What is included and what's the price range? I know you only have ballpark at this point. Perhaps knowing that would help people in determining if it's too high.

Josh - What is included and what's the price range? I know you only have ballpark at this point. Perhaps knowing that would help people in determining if it's too high.

That is a great question Diane, and I wish I could answer it. We really do not know. We have ranges all over the place. They are ranging from $99 to $299 a night. Some are giving free golf, some discounted golf, and some do not include it.

It depends on the place, what is included, how many are coming, etc...
We hope to have more info by the end of this week.

I understand.....I know you guys are running the spreadsheets of "Stay and Plays" versus "Best Western/Rentals/driveup" I think the fair comparison would be to preliminarily chose a course or 2, and then apply the stay and play price range versus the best western price range.... then you could give us the ranges (no matter how wide they are) and we could see the delta in the overlap....

This one was more like my "10¢" woth...lol

I would be interested in coming down. I am not sure if Jenn would want to go or not(her birthday is Oct 23 so I might be able to swing something since she loves golf). Price is definately a thing for me since I am flying down from albany. Easy in easy out is usually a good way to go. Are you thinking of doing any of the Disney courses?

I would be interested in coming down. I am not sure if Jenn would want to go or not(her birthday is Oct 23 so I might be able to swing something since she loves golf). Price is definately a thing for me since I am flying down from albany. Easy in easy out is usually a good way to go. Are you thinking of doing any of the Disney courses?

We are working with multiple resorts and they may be one of them.

I am just excited about going no matter where it is at. This should be huge!

Obviously I form a biased opinion here since my preference would be Orlando but in that case what would worry me is if the package were to include golf what would it be for a local?

My $.02... like Bama said above, what would the price be for just golf. Reason being is that I'm sure there will be many of us that will stay in the same hotel just like last (or within close vicinity). So if you were to leave it up to us to secure lodging then I'm sure one person posts an awesome rate then most will follow. Yes there is the whole rental car and travel issue but there are split costs as well that would probably happen anyway. I hope there will be 2 options available for the ones that want to stay and play and one for just golf only. Those places you chose definitely have airport access so there should be no issue there.

Obviously I form a biased opinion here since my preference would be Orlando but in that case what would worry me is if the package were to include golf what would it be for a local?

My $.02... like Bama said above, what would the price be for just golf. Reason being is that I'm sure there will be many of us that will stay in the same hotel just like last (or within close vicinity). So if you were to leave it up to us to secure lodging then I'm sure one person posts an awesome rate then most will follow. Yes there is the whole rental car and travel issue but there are split costs as well that would probably happen anyway. I hope there will be 2 options available for the ones that want to stay and play and one for just golf only. Those places you chose definitely have airport access so there should be no issue there.

Spank,
There are some issues with doing it that way. A number of these resorts are stay and play only. Meaning that the course is not open to the public unless they are staying at the resort. That is the reason for the questions, if people would rather just do cheap hotel and travel to golf, than that can be done, however the golf will most likely not be at a resort course due to quite a few restrictions we must go through.

Spank,
There are some issues with doing it that way. A number of these resorts are stay and play only. Meaning that the course is not open to the public unless they are staying at the resort. That is the reason for the questions, if people would rather just do cheap hotel and travel to golf, than that can be done, however the golf will most likely not be at a resort course due to quite a few restrictions we must go through.

I figured as much when it comes to restrictions. Do those prices include any type of meal or just food & lodging? I know you want to cater to the masses so I think the pertinent question to ask is whether or not people are willing to sacrifice resort golf for $'s. Resort golf, like you said, comes with restrictions and tend to be higher in price. I calculated the amount that I spent on the previous outing (golf and lodging only) and it came out to $110 a day ($65 with taxes for hotel per day and avg $45 per day on the golf). Those were not at resorts and the accommodations were great at the BW (which was walking distance from the Holiday Inn Express) and the courses were superb. Yes, we had to drive places which to me were not a hassle and having it in a larger city will most likely increase the distance between activities and lodging. To me it's about the people and the activities. Those places you selected will have enough choices in courses that we shouldn't have to resort to a goat track and I'm sure decent lodging will be found as well. But boy that $99 stay and play is a great deal if you can secure that. There will be some options that will probably be out of my price range. For that I vote Pro-choice.

Orlando, Naples, West Palm Beach, and Sarasota. The goal is to find the best location for golf and other festivities and offer a place where people want to come and enjoy themselves on a vacation with fellow THP'ers. The resorts get pricey on stay and play packages and we are working on getting those costs down for everybody. We should have most of those details ironed out in the next 2 weeks.

What we need
What we need from each person that is thinking about coming are some questions answered.

1. Do you prefer the nicer resort with stay and play to keep everything together and organized or do you prefer the cheap hotel and get a rental car to drive to different courses in the area (like the last one).

2. What is better for you? Beach, Spa, or kid friendly theme parks?

Let us know your thoughts and we will have more details over the next week with what the plans are. Thank you.

1. Since my plan will probably be to drive over each day, this part doesn't really matter to me. I'd prefer to keep the greens fees reasonable though, considering the time of year (close to the holidays).

2. Again, doesn't matter to me. Heather won't be coming, so I'll just be golfing.

For me, I'm hoping for either Orlando or West Palm. Easy drive so I can just stay at home. With Heather taking a cruise this summer with her best friend and my annual 7-10 day trip to Wisconsin over Christmas, keeping the cost down would definitely be a bonus.

1. Since my plan will probably be to drive over each day, this part doesn't really matter to me. I'd prefer to keep the greens fees reasonable though, considering the time of year (close to the holidays).

2. Again, doesn't matter to me. Heather won't be coming, so I'll just be golfing.

For me, I'm hoping for either Orlando or West Palm. Easy drive so I can just stay at home. With Heather taking a cruise this summer with her best friend and my annual 7-10 day trip to Wisconsin over Christmas, keeping the cost down would definitely be a bonus.

Osahar,
So for you, it must not be a stay and play place correct?

i will do everything i can to make the trip but cost is definitely a factor for me. i didn't mind the hotel route at all and i would probably drive down anyway. i don't envy you for having to organize all this, that's for sure. i say do what the massess want, it will either work for me or it will not.

Osahar,
So for you, it must not be a stay and play place correct?

For a Stay'n'Play it would all come down to cost. At $99/night, that I could work into the budget. Much north of that, it wouldn't be likely if that was the only option.

why not just do something similar to the first outing? why not just play and demo at some courses near you guys? it was great fun, the accomodation was easy to get to. i would easily play sarasota national again. the staff was great, the course was great, the range was great.

why not just do something similar to the first outing? why not just play and demo at some courses near you guys? it was great fun, the accomodation was easy to get to. i would easily play sarasota national again. the staff was great, the course was great, the range was great.

That is still a thought TC, if costs got too high. We are still talking to two courses in Sarasota that are gorgeous that could work with us. At the same time, people could stay at a nice resort in Sarasota if they wanted and we are close to the beach.

I would vote for the find your own lodging at the best rate and travel to the golf courses, dinners, etc. The stay and play would be nice, however a married couple would have to pay double for the stay & play? I'm not sure how many husband/wife teams are plannning on coming. Most would want the best bang for the buck.

I would vote for the find your own lodging at the best rate and travel to the golf courses, dinners, etc. The stay and play would be nice, however a married couple would have to pay double for the stay & play? I'm not sure how many husband/wife teams are plannning on coming. Most would want the best bang for the buck.

Stay and play resorts for outings are based on the room. Nobody would have to pay double at all. People could still split rooms, etc...

That is still a thought TC, if costs got too high. We are still talking to two courses in Sarasota that are gorgeous that could work with us. At the same time, people could stay at a nice resort in Sarasota if they wanted and we are close to the beach.

i think it's the smartest option for everyone involved. it's easy for us to help you guys get all that wonderful equipment to the range. if some want to do the resort/family thing they can, if others want to have the 2010 fall best western open then they can. plus, let's be honest, i would assume that you have some good relationships already established around that area.

and i can see ellie again!

i think it's the smartest option for everyone involved. it's easy for us to help you guys get all that wonderful equipment to the range. if some want to do the resort/family thing they can, if others want to have the 2010 fall best western open then they can. plus, let's be honest, i would assume that you have some good relationships already established around that area.

and i can see ellie again!

Ellie goes where we go regardless of where this is. That is a rule!

Back