THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

To explain for everyone, Tot Hill has several holes that are close together. At one point, I hit what I thought was a decent shot. Except I hit it to the 10th green instead of the 12th. I was only about 20 yards right...

My wife and I finished cleaning out the basement for the move so she told me to go play if I wanted to. I shot an 84 and played really well. I need to get better from 100 yards and in. I feel like that is my weak area at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 - 44 = 98 in my tournament yesterday. Not much to be proud of. I was driving the ball really well. I hit 7 or 14 fairways, but of the 7 that I missed, only 3 were disappointing swings. I hit drives of 286, 324 and 325 yards (and a 278 yard drive after hitting one OB)... but I wasted a lot of my good drives with seriously poor wedge play.

I had some trouble on the range in the morning and started sh*nking my wedges every third swing (give or take). I tried putting the ball back in my stance as a temporary fix, but it still crept up on me. Having no confidence when standing over an approach from 80 yards or less is not a fun feeling when it's typically something I feel is almost automatically inside 15 feet.

Putting was okay based on how I felt the ball was rolling and hitting on my intended line, but I ran a lot of putts (10 by my count) over the edge which resulted in 37 total putts for the day. I only made 3 putts longer than 5 feet all day.

I intend to work on primarily wedges over the next 2 weeks leading up to my next tournament. I've got to get over whatever is going on with those short clubs in my hands.

BirdieBall green has already been ordered. Here's hoping some practice helps cure my woes.

How did the prep go this weekend for those were able to get out.

To explain for everyone, Tot Hill has several holes that are close together. At one point, I hit what I thought was a decent shot. Except I hit it to the 10th green instead of the 12th. I was only about 20 yards right...

You still shot a better score than I did on that hole!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

somethings to tidy up on the course but from holes 4-18 I was happy with where things are headed. Iron play was descent. Tee game was way better than were it was last time out

Got some things to do to get scoring where I want it, but overall am going in the right direction. Biggest thing for me this past week was I went to the range twice, putting green once, and played 27 on Saturday - and physically got through it without any major issues. Going to be smarter at this point and let my body recover when I feel it needs it and not push it...it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Talking to EMART and MizunoFan Saturday I'm going to try to get down to RNK in April and June. Just a heads up to anyone that wants to join me.

Talking to EMART and MizunoFan Saturday I'm going to try to get down to RNK in April and June. Just a heads up to anyone that wants to join me.

Just let me know the dates!

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Just let me know the dates!

I'm open so if you've dates that work I can roll like that.

Edit April 23 looks good

I'm open so if you've dates that work I can roll like that.

Edit April 23 looks good

As soon as I know when my wife's surgery will be ( sometime this week to find out when) I'll be able to confirm. Thanks!

I am down for that let me know what you are thinking for dates

I had some trouble on the range in the morning and started sh*nking my wedges every third swing (give or take). I tried putting the ball back in my stance as a temporary fix, but it still crept up on me. Having no confidence when standing over an approach from 80 yards or less is not a fun feeling when it's typically something I feel is almost automatically inside 15 feet.
I'll be honest ... I don't full swing wedges, with the exception of my PW (44*) and GW (48*). My 52 and 56 are for half swing pitches/chips and sand play respectively. And really, from 85 yards and in, if you took away my 52, I'd rely on my 48 and not miss a beat.

Now we'll see what my instructor has to say about that come tomorrow but ... it's what I've been doing for the better part of a few months and it's seemed to work.

I'll be honest ... I don't full swing wedges, with the exception of my PW (44*) and GW (48*). My 52 and 56 are for half swing pitches/chips and sand play respectively. And really, from 85 yards and in, if you took away my 52, I'd rely on my 48 and not miss a beat.
I full swing up to my 50 and even that only in certain situations it has really helped my game doing it this way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Now we'll see what my instructor has to say about that come tomorrow but ... it's what I've been doing for the better part of a few months and it's seemed to work.

I should probably practice those 80 yard shots with my pitching wedge or approach wedge. I just find it easier (when I'm not going through issues like this) to take a full swing from 90 yards with my gap wedge because then I know how it'll react on the green. Same with 70 yard shots... I take a full swing with my sand wedge and know it'll fly to the hole and stop.

It makes sense to take a 3/4 swing with a pitching wedge than to take a full swing with a gap wedge, though. It would offer more control, for sure!

I'm in.

Yesterday was a good time, it was fun talking to MizunoFan and EMART about this event. Getting a sense of what they were working on, looking forward to, and some of their ideas for pairing. One of the cool parts was both of these guys were excited to meet the THP members they hadn't met before from both sides. And just having a good time with the entire process.

I mentioned this back in January, so I thought I would bring it back up. Outside of the golf aspect. I hope people are using this to effect more than just the game. People that use events like this as a catalyst for something bigger in their life will grow even more than just on THP.

Also, for those with wives, family or significant others. What are you doing to get them involved? There is a bit of a demand on your time for prep and all that is involved. Hopefully your not doing this alone. Cause when it's all said and done they are the ones that are sacrificing time with you. Make sure they know how much you appreciate it.

This is a great and thoughtful point. Luckily my Wife is excited for me and she is happy that I got this opportunity. More trips to the range is more time I get to spend with my Son hitting golf balls. She actually shooed me out of the kitchen the other day to go out in the yard to hit chip shots while she prepared dinner. That's a good woman. I'm lucky.

You should take away your 52 then. That SGW is ridiculously versatile.

I actually may have the 23rd open. I'll have to start saving some money but I might be able to do that.

Back