THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

On a cold and dreary day, I shot a frustrating 48. A year ago I would have been thrilled to break 50, but now I'm annoyed. I guess that's progress ... but I really need to get a lesson and figure out why I can hit a straight shot and it either goes right or left of my intended target. Am I misaligned? Am I pulling and/or pushing my shots? I don't know ... and I need to know soon. Plus the driver was giving me fits. A few days ago it was 7/14 FIR and today it was 3/7 which is not what I want/need. I managed to dance my way away from trouble today, taking nothing worse than a double, but I need to keep myself in the short grass if I'm going to even attempt to do any damage to Team DMV in July.

Sounds like you are making progress from last year. At this rate you will hard to handle by July!

Difficult conditions but played much better today. Short game showed definite improvement but still needs work!

Not much to report on my end, we had the granddaughter all weekend so she kept me busy. Of course I didn't mind, after the way I played last week, I needed a little break.

All I did was putt some this weekend and chip some in the front yard. I'm playing in an after-work 9 hole summer series starting tomorrow afternoon, so that should get me back in the tournament grove. Looking forward to as much golf as I can play this week.

Looks like weather will be better this weekend. Plan to get a round in.

Man I need to shake this bug. Thought it was getting better, then hit me hard again yesterday. I'm sick of being sick.

Hopefulky Ill be well enough to capitalize on some of the good weather later this week. Only got in one short 20 minute chipping session this week, but it went pretty well.

Watching Jason Day today at Bay Hill shows exactly how vital the short game can be. He was hitting his tee shots and irons all over the place, but the wedge and putter pulled out the win. Something to be learned from that.

As our Captain keeps saying OWN125. Great advice! Now to do it!

Managed to hit the range on Fri, before the sun disappeared. I found a flatter driver swing; intended to help attack angle and recover some missing distance. I found out... that swing doesn't work at all. So I now have something else to add to the what not to do pile. I also think I'm over-swinging my irons. I hit some good shots too, but over all it was not a positive session.

I think this leaking distance is getting into my head. 2 years ago I was hitting my driver 260 to 270 sometimes farther (measured by gps). Now it's 220 to 240...and I don't know why. I'm in the same physical shape. Trying to figure it out is killing the rest of my swing. I've lost my little draw, and anything resembling consistency.

I do have one lesson left on a pkg. I'm leaning toward using it sooner rather than closer to July so I can try to groove something by then.

Managed to hit the range on Fri, before the sun disappeared. I found a flatter driver swing; intended to help attack angle and recover some missing distance. I found out... that swing doesn't work at all. So I now have something else to add to the what not to do pile. I also think I'm over-swinging my irons. I hit some good shots too, but over all it was not a positive session.

I think this leaking distance is getting into my head. 2 years ago I was hitting my driver 260 to 270 sometimes farther (measured by gps). Now it's 220 to 240...and I don't know why. I'm in the same physical shape. Trying to figure it out is killing the rest of my swing. I've lost my little draw, and anything resembling consistency.

I do have one lesson left on a pkg. I'm leaning toward using it sooner rather than closer to July so I can try to groove something by then.
Not always about the distance either though. Concentrate on the ball being in play off the tee. I have lost a lot of distance over the last few years but have started being in play a bit more than before as well. That is a trade off I will take any day of the week. Now that wild and short I wouldn't want haha.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Capt Ron is a smart dude. Keeping the ball in front of you helps a great deal with playing better golf. And when playing on a two man team it's a big advantage in some formats.

Not always about the distance either though. Concentrate on the ball being in play off the tee. I have lost a lot of distance over the last few years but have started being in play a bit more than before as well. That is a trade off I will take any day of the week. Now that wild and short I wouldn't want haha.

jeebus man and you're still that long?

Capt Ron is a smart dude. Keeping the ball in front of you helps a great deal with playing better golf. And when playing on a two man team it's a big advantage in some formats.

Agree 1000%

I'll take shorter drives if I go 11/14 in the FWY - no lost balls or punch outs means I'm still in the hole.

jeebus man and you're still that long?

Agree 1000%

I'll take shorter drives if I go 11/14 in the FWY - no lost balls or punch outs means I'm still in the hole.
In not that long just get lucky now and then

Alright, emart, I'll trust you... Capt. Ron could be trying to sabotage me:alien:.

I get all that, and believe me I'd rather have 230 in the fairway than 260 in the adjoining fairway (or road in some cases). And I've been better lately. It's just a different way of thinking, especially without the draw. I've just got to get it out of my head.

Agree 1000%

Yep. As much as I would like to be in the 260+ carry group I am comfortable with my 240ish carry and know where it's going or at Keats can't wait to get back to the form that has me knowing where it's going. If my miss is in the first cut of rough I know I have a chance to get to or close to the green. Punchouts and recovery shots ge annoying after awhile.

Alright, emart, I'll trust you... Capt. Ron could be trying to sabotage me:alien:.

I get all that, and believe me I'd rather have 230 in the fairway than 260 in the adjoining fairway (or road in some cases). And I've been better lately. It's just a different way of thinking, especially without the draw. I've just got to get it out of my head.

I hear ya. I was a distance chaser for years but have been working on keeping ball in front of me and playing to numbers where needed.

Trust me, I'm in a very similar situation as you. I'm probably 40 to 50 yards shorter than I was 5 or 6 years ago (injuries and age) but for the most part I'm in play now days. This is just another reason to preach #own125, my approach shots are coming from further back, so I miss more greens than ever (I now tee it forward when I have the chance) but when playing a length a bit long for me, which is anyting over 6200 now, it puts a preminnum on my hybrids and FW's and ultimately wedge game.

Make sure it's sharp!!

I'm going the other way. I've been gaining distance (although gaining distance off of a 215 yard average isn't anything to brag about), but overall accuracy is going away.

I want, so badly, to eliminate my penalty strokes each round... but I find that if I take a less-than-full swing at the ball, I lose it out to the right.

During my tournament round last Saturday, I hit drives of 286, 324 and 325 yards and I made quad, par and bogey. The distance is doing me no good if it's putting me in situations where I'm going to attempt something stupid. I'm better off at 240 from the tee and hitting a layup on a par 5 than trying to go for it after a good drive and ruining my round with a poor swing or something.

I've got to figure out how to just keep the ball in the short grass and out of the hazards. That'll grow my game quicker than anything else I can do.

I'm going the other way. I've been gaining distance (although gaining distance off of a 215 yard average isn't anything to brag about), but overall accuracy is going away.

I want, so badly, to eliminate my penalty strokes each round... but I find that if I take a less-than-full swing at the ball, I lose it out to the right.

During my tournament round last Saturday, I hit drives of 286, 324 and 325 yards and I made quad, par and bogey. The distance is doing me no good if it's putting me in situations where I'm going to attempt something stupid. I'm better off at 240 from the tee and hitting a layup on a par 5 than trying to go for it after a good drive and ruining my round with a poor swing or something.

I've got to figure out how to just keep the ball in the short grass and out of the hazards. That'll grow my game quicker than anything else I can do.
Have you thought about going to a 3 wood off the tee instead of taking a shorter swing. With those distances, you'd still be getting a 3 wood out there past most peoples driver, and probably in play.

Have you thought about going to a 3 wood off the tee instead of taking a shorter swing. With those distances, you'd still be getting a 3 wood out there past most peoples driver, and probably in play.

I haven't been able to hit my 3 wood in a long time. It's almost always a top or a head pull.

Those distances were just 3 drives that I got the clubhead on the ball in the proper position. My average drive is only about 240 (but I'm capable of hitting it anywhere from 200 yards to 300 yards). The bigger problem is that I'm 240 yards from the tee in the woods having to punch out all too often. I'd settle for 240 with a shot over 270 but behind a tree or something.

Working on my 3 wood is a priority for me. I'd like to have that safety club in the bag, but... right now, if I'm not hitting my driver, it's probably a 4 iron where I'll end up hitting it about 200 yards and leaving a long iron into the green.

At Tot Hill Farm, I ended up just choking down on my driver, which netted a few good swings.
Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Also remember it's spring training. We are all shaking off the rust a little. Your next session might show that distance come right back again.

Every time I think of this event I get more excited about the upcoming event. Lots of work to do to make sure the team DMV succeeds!!

Also remember it's spring training. We are all shaking off the rust a little. Your next session might show that distance come right back again.

I was talking about how bad my last couple of rounds were to the head pro at my home course and he told me, it's just preseason until after the Masters. Until then, it doesn't count, so I'm going with that.

THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I'm signing up for a few VSGA and GC Am Tour tourneys to tune up for RR. I'm playing 6 holes a day and my game is coming along. Lowest 6 hile score so far is -2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm signing up for a few VSGA and GC Am Tour tourneys to tune up for RR. I'm playing 6 holes a day and my game is coming along. Lowest 6 hile score so far is -2.

When I was down at RNK two weeks ago,I saw their list of tournaments on the bulletin board. Pretty impressive list and some nice clubs. That should be good preparation for the event, getting out to different tracks to see how the game travels.

When I was down at RNK two weeks ago,I saw their list of tournaments on the bulletin board. Pretty impressive list and some nice clubs. That should be good preparation for the event, getting out to different tracks to see how the game travels.

That's what I'm looking for. How my game travels under pressure. I usually do pretty well but made a lot of changes this winter.

Will be fun.

Back