THP Regional Rivalry - NY/NJ vs New England - Sponsored By True Temper

The more I look at this hole I'm leaning towards a 3 shot. Guessing playing off the blues and using my drive I'm still looking at something around 200 for 2nd shot with danger everywhere. I'd lay up to bout 105 for a full 50* into the green. Like our captain said, no use getting in a hole right outta the gate.

If you go down the left side, closer to the lone tree, then you shorten the hole up. When I played there I went in that direction, and even with an average drive I went for it in 2 and I think I was pin high in the right rough. If you guys play the blues, it's a 484 yard par 5, I bet more people go for it in 2 than what is being posted on here.
What is fun about this being an opening hole Par 5 is that you're right, it's very score able if played right. It looks like even if you go at the tree and it gets a little in the way of a direct shot at the green it doesn't interfere with a good layup number based on angles. I'm sure it's a hole where guys will certainly take some chances in the Scramble format with a good drive option.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I'm going for it in ONE

Signed,

#Internetgolfer #IwanttheMVP

If you go down the left side, closer to the lone tree, then you shorten the hole up. When I played there I went in that direction, and even with an average drive I went for it in 2 and I think I was pin high in the right rough. If you guys play the blues, it's a 484 yard par 5, I bet more people go for it in 2 than what is being posted on here.

Yeah once most see the hole I bet more will be going at it in 2. I have actually been to the left of the tree and have been pin high in the rough after my second shot. The green on 1 is pretty big and sort of has 2 levels. That's the defense on this hole and much of the rest of the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going for it in ONE

Signed,

I like it

I'm going for it in ONE

Signed,

Maybe if we played when the water was frozen ?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

It's difficult to gauge without knowing the length and layout of the hole but seems not as intimidating as that picture makes it seem.

I think it would depend on the match and the result of the drive. If I hit a meh fade that ends up only 210-230 on the right hand side, clearly becomes a three shot hole. If I hit a decent drive and maybe it is pulled just a touch to the left side of the fairway, who knows. If the wind is helping, it could be gettable in two. Situation dependent I would say.

Screenshot of the first hole from Google Earth:

25980041770_3394759c18_b.jpg

There is lots of room down the right side of the hole, and that's going to be the main way to play the hole. But even if you go up the right side, there's tons of room short and right of the green to play your second shot pretty close to the green instead of being forced to lay up to 100 yards or so. If you go to the left of the lone tree (and the rough that is around that tree isn't all that penal), you'll probably have 190-210 yards to the center of the green from that fairway section. For me, no matter which side of the tree I'm on, I'm trying to get my second shot as close to the green as possible, especially knowing that there's a ton of room to bail out right of the green since the water is left of the green.

Screenshot of the first hole from Google Earth:

25980041770_3394759c18_b.jpg

There is lots of room down the right side of the hole, and that's going to be the main way to play the hole. But even if you go up the right side, there's tons of room short and right of the green to play your second shot pretty close to the green instead of being forced to lay up to 100 yards or so. If you go to the left of the lone tree (and the rough that is around that tree isn't all that penal), you'll probably have 190-210 yards to the center of the green from that fairway section. For me, no matter which side of the tree I'm on, I'm trying to get my second shot as close to the green as possible, especially knowing that there's a ton of room to bail out right of the green since the water is left of the green.
I guess that's the difference between a 9.2hc and a 17hc.

I guess that's the difference between a 9.2hc and a 17hc.

I tend to be an aggressive player, and I'd prefer a 20-40 yard shot over a 100 yard shot. So if I've got the chance on the second shot to get it close to the green (where the pattern of the grass changes near the green) instead of laying back, I'm going to do that.

To be honest with you, I think the one time I played this course, I aimed for a little right of the green and hit a pull, and the ball rolled through the rough near the tree and ended up in the fairway. I was sitting there about 200-210 yards out, and I wasn't going to hit 2 wedges to get onto the green, I went for it with a hybrid. I was playing the blue tees that day, which I'm going to assume you guys will play in the tournament.

I'm very aggressive as well. Probably try to pull off sh*t I have no business trying. Casual round I'd go for it every single time but in tournament play unless I have my partners blessing I'm playing a 3 shot. I'll be up there the Friday of the RR and I'll drop a couple balls from 200 out and give it a go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I tend to be an aggressive player, and I'd prefer a 20-40 yard shot over a 100 yard shot. So if I've got the chance on the second shot to get it close to the green (where the pattern of the grass changes near the green) instead of laying back, I'm going to do that.

To be honest with you, I think the one time I played this course, I aimed for a little right of the green and hit a pull, and the ball rolled through the rough near the tree and ended up in the fairway. I was sitting there about 200-210 yards out, and I wasn't going to hit 2 wedges to get onto the green, I went for it with a hybrid. I was playing the blue tees that day, which I'm going to assume you guys will play in the tournament.

It's funny - a few folks in the thread took my post on the hole as saying I'd be conservative. I actually think, with the Heavenwood in my hand, that I'm going for it nearly every time assuming I drive the ball well. At least if my sand game is better than it is right now by the time of the event. I'm a fan of getting as close as I can on approaches, especially now that I'm not shanking every other half wedge.

I'm very aggressive as well. Probably try to pull off sh*t I have no business trying. Casual round I'd go for it every single time but in tournament play unless I have my partners blessing I'm playing a 3 shot. I'll be up there the Friday of the RR and I'll drop a couple balls from 200 out and give it a go.

I've see your tee game, if the first hole is Shamble and depending on partner (for this hypothetical we'll say I'm your partner) I'm knocking us out there, which depending on the tees should still give us a chance to go for it in two and giving you the green light to go all Bubba Watson on the ball

I've see your tee game, if the first hole is Shamble and depending on partner (for this hypothetical we'll say I'm your partner) I'm knocking us out there, which depending on the tees should still give us a chance to go for it in two and giving you the green light to go all Bubba Watson on the ball
That's the scenario I'm hoping for...

Moving on to hole #2 - this time I'll stick to pictures from above. And I've made the executive decision to keep going in here, since I've enjoyed the banter about the event/pairings/etc that the first hole brought up.

afUrGH1.png

Hard dogleg right, playing 350 from the blues. That bunker in front of the green is deep-ish, so don't want to get stuck in the front of it. Like all of the greens on the course, being in the wrong spot could leave you with an "interesting" putt.

All about choosing the right club off the tee to set up that hole.

All about choosing the right club off the tee to set up that hole.

Actually reminds me a lot of the first hole at Cyprian Keyes, where we played w/ Pete and Alex this year - without the big uphill and protection from the tree on one side going into the green here.

The way the angles go on this hole I will hit hybrid or Heavenwood off the tee. Key to this hole is your approach shot. I found if you play your approach shot to the left side of the green and it will funnel to the middle of the green

Actually reminds me a lot of the first hole at Cyprian Keyes, where we played w/ Pete and Alex this year - without the big uphill and protection from the tree on one side going into the green here.
And hopefully without the rain and 40° temps.

I can only assume I would want to play a club distance just short of directly at the middle bunker off the fairway and if it fades a bit it should still be alright

Any way of telling distance to approx. where people are standing in fairway on 2nd hole?

Edit: Whatever distance is to where people are standing, add 1 club and carve it around the corner.

Looks like whatever club will get me to just right of those bunkers lining the left rough is the play off the tee (assuming the angle is there from the tee box). I'm guessing a good second shot here will be from less than 150yds and will hopefully leave a chance for a makeable birdie putt.

it's pretty similar design. I think those who play the course once will have an advantage here because they will know the line off the tee better.

Any way of telling distance to approx. where people are standing in fairway on 2nd hole?

Edit: Whatever distance is to where people are standing, add 1 club and carve it around the corner.

I think they are like 140-150 yards out

Back