THP Swing Tip: How to fix an over the top golf swing

I'm glad I discovered this thread...can't wait to get back to the driving range now!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bumping this old one for anyone that may be struggling.

My struggles with the driver have remained, and I "thought" I had made progress with my swing plane. After talking to a good friend who's seen me swing, he very kindly let me know I'm still coming over the top and that's where my issues are coming from. Few drills last night in the living room, and then a search of Freddie's tips here, and I'm looking forward to my next visits to the range. Time to get this fixed.

The slice begets the OTT which begets the slice.

I think most of the OTT move is in your head.

You see a slice, you want to steer away from it. Get good enough to get the face closed and it turns into the pulls.

It is very hard to swing "towards" where you don't want the ball to go.

Study the modern ball flight rules learn to lead with the lower body. When you lead with the lower body the axis of your shoulders, hence your swingplane tilts, facilitating an inside swing.

It's a labor of love.

Bumping this old one for anyone that may be struggling.

My struggles with the driver have remained, and I "thought" I had made progress with my swing plane. After talking to a good friend who's seen me swing, he very kindly let me know I'm still coming over the top and that's where my issues are coming from. Few drills last night in the living room, and then a search of Freddie's tips here, and I'm looking forward to my next visits to the range. Time to get this fixed.

Well, what happened? Have we gotten the old ott out of the way?

Well, what happened? Have we gotten the old ott out of the way?

Work in progress sir. Very good range time over the last week, in which I've used the tee drill I posted in the range thread, as well as over exaggerating the firing of the hips to start the downswing. Amazing what happens when you actually put into practice what you're saying. First 8 holes of my last round were glorious, but as the heat started getting me tired my old habits crept back in. The next 8 holes were spent chasing balls all over the course, but as soon as I forced myself to slow down and reengage the hips first, played the last two holes even with chances for birdie on each.

Thanks for checking in!

Question - is OTT the same as out to in?
Like others, I'm not sure what you mean by right arm over the left.

My right elbow is level to the ground. I'll try changing that.
I'm not keeping the club head in front of me. Again, I'll work on it.

Even with that, 50% of the time I'm getting the hips correct and then I get long straight drives.

What's wierd is that if I use my 3wood without a tee I have no problems. It's gotta be iny head.

Question - is OTT the same as out to in?
Like others, I'm not sure what you mean by right arm over the left.

My right elbow is level to the ground. I'll try changing that.
I'm not keeping the club head in front of me. Again, I'll work on it.

Even with that, 50% of the time I'm getting the hips correct and then I get long straight drives.

What's wierd is that if I use my 3wood without a tee I have no problems. It's gotta be iny head.

Yes, out to in is the as OTT. OTT means your swing arc on the down swing is over the swing arc on the back swing.

Right elbow should be pointed down at the right hip or ground when the club is at its peak.

The 3w is a shorter club so your swing flaws aren’t as pronounced but it’s the same swing path. You’re just able to get the lower and upper body to work together.

OK, thanks. Another round tomorrow so I can try it soon.

I'm still not understanding "right arm over the left". Are you meaning in the context of the back and forward arc or is this a literal, like position at the top of the back swing?

OK, thanks. Another round tomorrow so I can try it soon.

I'm still not understanding "right arm over the left". Are you meaning in the context of the back and forward arc or is this a literal, like position at the top of the back swing?

As the arms move from address to the top of your swing. The right arm will stay on top of the left. This forces the club back on a straighter path. If the left arm gets over the right, your path is way inside. Does that make sense?

Good thread

One thing that has helped me with my drivers is when addressing the ball, as I set me feet reach down with my right hand and touch my right knee. Then I just bring up my right hand and grip the club. This gets my shoulders in the right position and my right hand from getting to far on top of the grip. I also feel I can make a nice coil with this and stay more balanced.

Might not be the best spot for that, but I was struggling with a push/fade sometimes slice and although I didn't actually tape it I had to be OTT. I feel like im coming more up on it and more shallow. It just feels more fluid and natural.

One thing I’ve done with people in past lessons is have them throw me a kickball like they’re swinging a club. If you come over the top it’s hard to get the ball in the air and thrown to me. If coming from the inside, it’s easier to toss the ball. It exaggerates a swing that’s underplane but the feeling works to get the person to swing from the inside

Sent from HTX

As the arms move from address to the top of your swing. The right arm will stay on top of the left. This forces the club back on a straighter path. If the left arm gets over the right, your path is way inside. Does that make sense?

OH, OK, NOW I UNDERSTAND! I Just finished today's round so I'll check it out tomorrow. PS 5 FIR's today with driver on 9 holes. I'm averaging 180 yds with a 220 max. And my last two 9 hole rounds I shot 5 over par on both so I'm tickled pink. Thanks for your help Panda.

Re: correcting OTT & Right above Left & keeping the club face in front of you.

One of the problems for me has always been repeatability. I found a common reference point that is working for me. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with this for others). I'm bringing my left bicep to my chin and keeping my left elbow fixed, this keeps the club out on the back swing for me and I'm getting straight and slightly fade shots with it.

If you're like me and need a repeatable process type of way of eliminating a slice you might want to give it a try. (Hope this helps others!)

Lead Tape can add a bit more head feel

I was taking the club way inside, and coming way OTT. Results with driver would usually be a pull fade, ending on my back foot, going to a straight pull with short clubs. Worked really hard to reach the point where my takeaway, and position at top is much better. Under pressure tho, my instinct was still to throw the club out with my arms first. I've now started to concentrate on keeping my back to the target and dropping my hands straight down from the top til I reach my left hip (I'm a lefty). This move (feel?) seems to also help me engage my hips better, but it's such a new feeling that although my strike and ball flight are better, I'm not really going at it aggressively enough, and I don't feel like I'm getting the distance I want. My question is, am I on the right track with this "dropping of the hands" thing? Thanks...

I've been struggling with the right arm over the left. Wouldn't this result in a chicken wing? Or a right elbow parallel with the ground? Any videos would be appreciated. Do you still have a 90* wrist cock in the left at left arm parallel?

I feel like I may be turning too flat in the shoulders. I've tried to keep my right elbow hidden in my back's wing (effectively right over left) but it's hard.

ANYWAY. My big fix for over the top

Is to understand I don't need to apply downward force to the club. I do not need to swing DOWN. I am just swinging a baseball bat and my only objective is to make the ball go forward.

Pretty good swing thoughts here. Right arm over left on takeaway the drive the right knee toward the ball to start the downswing.

Some interesting posts here.
A simple definition of over the top during the first half of the downswing is when the right elbow points away from the body. The fix is to keep the right elbow down and close to the left elbow during transition through to impact. It feels weak and uncomfortable but so do the other essential elements of the golf swing.

Ah the memories, when my bil asked me in February 2018 if I wanted to try golf for the first time I spent 5 hours that night googling golf swing tips. About 45 minutes in I happened to click a link to some site called The Hackers Paradise Swing Tips. After reading every post in it I was able to go to the range and after a bucket of balls have my bil say"Your good enough to go play" and away I went on this fantastic journey. A big heart felt thank you goes out to @Tadashi70 for enabling me to find this game! 🙂

@LLIB maybe this thread can help with what we've talked about.

Back