THPers Over Seventy

Hoganman1

Reaction score
I know there's a thread for senior golfers over sixty, but I learned that the difference between sixty and seventy can be huge. I'll be seventy two next week. I try to play two or three rounds a week and still love the game. My index is 10.8 and I play from around 6000 yards in Winter and 6200 when it's warm. I'd like to hear from all you dinosaurs out there on anything you would like to discuss. I think we're really lucky to still be able to play this wonderful game. Please share your thoughts, accomplishments and how you try to stay competitive.

Fellow Dino here. Just turned 73 on January 1st. I play 3-4 times per week, 180+ rounds last year. Handicap up, distance down the past year for sure. Currently at 17, lowest was 11 three years ago. Most of my rounds are on ~6500 munis. I selectively have moved to combo tees on some courses. Fortunately, I have not had any physical issues (knees, hips, shoulders) and walk 95% of my rounds. I have had two holes in one and tied for first place in my Club Championship last month (lost on scorecard tiebreaker). Been fortunate to play St. Andrews and Pebble Beach. I live in Tucson so golf is year round. I play with two clubs and putt everything out whenever I play to stay competitive.

I’ll be 71 next month and play 4 to 5 rounds a week. Like to play 6000 to 6200 yards. My index (14) is high these days due to a knee injury, usually around 10 index.

How did this chance at Augusta come about???

I’ve only played at TPC Harding park. Although, my home course this year held a U.S. Open but way before you and I were even a thought
Fellow Dino here. Just turned 73 on January 1st. I play 3-4 times per week, 180+ rounds last year. Handicap up, distance down the past year for sure. Currently at 17, lowest was 11 three years ago. Most of my rounds are on ~6500 munis. I selectively have moved to combo tees on some courses. Fortunately, I have not had any physical issues (knees, hips, shoulders) and walk 95% of my rounds. I have had two holes in one and tied for first place in my Club Championship last month (lost on scorecard tiebreaker). Been fortunate to play St. Andrews and Pebble Beach. I live in Tucson so golf is year round. I play with two clubs and putt everything out whenever I play to stay competitive.
What do you mean when you say you play with two clubs?

I turned 76 in September.....I walk 18 holes twice a week and hit balls, chip and putt one of the weekend days. I play with a group of retired guys I worked with
and we travel all over the immediate area rather than belonging at a single club. We're lucky in this area (NW Ohio) in that there are a good number of fine
courses in good shape and with reasonable greens fees (I think it averaged out to about $17-18 per round, if you walk....$25 to ride. I'm a 10-11 Hcp., (Sr. tees) but,
like others our age, I'm losing distance like crazy. I just bought myself a set of resistance bands, and have been working with them faithfully a couple of times
a week to see if I can recover some of those lost yards. Just bought a set lightly used of Ben Hogan Edge irons, and I'm dying to try them out! Going to
Florida for a couple of weeks in February, so I'll see how they work out then!

Last edited:
I turned 76 in September.....I walk 18 holes twice a week and hit balls, chip and putt one of the weekend days. I play with a group of retired guys I worked with
and we travel all over the immediate area rather than belonging at a single club. We're lucky in this are (NW Ohio) in that there are a good number of fine
courses in good shape and with reasonable greens fees (I think it averaged out to about $17-18 per round, if you walk....$25 to ride. I'm a 10-11 Hcp., (Sr. tees) but,
like others our age, I'm losing distance like crazy. I just bought myself a set of resistance bands, and have been working with them faithfully a couple of times
a week to see if I can recover some of those lost yards. Just bought a set lightly used of Ben Hogan Edge irons, and I'm dying to try them out! Going to
Florida for a couple of weeks in February, so I'll see how they work out then!
Sounds like we're on the same page, Fatshot. I still do light workouts every morning. Hope the Hogan irons work for you. I bought a set of Hogan Edge EX back in June and really like them. I'm in Florida now. We missed the snow Izzy brought to our home in Charlotte. You should be able to play a lot when you're here in February. Remember Clint Eastwood's quote "just don't let the old man in".

"just don't let the old man in". 75 here and that is my motto. Working hard at it in the gym 6 days a week for 1.5 to 2 hours focusing on golf muscles.
I haven't lost much distance, so, this is working for me. Core specific workouts have really paid off.

I'm a few months away at 69, play 2-3 rounds per week plus some range time. The most important thing I do...STRETCH every day

I'm 78 and play 2 times a week. I belong to a semi private club , they own alot of courses in the Kanasas City area. There are 3 here in Topeka and a par 3in north Topeka. I have a golfing buddy and we go to 2 courses here, western hills and shawnee country club. Have a bad back, which makes practicing hard. I have lost distance alot, used to hit it 250. Now about 200 to 210, cold weather has close out golf for me for a while. Can't handle cold weather any more, heat and hunidity as well. Go out early in mornings when I play.

I'm 76 and am playing less because of failing eye sight. I am getting used to it but the days of playing solo golf have passed me by. I only play in club competition these days and rely on others to keep an eye on my shots. Surprisingly I still score under my age most days depending on how mobile my body is on the day. I still walk 18 holes , sometimes carry but mostly use a push cart.

I am 75 and play 4-5 times a week at my local club. We have a morning group that plays weekdays and I'm involved in the administration of play.
When I started to lose distance due to age, I began practicing my short game more and have improved that part of my game quite a bit. So, my scores are as good as they were when I was in my 50's.
During winter months I ride an exercise bike and work on my putting.

I did not know there were this many "seasoned" golfers here. I am 76 so I certainly fit the mold. Played frequently when I was younger then about 20 years ago it all came to a stop due to medical issues. Things are better now and I started back last year and hope to see some of my game return. Distance has become an issue but I compensated by moving to the Senior Tees and that offset some of the loss. As my physical condition improves, I hope to get a little more bass speed. Till then, I will put emphasis on the short game and putting.

"Do you guys use senior shafts?"

Sure do!! I began converting to Senior shafts about 3-4 years ago. I think every club in my bag now has a senior flex graphite shaft in it....

I'm a septuagenarian playing R-flex shafts and seeing my index crawl back to double digits.
I never used to be considered particularly long from a distance perspective--
always pretty much middle of the pack--
but for some reason, I'm long in my age group now.

I can still drive the ball 230 or thereabouts, and none of my regular playing partners are consitently doing that.
What I can't do is play decently walking the course anymore.
I walk the avatar and that's exercise enough.

"Do you guys use senior shafts?"

Sure do!! I began converting to Senior shafts about 3-4 years ago. I think every club in my bag now has a senior flex graphite shaft in it....

Nice, did they take some getting used to? I am not sure If I went to a senior shaft too soon. But, with a lot of body ailments, I know I will grow into them.

"Nice, did they take some getting used to?"

Don't really remember, but if they did, it was in a GOOD way, b/c they were easier to hit and helped me get
the right trajectory back and even a little bit of the "distance creep" I'd been losing.

I put a senior shaft in my Ping G400 driver about a month ago. It helped me pick up a few yards and my drives are straighter. I always tell people once you reach 70 "straight is the new long".
You know.....the next logical question is...."WHEN will I need to go to Ladies shafts to keep my distance???" I'm sure I'll do it grudgingly, and when I do, you better believe that those shafts will be black in color, and the "L" will be mysteriously scratched out....!!! :D. Of course, now we're talking about playing into our 80's, which I fully intend to do!

Last edited:
I haven't gone to senoir shafts yet, but am thinking I need to do something. Probably experiment with senoir shafts in driver first, that seems to be my problem right now. Getting off the tee box with any distance.

I'm 74 and play 5 days/week, year 'round, weather permitting. Normally that is somewhere around 180 rounds per year but this year only 169 as weather wasn;t as cooperative. I just had cataract surgery on my right eye on 1/5 and my left eye is being done today. What drove me to it was driving to the course in the dark and being totally blinded by the lights of oncoming traffic.

Distance loss was more noticeable this year, but weather and course conditions may have been contributing factors. I am comfortable playing at 6000 yards for the challenge but will often play a set of combo tees or move up a tee box if I'm looking to just have an enjoyable round. I've shot my age or better many, many times, doing it for the first time at age 68 on a par 70 course.

I went to senior shafts when I was fit at ECPC at #TheGrandaddy in 2018 and I'm really not sure I need them as I have been playing regular flex in my driver and fairway woods with some decent success.

I turned 72 on January 6. I play once or twice a week here in Sedona and my wife and I try to take a golf trip somewhere in Arizona once a month. I have been playing regular flex clubs but am ordering one of the new Cobra LTDx MAX drivers today with the senior flex shaft. I think I may need a reverse shoulder replacement sometime but am putting it off as long as I can.

I am going to take the plunge, ordered a senior flex shaft to put in my driver. An adapter also, now have a stiff, regular and senior flex shafts that fit my driver. Hoping senoir flex gives me back some distance.

Back