Three Club Challenge

Par5zN2

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I play in a Wednesday afternoon gaggle and next week we're going to play a Three Club Challenge...

Players can carry only three clubs, players choice. Holes are played tee to cup, no 'gimmies'. We're playing full handicaps for Low Net, Total Putts, Skins and Junks (Sandies, Greenies, Birdies) for quarters; basically our normal set of rules but with just three clubs.

I'm thinking 5w, 8i and putter. Maybe 3w, 7i and PW (putting with 3w).

What would you use?

6 hybrid
PW
Putter

I think

5w, gap wedge, putter for me

I am thinking putter, 8i and the longest club I have confidence hitting off the deck

See these come up every so often and it's always a fun thought exercise.

I'm torn a little between bringing a putter or using a wood/hybrid to putt to allow a SW in the bag. I'd either be:

4h/8i/54*
OR
5i/54*/putter

Depending on course layout, either:
4 wood, 8 iron, putter
Or
4 hybrid, 7 iron, gap wedge (putt with hybrid)

I think I would go 7i/52*/putter...

Hybrid, 8 iron, putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7i, LW, driver. I don't mind putting with my 7i or LW.

Course - Par 72
- 4 Par 5's - None are reachable without Driver & 3w so they'll all be three shots to the green.
- 4 Par 3's - Two play 150ish, One about 180 and One at 200.
- There are 4 long Par 4's, a 5w/8i won't reach them.

With this in mind I'm now thinking 3w/8i/GW; this would work 'if' I can putt well with my 3w, if not then maybe 3w/8i/Putter.

I'd probably go 5i, gw, putter

Can't hit a hybrid well so that's out

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

If there are no forced carries off the tee of more than 170 I'm going 6i, pw putter

Hybrid PW, putter

5 wood, 7 iron, 54* wedge. Putt with the wedge.

It would completely depend on the layout of the course for me and if there are any forced carries from the tee

I could be tempted to choose driver (and also use it to putt), 6i and my 52* wedge which gives me a good spread of distances and shots I can cover

3W, 7i, SW

5i-50*-putter

If there are no forced carries off the tee of more than 170 I'm going 6i, pw putter

This is certainly important. If one of the longer par 3s are over water, then the club choice could be determined by that hole.

There are no necessary carries off the tees, but there is 1 par 4 and 1 par 5 that have a necessary carry for a GIR...

3/4w, 8i, SW

2i, 7i, 52°

3 Hy ( Putt with it too )
6I
PW

There are no necessary carries off the tees, but there is 1 par 4 and 1 par 5 that have a necessary carry for a GIR...

I wouldn't be concerning myself with the carry for a GIR, I would more consider any actual carries are required as that could influence the club choices

I'd probably go 3 wood, PW, and Putter. Those are the clubs I hit the best, so I think I'd feel most comfortable with them.

Back