Three Minute Thursday: Simple Grip Replacement

Have spent many hours re-gripping clubs since my son was five. Between regular re-gripping and pluging in extensions as he was growing every season, I've tried a couple of methods of grip removal when just extending his junior clubs. I found the best way to salvage a grip is using an air compressor, to blow air into the butt end and expanding the grip away from the tape. There are a number of youtube vids on this method that would be much more instructive. The hook utility blade and the heat gun are the preferred methods if you're replacing an old grip. Some of the new solvents are non-flamable, and IF you use enough, works just fine.

One good tip I have found is if you are installing a Winn grip be sure to warm it up. In the summer I lay my grips out in the sun for a bit. In winter I use a hair dryer for a few minutes.

Been regripping for decades, and biggest discovery was you don't need full tape coverage... using two sided 3/4 inch tape spiral wrapped around at ~45 degree angle which leaves some gap works just fine (holds some solvent) and never lets grip get stuck... if building up multi layers of masking tape, bottom stuff can be full one-sided tape... Use two 3" pieces of old grip inside each other to hold shaft in bench vise just firm enough to prevent shaft rotating, use cup to hold just enough solvent to at least half fill grip, use small funnel to pour solvent into grip, always use a tee in end of grip in case you have to stand it up, finger on open end and shake grip couple times, pour solvent out of grip over taped length with funnel placed below to catch bulk solvent back into cup, slide grip on and pull tee at or near end of install, use towel to catch pressurized solvent spray out hole and wipe any excess... remove from vise, one push of grip end on floor to check seating, use towel to squeeze grip and check its spread out down the shaft evenly, check top alignment as needed, set aside and repeat...

Often thought about gripping station tray, but funnel works pretty well, and only regrip maybe twice a year if that. Add a little makeup solvent to cup as needed when doing a batch of clubs. Keep all gripping stuff in small pan up on shelf out of way, waiting for next time...

I just changed a grip last week using rubbing alcohol.
No smell, no tell, works great.

Awesome station and well done! It really is therapeutic doing these yourself even without a wonderful station like that. The compressor method is my preference but anyone could now do their own grips after watching that install video.

Maybe a video of how to get the old grip/tape off and clean the shaft before Installation? That's the time consuming and messy part so wouldn't be as 😎 though.

Well done!
I agree...it's not necessary to have a formal grip station, but I highly recommend having a vice. Can grips be installed without a vice? Sure. But even for someone who grips clubs every day it's a challenge to get them on straight and all the same length. A vice with shaft pads makes it so much easier and the result will be better.
A heat gun is a similar item. It's not mandatory to being able to remove old grip tape, but it certainly turns it from a tedious, time consuming chore into a piece of cake. You could almost remove old tape from a whole set of shafts using a heat gun in the same time it takes to do 1 shaft without it!

Reactions: J4U
awesome video! Finally biting the bullet and buying all the equipment to do it myself. 2 quick questions for JMan or anyone else--for the Mineral Spirits, do I want the "fast dissolve" or the "Slow dissolve" from Jasco? Does it matter?

Then the last question, i don't have a heat gun but definitely don't want to spend too much time peeling the old tape (especially since my clubs have never been regripped and had them for 3 years). Will a portable clothes steamer work the same as a heat gun? Anyone try? (I have one of those :p)

I have a question do you all just eye ball the club being straight up in the vise? Getting ready to try this later today i have everything i need.

Thank you

Where I shop, the price of the grip includes installation. So, have at it! Going tomorrow to have my Driver grip replaced, and buy some new golf gloves to replace the piece of crap one that I was using today! I won't say the name, but I'd only used it for a few rounds, and it was falling apart! I chucked it in the trash at the end of the round.

awesome video! Finally biting the bullet and buying all the equipment to do it myself. 2 quick questions for JMan or anyone else--for the Mineral Spirits, do I want the "fast dissolve" or the "Slow dissolve" from Jasco? Does it matter?

Then the last question, i don't have a heat gun but definitely don't want to spend too much time peeling the old tape (especially since my clubs have never been regripped and had them for 3 years). Will a portable clothes steamer work the same as a heat gun? Anyone try? (I have one of those :p)

I believe that either of those solvents would work just fine. A hair dryer provides sufficient heat to help loosen tape.

awesome video! Finally biting the bullet and buying all the equipment to do it myself. 2 quick questions for JMan or anyone else--for the Mineral Spirits, do I want the "fast dissolve" or the "Slow dissolve" from Jasco? Does it matter

Didn't know there was a difference in Mineral Spirits. I use the blue can. Tried the "green" bio friendly version, it didn't lubricate as easily and took more.
How much heat is needed for removing old tape varies. I have had a few where tape came off easily without heat and others that were seemed next to impossible to remove. Steamer is worth a try.

I have a question do you all just eye ball the club being straight up in the vise? Getting ready to try this later today i have everything i need..
Thank you
I just eye ball it. If the old grip was alignment type then put tape on shaft just down from the grip mark the tape aligned with the old grip then put new grip on aligned with that mark

Man, having a station like that would be killer
Can someone show me how they do it without an expensive station? My iron grips need replacing and would love to try it.

@shadymg -- I've regripped 5 clubs now this season (for the first time). It does get easier. Take your time at first. I use a blow dryer to heat up the tape. It helps.

I've never done this but it looks easy enough, as I plan to re-do my driver from standard to midsize. I have a bottle of white spirit which I've read works fine.

If only there was a simple way of keeping the old grip instead of having to cut it off. Other than finding someone with an air compressor and nozzle. That way you could buy a couple of different grips and go back and forth to see which you prefer.

Can someone show me how they do it without an expensive station? My iron grips need replacing and would love to try it.

If not having a station is preventing you, it shouldn't. I've never felt the need for one. It would be different if I did them professionally but to just do your own set, you don't need it.

I've never done this but it looks easy enough, as I plan to re-do my driver from standard to midsize. I have a bottle of white spirit which I've read works fine.

If only there was a simple way of keeping the old grip instead of having to cut it off. Other than finding someone with an air compressor and nozzle. That way you could buy a couple of different grips and go back and forth to see which you prefer.
Get one of these tools. Slip the tip under the grip then apply mineral spirits (or preferred lubricant) work the tool around and down the grip applying more lubricant until the grip is loose, remove the tool and pull off the grip.
Forgot to add link to the tool. https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

If you have a bench vise, a rubber shaft clamp like this ( shaft clamp ) and a hook blade utility knife are only tools needed. A heat gun can make tape removal easier but not neccessary.

Thoughts?

Perfec

Perfect, now I just need grips!

If you're doing your set, I always recommend buying 15 grips so that you can replace the high wear ones during the season.

Good luck; it's really quite simple to do.

The difference in doing it with a vice and without is night and day.

Back