Three Minute Thursday: Simple Grip Replacement

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We get a lot of questions about club building and grip replacement and figured it was time for a Three Minute Thursday. Where you get the tips you are looking for in three minutes or less.

Today we decided to put on a new Golf Pride MCC Teams grip on a driver in the THP Tech Studio and of course wanted to make it match perfectly.

Do you do replace your own grips? If not, does a simple tip like this help you get the basics down and want to give it a try?

Continue reading...

Great short video @Jman . I agree 110% about the more solvent the better. I have found that with some of the newer grips they actually need more time with solvent in them as it takes them longer to stick or absorb and then more solvent on the tape. I’ve lost a few half way on by using same time I had used on older grips....not a fun result.

I really enjoyed this. Changing grips is not as difficult as some might think as shown here by James.

More solvent. This is what I need to listen to.

More solvent. This is what I need to listen to.

I have been doing mine for years, love the fact that i can...I also wear an apron when i do it as sometimes when i push one on, the excess shoots out the grip hole at the top, great solvent smell on the t shirt the rest of the day......:LOL:

Last edited:
I have been doing grips for a long time myself. As James mentions while a grip station makes things much easier its not necessary. Great video

Just like what @DannyLe says about using epoxy .... use more & not less. The same can be said about solvent. Especially if you have a setup like this with the catch all underneath it. You can save the solvent & use it again. I replace my grips at least twice a year (just did it again actually a few weeks ago when I reshafted the irons) or when a new grip comes out that I might want to try. It's easy, saves you time & money. I've been doing it since I was a teenager.

Great stuff @Jman . Looking to try this for myself this winter.

Great video. For anyone thinking about doing this a proper station makes it easier but it's not necessary. Using enough solvent solves (I guess pun intended...) a lot of issues. Grips are a great gateway into tinkering: you can impact swing weight, to some extent minor club face tendencies (e.g. using a thicker grip), and just the overall feel. I get most of my stuff from Golfworks.

Nice video. Looks more stable than my wife holding the club for me over a tin pan 🤣

Thanks for the 3 minute quick video!

Mooooore solvent! I just changed my grips for the first time and kicked myself for not doing it earlier. It was so easy! And even a little therapeutic.

I have been doing grips for a long time myself. As James mentions while a grip station makes things much easier its not necessary. Great video
Yup, I’m actually still using the bathroom sink at home :ROFLMAO:

Great video @Jman. Quick and to the point!! I just do mine out in the garage and use my bench vice. Having one of those grip stations sure would be nice though!

Awesome station and well done! It really is therapeutic doing these yourself even without a wonderful station like that. The compressor method is my preference but anyone could now do their own grips after watching that install video.

Maybe a video of how to get the old grip/tape off and clean the shaft before Installation? That's the time consuming and messy part so wouldn't be as 😎 though.

Well done!

It was interesting seeing a different technique as well. Everyone obviously does things different and there isn't a wrong way. I was taught to hold my thumb over the top of the grip and use the hole at the bottom to let all the solvent come out.

Awesome video James. I have been doing my own forever. Don't have the fancy grip station setup, but still a quick and easy process. The only additional thing I do not shown in the video is put a tee in the hole in the grip butt cap instead of covereing it with my finger. I leave it in there while sliding the grip on as it seems to help it slide on easier. Pull it out once the grip is on. Just have to be careful not to get sprayed with solvent when pulling the tee out.

Nice video Jman! Nice to see that you guys do it the same way I do. I always wonder sometimes if I'm missing something when a grip gets stuck, but I always assume it's more solvent. Now I go way overboard, but it's so much easier.

I have been doing mine for years, love the fact that i can...I also wear an apron when i do it as sometimes when i push one on, the excess shoots out the grip hole at the top, great solvent smell on the t shirt the rest of the day......:LOL:
I had never thought to wear an apron while regripping. Learn something new every day! Thank you.(y)

Awesome 3 min Thursday!!! I’ve been doing my own grips for awhile now! Just so easy to do. A station like that would be awesome!!!

Is there a particular solvent you like to use???

Thanks for the video, Jman. Love the grip station. I'm forced to use my bench vise with a small table set up with a pan to catch the solvent. Still manage to get it on my garage floor. As has been previously said, (1) sometimes getting the old tape off is a chore, and (2) regripping can be very therapeutic. A friend taught me how to regrip and advised me to buy a hook blade for my knife to use in removing old grips.

Great video, thinking about putting a grip station in my garage. Quick question, can the excess solvent be used again? And if so, does a grip station generally make it easy to pour the excess back into the solvent container?

Back