Three Minute Thursday: Simple Grip Replacement

Agree, use plenty of solvent. I use odorless mineral spirits. less expensive than "grip Solvent", does the same job, and leaves no odor if and when you do spill some on the floor or yourself. Rather than plugging hole in end of the grip I hold the grip with palm of one hand over the hole, use that had to hold grip level with the shaft and push while the other hand is guiding the grip down and straight.

Solvent is cheap. Having to replace a grip twice at the same time is not. Use more solvent.

Agree, use plenty of solvent. I use odorless mineral spirits. less expensive than "grip Solvent", does the same job, and leaves no odor if and when you do spill some on the floor or yourself. Rather than plugging hole in end of the grip I hold the grip with palm of one hand over the hole, use that had to hold grip level with the shaft and push while the other hand is guiding the grip down and straight.
I’m a user of mineral spirits as well. Not truly odorless, but way better! :ROFLMAO:

Great video covering the basics, @Jman - I'll echo others, I'd love to have a grip station like that! Can't stress "more solvent" enough - it really sucks to get a grip halfway on and then have to fight with it the rest of the way, especially when you don't have a proper clamp for your shaft.

Great video covering the basics, @Jman - I'll echo others, I'd love to have a grip station like that! Can't stress "more solvent" enough - it really sucks to get a grip halfway on and then have to fight with it the rest of the way, especially when you don't have a proper clamp for your shaft.
I’ve dropped many expletives in the past when I was first learning to regrip. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve dropped many expletives in the past when I was first learning to regrip. :ROFLMAO:
I'm going to have to try the heat gun suggestion from this thread next time. For me, the most time consuming and hateful part of regripping is peeling the old grip off and cleaning all the old tape off the shaft.

Great short video @Jman . I agree 110% about the more solvent the better. I have found that with some of the newer grips they actually need more time with solvent in them as it takes them longer to stick or absorb and then more solvent on the tape. I’ve lost a few half way on by using same time I had used on older grips....not a fun result.
I had issues putting the standard Hogan Lamkins on my combo set, first set that I had so many issues with it not going on easy I tried the compressor method (lightbulb)

I'm going to have to try the heat gun suggestion from this thread next time. For me, the most time consuming and hateful part of regripping is peeling the old grip off and cleaning all the old tape off the shaft.
It totally helps. (y)

It works. Just a bit of heat and you will see the tape bubble.

Hope to see more of these Three Min Thursday videos. Maybe one can be down to fix my swing in 3 mins!!! 😂

Hope to see more of these Three Min Thursday videos. Maybe one can be down to fix my swing in 3 mins!!! 😂
Sign me up for that one too! :ROFLMAO:

I need to learn how to do that then there is no waiting for the shop to get it done. Any tips or tricks for proper alignment @Jman?

Great video James! Should really help people become confident to do the job themselves. Thanks for helping me get a grip on this concept.

I need to learn how to do that then there is no waiting for the shop to get it done. Any tips or tricks for proper alignment @Jman?
Without a table and speed clamp? Slow and steady. I do all mine at home over the sink and you’ve got more than enough time to move the grip around and get it aligned, it’s not a quick tack thing, so slow and steady is key. Irons and woods are actually easiest, aligning putters without a clamp setup can be a B though.

Great video.
I haven't changed my own grips since I worked at DSG 6 years ago.

Went ahead and ordered a gripping station to set up in the garage, and some new grips! Time to get back into it!

Nice video, James.

My takeaway is that I always laugh whenever I see the GolfWorks tape dispenser, and how much effort one must exert in order to rip the tape. I wish They would improve that. Man I hate that dispenser!

After watching this video & another YT video, I decided to try to re-grip 3 clubs as a test.
I didn't want to mess with my gamers until I knew for sure what i was doing.
I used a razor blade to cut the grips. This sucked. I get the hooked blade now.
I used a plenty of solvent & collected the run off in my roller painting tray and put into a bottle for reuse.
Discovered this is so much easier than I ever thought it was.
So I order the light blue MCC TEAM grips (UNC) to redo all of my gamers and I got a hooked blade.

1 question: If I wanted to add masking tape to build up the lower part of the grip, would this go on first
before the double sided tape? It would right?

Oh and thank you for the video and everyone's input.

Great work @Jman, just wear some gloves my man. That solvent can do some damage to skin.

Back