Throwback-First purchased WITB

Dt1741

Reaction score
Handicap
What was your first set of clubs that you bought, new or used? My first i purchased used from another fellow lefty. For $125, the set consisted of Tommy Armour 855 2-P,S odyssey dual force bronze putter, and a bubble burner 3 wood. This included a ping hoofer bag.

From my first real paycheck post-college? It was a set of used Ping i3 o-sized irons. First driver was Macgregor NVG2 driver.

Nike SQ Sumo irons from Sports Authority were the first clubs I bought after starting with a box set that was gifted to me.

Sweet set. I bet that was a fun day. New or used?

both were used. Loved those irons, they got replaced with i10's a few years later.

Tommy Armour 845 irons.
Founders Club The Judge Driver
Cleveland 588 Wedges
Callaway Warbird FW Wood

I honestly can't remember anything other than the putter, an Anser, probably 1985.

Cleveland TA-5 irons with whippy grahite shafts and a Nike Sasquatch driver that grunted..

Cleveland HiBore driver
Snake Eyes Viper 3 & 5 wood
Snake Eyes Python OS irons
Adams Tom Watson wedges
Alien putter I picked up at Big Lots for $4

TaylorMade M2 2017, M2 2017 3W, Henry Griffitts 7 wood, Cadillac 4-PW irons (senior flex graphite...and, yes, the car brand), some knock-off Titleist SW and a knock-off Odyssey 2 ball

I purchased the M2s new and everything else I traded a family member for. Those irons were so awful for me with those shafts that I quickly purchased Cobra SpeedZone irons that I also quickly grew out of since they were way too hot for me.

1994, brand new set of KMart Dunlop's while at home on leave coming back from Okinawa on my way out to NC. Driver - PW. Pretty sure there was no putter in there.

Sexy set right there

I worked at a course for a full year to save up and buy that.
Irony being that the clubs cost pretty much the same as they do now.

Cleveland HiBore driver
Snake Eyes Viper 3 & 5 wood
Snake Eyes Python OS irons
Adams Tom Watson wedges
Alien putter I picked up at Big Lots for $4
The hibore was sweet!! And the set of watson wedges were fire!

In around 1996 I bought a used set of Northwestern clubs - Driver, 3W, 3, 5, 7 & 9 irons. And a brand new Northwestern putter. I still have the putter!

Purchased used from play it again sports about 6 years ago when I picked up the game.

Callaway Pro Series X-14 3-P,A,S
Callaway Big Bertha Driver, I think it was the original BB
Callaway War Bird 3 wood, never hit one decent with it, later found out it was lengthened at least an inch or two...
Carbite blade putter, some really old model I got for 10$

The woods and putter were so outdated when I got them but I loved those irons even though they were 10 years old at the time. Great first set of irons and I wish I kept them.

Ram Tour Grinds 1980.

I wish I still had my stuff. I remember northwestern stuff
I can't quite remember what the backs looked like, but they were definitely blades. And the woods were laminated, but painted dark navy - probably 1/2 the reason why I settled on that set!

First set of irons where Ping Eye 2's that I picked up at a garage sale for $75. (I think she was mad at her husband ;))

The first set of irons I purchased was the RAC LT and MB combo set. Didn’t last very long but they were pretty.

The first clubs I ever bought were Browning 440 Low Profile irons and Browning persimmon driver, 3w and 5w, and a Ping Pal putter that I got new in 1978 or so. Not long after I dumped those irons and bought a new set of original Ping Eye (before Eye 2 came out) irons. My father in law still plays those Pings.

Love this thread! My first non-knockoff bag would have consisted of the following:

Driver: Titleist 983K
3 Wood: Adams Tight Lies
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha (4-PW with the 10 iron!)
Sand Wedge: Snake eyes 56*
Lob wedge: Cleveland 588
Putter: Zebra

Mid 90's I bought a full set of Knight brand clubs for $100 from a mail order catalog.

Back