Tiger vs. Jack: who is the greatest of all time?

Who is the greatest golfer of all time?

• Tiger

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Jack

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters
does that same philosophy go with other sports? so dan marino has to be top 5 all time qb if you take away the fact that he never won a superbowl but changed the passing game during his era.

As someone who has been a football fan since the late 60s, I find it difficult to compare the different QBs of different eras.

Is Tom Brady truly better than Johnny Unitas? I don’t know. Different eras, different rules, different style of play. The 5 yard no contact rule is a huge difference.

The emphasis on passing has changed.
The rules have changed to favor offense and passing.
How the position is played has changed. QBs no longer stand in the pocket and take a beating. They get rid of the ball sooner and tend to be more mobile. I don’t think Drew Brees or Tom Brady would be playing effectively into their 40s if they played in the 60s or 70s.

For Marino, a great QB who loses some luster because HIS TEAM never won the Super Bowl.

As someone who has been a football fan since the late 60s, I find it difficult to compare the different QBs of different eras.

Is Tom Brady truly better than Johnny Unitas? I don’t know. Different eras, different rules, different style of

How the position is played has changed. QBs no longer stand in the pocket and take a beating. They get rid of the ball sooner and tend to be more mobile. I don’t think Drew Brees or Tom Brady would be playing effectively into their 40s if they played in the 60s or 70s.

For Marino, a great QB who loses some luster because HIS TEAM never won the Super Bowl.
I agree with everything you said...I was just trying to make a point with canadan about championships.

As so many have said, it is impossible to know, since they played in different eras. I lean ever so slightly to tiger, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar on it in Vegas.

I agree with everything you said...I was just trying to make a point with canadan about championships.

Championships are overvalued by many as a measuring stick of greatness. It can be a significant factor but it is not overriding. In individual sports championships are extremely significant in measuring greatness. It’s much less in team sports.

As so many have said, it is impossible to know, since they played in different eras. I lean ever so slightly to tiger, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar on it in Vegas.

They both had the desire to be great and the talent to achieve it.

we have attorneys in here. I demand a side chosen. 😂😂😂

Is Tom Brady truly better than Johnny Unitas? I don’t know. Different eras, different rules, different style of

Marino had a bad temper to the point where it affected team chemistry and Shula let it go.

Today's QB's still take a beating even if they are more protected. Ask Drew how all those broken ribs felt. ;)

If we use todays rules of QB protection against the rules of the 1970's........., then why aren't there more 43 year old QB's out there like Brady still quarterbacking a team into the playoff's. There are many other factors to consider.

Brady's pocket presence, foot work, and being light on his feet enables him to be a successful pocket passer into his 40's. . Not to mention that he's probably the best reader of NFL defenses in history.

Watch a few videos on Brady shifting around in the pocket while maintaining the perfect body angles for a quick release and you'll see what I'm talking about. Manning was also a master of the technique.

the greatest has many measures with majors as the typical benchmark. I'm going a different direction. Ben Hogan. Not that he could outdrive Jack or Tiger and certainly could not out-putt them.

Rather, taught himself largely and lifted himself out of poverity. Failed when he was young on tour. Won a ton of majors including one that was later considered "not a major", had incredibly bad accident and still won. then went on to help many with his instruction and later equipment. Further, Hogan had legit competition as did Jack. If he could putt no telling how many he would have won.

I like Ben because compared to Tiger and Jack he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and still had an incredible result against very good peers (e.g. Sam and Byron).

Plus he has a swing that even today is great.

the greatest has many measures with majors as the typical benchmark. I'm going a different direction. Ben Hogan. Not that he could outdrive Jack or Tiger and certainly could not out-putt them.

Rather, taught himself largely and lifted himself out of poverity. Failed when he was young on tour. Won a ton of majors including one that was later considered "not a major", had incredibly bad accident and still won. then went on to help many with his instruction and later equipment. Further, Hogan had legit competition as did Jack. If he could putt no telling how many he would have won.

I like Ben because compared to Tiger and Jack he was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and still had an incredible result against very good peers (e.g. Sam and Byron).

Plus he has a swing that even today is great.

Which is why Moe Norman and Lee Trevino are two of my all time favorites.

Two obscure individuals who dug it out of the dirt and found a uncommon level of admiration among their peers even though they never won 18 majors. American snobbery robbed us of something special when it came to Moe Norman.

Which is why Moe Norman and Lee Trevino are two of my all time favorites.

Two obscure individuals who dug it out of the dirt and found a uncommon level of admiration among their peers even though they never won 18 majors. American snobbery robbed us of something special when it came to Moe Norman.
This is a sincere question. Was it American snobbery or just snobbery, in the sense that Norman was very unusual?

If we use todays rules of QB protection against the rules of the 1970's........., then why aren't there more 43 year old QB's out there like Brady still quarterbacking a team into the playoff's.

Because Brady is the exception and is clearly an aberration and an anomaly

Because teams want younger, more athletic QBs

Because most QBs retire before 40

Because most QBs can’t continue to play at such a high level at that age

This is a sincere question. Was it American snobbery or just snobbery, in the sense that Norman was very unusual?

They didn't take the time to understand Moe and lit into him about his clothes and his teeth.

They could have approached Moe in a much more humane way in my opinion.

Tiger, Jack couldn't play in the modern era.
tiger was the most dominate golfer for a 10 year period but overall jack is the greatest for a career. whole career matters not just a 10 year span. that's why bo jackson is not the greatest rb of all time. injuries matter
Completely agree with career it is Jack but Tiger over a shorter span. I do think by far the talent level is deeper today but the guys who were their direct competition were better in Jack’s day. Started with Palmer and others, Trevino, Floyd, Watson, etc. and they had no fear and didn’t falter.

On the above comment about Jack couldn’t play in the modern era....WTF are you drinking because it must be good. Tiger could have played back in Jack’s prime and vice versa. Different eras and different thinking, training, etc. but those guys would have adjusted.

It's time to rehash this and decide who is the greatest golfer of all time, Tiger or Jack? And why do you choose that person?
Jack. Count the majors.

Arnold Palmer.

Tiger and its not close.
Tiger is up there to be considered as greatest sportsman.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Recency bias plays into it for me as I never Jack at his greatest but Tiger was so freaking good!

Tiger. it's science.

Did they ever “Jack” proof a course?
They probably did, Jack was way long in his day. At the 1963 PGA Championship he hit a drive 341 yds with a small persimmon headed driver and a ball that was mush compared to the Pro V's of today. 🔥

I picked Jack.
With the equipment and balls they used back then, he displayed power and length above his contemporaries.
He did not practice incessantly or workout like a madman. He used off time to get to his children’s events.
Put him in today’s world, he would be long or longer with today’s equipment and he most certainly would workout to remain competitive as they all do now.

Old response - Jack has more majors and more seconds (and 7 thirds).
Let's add this: List your top 10 male golfers of all time. Probably Jack, Tiger, Jones, Hogan Snead, Palmer, Player, Watson, Gene and Nelson. You can swap out one and add Hagen if you want. In his prime (and in theirs by the way) Jack played against three of them. Tiger? None. I say the top 30 of Jack's era stack up very nicely against the current crop. The top 250 maybe not so much.
This is for all those that say Jack didn't have the same competition. Go down to the top 20 of all time and Tiger adds Els and Philly Mick. Jack adds Billy Casper, Trevino at least.
Just my opinion and food for thought.

Let's add this: List your top 10 male golfers of all time. Probably Jack, Tiger, Jones, Hogan Snead, Palmer, Player, Watson, Gene and Nelson.
You forgot Harry Vardon, and both of the Tom Morris'.
If you really mean "of all time."

Back