Tiger vs. Jack: who is the greatest of all time?

Who is the greatest golfer of all time?

• Tiger

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Jack

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters
They're equal. :)

I voted Jack but I'm honestly surprised that the vote is currently so close (23 for Nicklaus vs 25 for Tiger). I expected Tiger to win by a lot because:
a) recency bias: people tend to remember the latest thing more/better - a lot of golfers never really saw or followed Jack during his prime, but everyone saw what Tiger did
b) Tiger had a flair for the dramatic & was visually impressive during his dominant years. He was "must watch" TV - even for non-golf fans.

Don't know they would crack the too ten but I think if we go modern era the point is proved.
The question was, "Who is the greatest of all time?" and not "Who is the greatest of the modern era?"

Limiting the "greatest of all time" to the modern era is like asking,"Who was the best American President?" and limiting it to those that took office after 1960...

Let's see.

Harry Vardon won The Open Championship six times (still the record) and the US Open once, coming in second in the US Open another two times. He is generally considered one of the best golfers of all time and was one of the initial group of inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame. Oh yeah, the Vardon Trophy is awarded by the PGA (of America) to the PGA Tour's leader in scoring average, so they must believe that he was good.

Old Tom Morris won The Open Championship four times, before there even was a US Open, and was very influential in the design and development of the modern links golf course. His son, Young Tom Morris, also won four Open Championships, again before the US Open existed, and did that by the time he turned 21. He is still the youngest man to win a major, at 17 years old. Who knows, if the young one hadn't died from a pulmonary hemorrhage at 24 he might have really amounted to something...

Asking "Who is the greatest (golfer) of all time?" and limiting the choice to Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus is just plain silly.

Tiger has to get to 18 otherwise this is not even a discussion- case closed. He played against far weaker superstars and has far less top threes in majors. Put Nicklaus with same clubs and balls and these two would have epic battles.

The question was, "Who is the greatest of all time?" and not "Who is the greatest of the modern era?"

Limiting the "greatest of all time" to the modern era is like asking,"Who was the best American President?" and limiting it to those that took office after 1960...

Let's see.

Harry Vardon won The Open Championship six times (still the record) and the US Open once, coming in second in the US Open another two times. He is generally considered one of the best golfers of all time and was one of the initial group of inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame. Oh yeah, the Vardon Trophy is awarded by the PGA (of America) to the PGA Tour's leader in scoring average, so they must believe that he was good.

Old Tom Morris won The Open Championship four times, before there even was a US Open, and was very influential in the design and development of the modern links golf course. His son, Young Tom Morris, also won four Open Championships, again before the US Open existed, and did that by the time he turned 21. He is still the youngest man to win a major, at 17 years old. Who knows, if the young one hadn't died from a pulmonary hemorrhage at 24 he might have really amounted to something...

Asking "Who is the greatest (golfer) of all time?" and limiting the choice to Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus is just plain silly.
Add Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, or Ben Hogan and agree.

As so many have said, it is impossible to know, since they played in different eras. I lean ever so slightly to tiger, but I wouldn’t bet a dollar on it in Vegas.
I think you’ve got my vote here as well. Such different eras make this a tricky comparison.

Jack, hands down. He was a gentleman on top of it all

Jack, saw him at his prime, likewise for Tiger. They both had that Stare, had extra in the tank when needed. I gave the edge to Jack because of the equipment he had to work with, along with course conditions, and who Jack had to beat. In my heart I still favor Hogan but Jack for the win.

I've seen some comments about how Jack would do really well in today's game which makes sense. I wonder though how would Tiger do back in Jack's era? It's fun to think about and wonder if Jack or Tiger would have as many majors as they do.

I've seen some comments about how Jack would do really well in today's game which makes sense. I wonder though how would Tiger do back in Jack's era? It's fun to think about and wonder if Jack or Tiger would have as many majors as they do.
I truly believe the transcendent stars would do well in any era. Tiger hung onto a steel shaft in his driver much longer than many Tour players. He hammered that thing, absolutely nuked it. Even now, Tiger is considered to be possibly the best iron player on tour, when he is on. His blades have very little technology. Tiger would have torn it up in any era. So would have Jack, imho.

I’m going Tiger, simply because I witnessed his career and what he did. As a golfer, to see the control that guy had on his golf ball during his prime was simply remarkable. That being said, I wouldn’t argue that hard against Jack being named the greatest.

It is a difficult one to pick a winner.
Jack was a better athlete than Tiger. One has to be a gifted athlete to be selected as a guard in basketball.
Tiger owned a more versatile golf swing and used a better technique than Jack.
Jack won more majors, but Tiger won more tournaments.
Tiger won four consecutive majors, a feat that may never be beaten or equalled.
Tiger was tougher than Jack and was more dominant.
Jack is done. Tiger is still lurking.

I've only seen clips of Jack so I really don't know the answer to this but did Jack face huge, rowdy crowds like Tiger has throughout his whole career? That has to be insane trying to stay focused when you have crowds like that following along with you every single tournament. Would that have impacted Jack at all to deal with those kind of crowds?

I've only seen clips of Jack so I really don't know the answer to this but did Jack face huge, rowdy crowds like Tiger has throughout his whole career? That has to be insane trying to stay focused when you have crowds like that following along with you every single tournament. Would that have impacted Jack at all to deal with those kind of crowds?

You’re too young, it’s obvious from your response, to remember how the golf crowds treated Jack early in his career. Jack was not well received by a number of fans as his ascent coincided with the decline of the King, the fan favorite. Tiger never faced the animosity from the crowd that Jack did.

Google the 1962 US Open.

You’re too young, it’s obvious from your response, to remember how the golf crowds treated Jack early in his career. Jack was not well received by a number of fans as his ascent coincided with the decline of the King, the fan favorite. Tiger never faced the animosity from the crowd that Jack did.
I'm absolutely too young to know how he was treated so this is good to know. Did that animosity last throughout his whole career? To me having to deal with massive crowds, even when they're on your side, has be to stressful your whole career.

Google the 1962 US Open.

It would continue
I'm absolutely too young to know how he was treated so this is good to know. Did that animosity last throughout his whole career? To me having to deal with massive crowds, even when they're on your side, has be to stressful your whole career.

I can recall back to the late 60s and even though he was in decline, Arnie was still the most popular player. Some, in Arnie’s Army didn’t care for “Fat Jack”.

Tiger publicly said the measurement was majors. Jack has more.
Follow up....I do believe with a very high level of certainty - say >95% - that Tiger would have passed Jack for most majors if he had stayed healthy. But he didn't.

It is a difficult one to pick a winner.
Jack was a better athlete than Tiger. One has to be a gifted athlete to be selected as a guard in basketball.
Tiger owned a more versatile golf swing and used a better technique than Jack.
Jack won more majors, but Tiger won more tournaments.
Tiger won four consecutive majors, a feat that may never be beaten or equalled.
Tiger was tougher than Jack and was more dominant.
Jack is done. Tiger is still lurking.
I can never really understand this idea that Jack was a better athlete than Tiger.
Tiger literally brought Athleticism to golf. All the modern players give credit to Tiger for bringing the obsessive fitness regime to the game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I can never really understand this idea that Jack was a better athlete than Tiger.
Tiger literally brought Athleticism to golf. All the modern players give credit to Tiger for bringing the obsessive fitness regime to the game.

Athleticism was already in golf, it just wasn't being taught. There was an agreement in place between the governing bodies of teaching professionals in USA, Britian, Australia and others to standardise golf instruction between countries. As far as I know that agreement is still in place.
Google World Golf Teachers Federation

Last edited:

Jack had a college scholarship to OSU for basketball. He decided to play golf instead.

Jack
Not only is Jack ahead in the Majors total,
but if you also look at the times he finished 2nd or 3rd. That’s amazing. I also disagree that Jack was far and away the longest in his era, why you think that a 25 year old Nicklaus with today’s equipment and ball wouldn’t be the longest in the modern era.

Tiger, he changed the game. Too bad it doesn't seem likely Tiger will reach 18 majors.

Tiger, he changed the game. Too bad it doesn't seem likely Tiger will reach 18 majors.

I'd argue Arnie, Sam, Hogan and others changed the game long before Tiger of Jack. Palmer brought sports marketing to golf and with it purses. I think the primary arguement for Tiger and Jack is wins and majors.

Back