Tiger vs. Jack: who is the greatest of all time?

Who is the greatest golfer of all time?

• Tiger

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Jack

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
It's time to rehash this and decide who is the greatest golfer of all time, Tiger or Jack? And why do you choose that person?

Tiger, Jack couldn't play in the modern era.

I think head to head at their prime Tiger would win. Had he not had the back and personal issues I think he would have taken down Jack's Major record.

Majors count for everything...Jack!

They play to win majors, so for me, it’s Jack.

Tiger. :golf2:

Jack, for the same reasons as above.

I picked Tiger. Although, I am very on the fence about that and could easily be pushed.

Tiger's great but Jack has the majors. Jack also finished runner-up 19 times in majors. Tiger can't touch that record of performance.

Tiger publicly said the measurement was majors. Jack has more.

I always look at it as two different measurements. I think Tiger was the greatest golfer ever because of how dominating he was and how much of an impact the Tiger effect had on his opponents.

I always though of Jack having the better career since he has more majors. However since Tiger has more wins total does that change it at all? I bounce back and forth on that.

Majors don't hold anywhere near as much water for me as they do for most.

I'm taking Tiger and feeling good about it. He redefined the game and what's possible.

Both phenomenal talents, but Jack has the majors. Jack wins unless Tiger passes him.

Jack :wavey:

Jack won the most Majors ever
Jack's era Major competition was better (Arnie, Player, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Casper, Miller) versus (Phil, Els, Rory, Vijay, Goosen, Paddy, Bubba) for Tiger
Jack has won the most Masters
Jack has tied the most US Opens wins
Jack has tied the most PGA Championship wins
Tiger doesn't have the most or tied most wins in any major

I voted neither. “GOAT” is too subjective and carries a tendency to be influenced by a recency bias. I wonder how many people voting even saw Jack play in his prime.

I voted other.

Neither Jack, or nor Tiger was/is the GOAT.

They, like other great golfers through out the years, were nothing more than GOTE. "GREATEST OF THEIR ERA"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
So who's your number 1 then?

tiger was the most dominate golfer for a 10 year period but overall jack is the greatest for a career. whole career matters not just a 10 year span. that's why bo jackson is not the greatest rb of all time. injuries matter

Jack's era Major competition was better (Arnie, Player, Watson, Trevino, Seve, Casper, Miller) versus (Phil, Els, Rory, Vijay, Goosen, Paddy, Bubba) for Tiger

Do you think the competition was really that much better in Jack's era or was Tiger just that much better than everyone else in his? If you look at the rest of the field they were all prettycompetitive amongst each other but Tiger came out and redefined the game. Is it the fault of the competition or is it that Tiger brought a whole new type of strategy to the sport?

tiger was the most dominate golfer for a 10 year period but overall jack is the greatest for a career. whole career matters not just a 10 year span. that's why bo jackson is not the greatest rb of all time. injuries matter

Do you take additional tour wins in to consideration or is it strictly majors for you?

My thoughts also Jack. :golf::golf2:

Tiger. Feel like I could be swayed. But I know what I saw. To me he was so much better than the second best player at any given time during his peak which was super long despite being cut short by about 5 years than anyone else in any other sport. MJ is the only one that was close to me. He completely changed the sport of golf. I didn't see a second of Jack's prime but I don't feel like anyone ever talks about him like that. Most of my friends dads that did watch Jack admit Tiger is better.

This could be an argument like when a 25-30 year old swears Lebron is better than MJ though. I look at that person and think this is sheer lunacy.

Do you think the competition was really that much better in Jack's era or was Tiger just that much better than everyone else in his? If you look at the rest of the field they were all prettycompetitive amongst each other but Tiger came out and redefined the game. Is it the fault of the competition or is it that Tiger brought a whole new type of strategy to the sport?

Do you take additional tour wins in to consideration or is it strictly majors for you?
I think it is the bolded part but again, I didn't watch Jack live.

Reactions: KEV
Back