Tiger Woods and Foley

cooljiain

Reaction score
Handicap
+2
Will tiger ever think to himself its been 2 years of working on a swing and its still not in flow and comfortable and just not working. tiger has been with Foley long enough to get his game in shape and simply hasn't worked. i always looking at him these days know he will have at least one bad day and all these practice rehearsal swings are still part of his shot routine which means he isnt trusting the swing. foley has no answers he plays a guessing game of what could be the next best method. tiger should listen to butch for his long game and go to foley for his chipping. that combination would kill fields. foleys players in majors have awful record and very inconsistent too, tiger needs to be more natural to let out his natural ability, if you take the natural out of the swing you get basic players, tigers natural ability is best in world so have to have combination of fundamentals and ability in his swing i.e butch harmon.

Will tiger ever think to himself its been 2 years of working on a swing and its still not in flow and comfortable and just not working. tiger has been with Foley long enough to get his game in shape and simply hasn't worked. i always looking at him these days know he will have at least one bad day and all these practice rehearsal swings are still part of his shot routine which means he isnt trusting the swing. foley has no answers he plays a guessing game of what could be the next best method. tiger should listen to butch for his long game and go to foley for his chipping. that combination would kill fields. foleys players in majors have awful record and very inconsistent too, tiger needs to be more natural to let out his natural ability, if you take the natural out of the swing you get basic players, tigers natural ability is best in world so have to have combination of fundamentals and ability in his swing i.e butch harmon.

do you remember how good his short game was prior to Foley?

i think his problem is the flat stick . the old dominate tiger used to drop every putt. now he misses 3ft putts consistently

Actually I think the Foley swing is starting to work for Tiger. He needs to work on his Sunday toughness and putting.

I couldn't disagree more. The guy has lead the field in FIR's and GIR's for 3 out of 4 days in the tournaments he has played this year. It is his putting that has killed him on Sundays, not the swing the Foley teaches. The stats back that up:

FIR's
2010: 165th
2011: 186th
2012: 4th

GIR's
2010: 167th
2011: 37th
2012: 25th

Putting (strokes gained)
2010: 109th
2011: 45th
2012: 181st

I get there are two schools of thought when it comes to him changing his swing every X number of years. Some are conservative and see it as messing with a good thing, of if it isn't broke don't fix it. Others more aggressive and see it is striving for perfection or the optimum. I guess I fall into the latter camp and support his desire to change to try be the best he can be. Having said that I totally disagree with his reasoning behind revamping his putting stroke. He said he had to make his putter stroke match his full swing. It think it hurt him badly.

yeah i agree haney his short game was number one, butch his game was number one. hes the bets in world and could play decent with any swing, haney was open face and didnt help him, butch was best as he played powerfull fade he can control and natural doing it plus could play any shot. foley i just think is constantly picking at things to be so called perfect, foley i dislike and think he overhtinks things and needs to look at what the greats in the game did, not take things from all of their swing to make a robot. doesnt work.

I don't dispute that it's been a long two years with SF. But BH couldnt fix what broke with Tiger. It's not his swing it's his mind. He still hits quality shots but no longer can manage his mistakes. That comes from not having a clear head.
Compared to two years ago his game is right were it needs to be to win. His head is another story. He has complete control over his ball. He has never been the straightest hitter of the ball even in '00 and '01. He just managed his game and didnt make these mistakes. And when he did he was able to pull a 25' par save from his arse.
He was about family and that is what kept him grounded, but he was also
about conquest and being the man. Now he is just part of the rank and file living on what used to be. I think he will figure out how to get in done again but he really needs to get mentally strong again.

why do you listen to commentators its not his mind he split up ages ago, hes practising all the time and playing steady schedule whcih he can have free time for kids, its all his swing, 100% his swing. his mind has not changed. dont listen to johnny miller or them idiots, brandel chamblee speaks sence in my opinion about technique with foley.

I'm not a fan of Tiger at all but I think the people bashing him these past few years are going to look pretty foolish 5-7 years from now. The guy has won like 90 tournaments, I don't care if he decides the best way to swing a club is with his feet, I'm not doubting anything he does (golf-wise).

Troll master 101.

Whether someone agrees with the threads or not, its up to the admins and/or mods on this site to deem what is or is not appropriate. If you have a problem with threads, we kindly ask that you click the reported post button or contact a mod, rather than put out posts like this.

I think Tiger played pretty well under Haney.

im not bashing him im bashing his decision in foley and sticking by him, he needs to be old tiger and say it aint working your fired, trump style. i think he will still win a few tourneys and if he drops foley and goes to someone more conventional i think he will be back number one winning multiple majors again, he is most talented player that ever live and is current and young still

Whether it's true or not, he has come out and said he physically can't swing it like he did when he was with Butch. Too much stress on his knee. His swing changes do seem to take a long time, but he seems to be coming around rather nicely. The last 4 tournament he's played he had a chance to win on Sunday.

im not bashing him im bashing his decision in foley and sticking by him, he needs to be old tiger and say it aint working your fired, trump style. i think he will still win a few tourneys and if he drops foley and goes to someone more conventional i think he will be back number one winning multiple majors again, he is most talented player that ever live and is current and young still
Ok maybe I used a bad choice of words. I will re-phrase.I'm not a fan of Tiger at all but I think the people questioning his swing changes these past few years will be proven wrong over the next 5-7 years. The guy has won like 90 tournaments, I don't care if he decides the best way to swing a club is with his feet, I'm not doubting anything he does (golf-wise).

Tigers only problem right now is between the ears. He gets that taken care of and his putting will return. The Foley swing is good

Tiger's problem is that he is not Phil. And he's too sporadic with the putter.

Sent from my forged iPad

Tigers only problem right now is between the ears. He gets that taken care of and his putting will return. The Foley swing is good

snatch and grab baby!

why do you listen to commentators its not his mind he split up ages ago, hes practising all the time and playing steady schedule whcih he can have free time for kids, its all his swing, 100% his swing. his mind has not changed. dont listen to johnny miller or them idiots, brandel chamblee speaks sence in my opinion about technique with foley.

Well all that know me know I don't listen to the JM, NF and BC of the world. There is nothing wrong with Tw's swing, IMO. If you feel there is you should post on his fan page jus that. The simple fact of the matter is that TW is not making those 10' putts anymore. On Sunday he missed 2.5' putts way outside the whole. He speed was off as well as his lines. This is a mental thing, this is an unsure thing. There never a doubt in anyone's mind when he lines up any putt. Hell even when thy would show the line you should take he would take another line and make it.
He is hitting more fairways and has had ample looks at birdies. It's not his swing I hate to tell you. It's not being comfortable with your surroundings. That my friend is mental.

Im curious who this is according to? Im not disputing it mind you, but where have we heard its a good swing? We have heard he cant do the old swing. Im sure its out there, I would just like to read it because Im always curious about this sort of thing.

Im curious who this is according to? Im not disputing it mind you, but where have we heard its a good swing? We have heard he cant do the old swing. Im sure its out there, I would just like to read it because Im always curious about this sort of thing.

Dude, Charlie Rymer said it so you know it's got to be true

Well all that know me know I don't listen to the JM, NF and BC of the world. There is nothing wrong with Tw's swing, IMO. If you feel there is you should post on his fan page jus that. The simple fact of the matter is that TW is not making those 10' putts anymore. On Sunday he missed 2.5' putts way outside the whole. He speed was off as well as his lines. This is a mental thing, this is an unsure thing. There never a doubt in anyone's mind when he lines up any putt. Hell even when thy would show the line you should take he would take another line and make it.
He is hitting more fairways and has had ample looks at birdies. It's not his swing I hate to tell you. It's not being comfortable with your surroundings. That my friend is mental.

Agreed Tad. He is really swinging well from what I saw. flowing nicely now. that got dang putter. He needs an SS9 from Bettinardi.

Ahem, don't you mean Sir NF?? :D

Well said Freddie, I 100% agree.

Back