sure. I get all that. But there is a decent amount of property damage here. That is my thought and there is a bit of history.

But again. I freely admit to not know standard procedure here.. just spit balling what would make sense to me if it was done and why..
property damage is why we carry insurance. I'd hate to be judged by my worst and or weakest moment.

property damage is why we carry insurance. I'd hate to be judged by my worst and or weakest moment.

See I agree with this completely and hate to rush to judgement.

With that said, I think its pretty much human nature. Say 3 days in a row, I am pulling out of my drive way and hit my mailbox because I was reading the THP Forum. On the 4th day, when I hit the mailbox again, most would assume it was for the same reasons as the prior 3. It would take me explaining that it wasn't to change some minds.

Right or wrong, I think a lot of people get that aspect of it.

Skim alert - So is there a consensus that the GV80 did well in the crash or not? New vehicle and I as a Genesis G80 owner want to see real life data on that. The most I have read is that of course the outside of the car looks awful but the inside was intact.

With that said, I think its pretty much human nature. Say 3 days in a row, I am pulling out of my drive way and hit my mailbox because I was reading the THP Forum. On the 4th day, when I hit the mailbox again, most would assume it was for the same reasons as the prior 3. It would take me explaining that it wasn't to change some minds.

LOL! The people that's judgmental and don't have your best interest at heart will think that your a bad driver or under the influence all the time. Your loving friend and people that care for you will simply think that you have your mailbox in the wrong place. You won't be able change eithers mind no matter what....

At this point it almost sounds more like a texting while driving accident.
I would be kinda surprised if that was the case, with apple/android car play you don't need to type out texts and your phone pairs pretty much instantly when you plug it in. There is literally no reason to pick up your phone in new cars anymore. It's glorious and much safer.

I would be kinda surprised if that was the case, with apple/android car play you don't need to type out texts and your phone pairs pretty much instantly when you plug it in. There is literally no reason to pick up your phone in new cars anymore. It's glorious and much safer.

Yet as posted 1 in 4 car crashes is because of distracted driving related to phones. it was not his car so he may not have wanted to take the time to set it all up. Who knows. we are all guessing.. Something distracted him for sure..

1) life and family come first
2) with his body already and all the surgeries he's gone through, he just recently had back surgery, now his leg broke in multiple places, bone out of skin and a rod in place, shattered ankle with pins and screws, again back surgery recently which this accident id assume screwed that up, i cant imagine him ever playing again, let alone walking very well? idk..
I am a physician trained in sportsmedicine and with all the incredible advances of surgery and especially in rehab therapy I would not rule anything out as far as future prognosis - Alex Smith started at QB after 17 surgeries. Tiger was fortunate as well to go to one of the very best trauma centers in CA IMO and I expect he is getting the very best of care. Much too early IMO to make any predictions and this man certainly also has very strong will.

Last edited:

On the 4th day, I would assume that you read one of my knee-slappers of a post and were laughing so hard you didn't see the mailbox, but then again I would have assumed that on days 1 through 3 as well.

Skim alert - So is there a consensus that the GV80 did well in the crash or not? New vehicle and I as a Genesis G80 owner want to see real life data on that. The most I have read is that of course the outside of the car looks awful but the inside was intact.
That's why they do all those crash test and strategically place air bags in the vehicles. So the occupant can receive a second chance. Well done Genesis.

The collision piece is one of the reasons I trust my F150s over and over. They have breakaway motor mounts, so the engine will br pushed downward in the event of a front end collision, instead of in your lap.
Hyundai's have this too. I'm sure that there are scenarios though that can prevent it from being able to drop all the time though.

Yet as posted 1 in 4 car crashes is because of distracted driving related to phones. it was not his car so he may not have wanted to take the time to set it all up. Who knows. we are all guessing.. Something distracted him for sure..
I get that and assume that is because older cars don't have that, as far as set up, you just plug your phone into the usb port so if he had wanted to use it (He may have chosen not to) it is not a difficult or time consuming process.

On the 4th day, I would assume that you read one of my knee-slappers of a post and were laughing so hard you didn't see the mailbox, but then again I would have assumed that on days 1 through 3 as well.

If there’s one thing that brings a smile to my face, it is indeed Silly Dilly

I get that and assume that is because older cars don't have that, as far as set up, you just plug your phone into the usb port so if he had wanted to use it (He may have chosen not to) it is not a difficult or time consuming process.

I know its not. I have it in my car. Yet, there are times that I do not plug. and still text from my phone.. Just being honest.. There are apps etc that are also not compatible with hands free. Maybe he was trying to check in for a flight? Yes, I know he probably owns his own plane but you get my point. Easily could have been distracted by his phone.

You say nobody's fault but his own, but that's the exact opposite of what occurs in an accident. That's literally why it's called an "accident." I'm sure the investigation is underway, but there's a million different reasons that may have caused him to lose control.
Actually, from a legal perspective, fault is often attributed to one or more parties in an accident. There are intentional acts and unintentional acts. An accident is an unintentional act. However, they often are caused by negligent behavior. If a party is negligent, i.e., speeding, runs a stop sign, etc., and that negligence results in an injury or damage, the negligent party is culpable. Most personal injury lawyers are pursuing claims arising out of accidental, but negligent behavior.

Here, it is almost certain that Tiger was negligent. He either was inattentive, speeding or lacking capacity to be behind the wheel. There were no weather conditions or other intervening causes that we are aware of that would have been the direct and proximate cause of the rollover. Luckily, nobody else was injured. If they had been, it is almost certain that they would have had a claim for negligence against Tiger and the damage would be his “fault,” at least to some degree.

aluminum over steel?
fords are all aluminum, others have some bolt on aluminum.
Aluminum has better absorption of impact energy than steel. As high as twice as much in some applications. The body will take the brunt of the impact. Downside is, the body takes more damage in all impact scenarios, not just violent collisions.

Aluminum has better absorption of impact energy than steel. As high as twice as much in some applications. The body will take the brunt of the impact. Downside is, the body takes more damage in all impact scenarios, not just violent collisions.
I wouldn't want to roll in aluminum.

I don't think I'd ever seen the word "comminuted" before reading the doctor's statement. Seeing the phrase "permanently stiff" accompanying one description of the aftermath of such an injury is disconcerting.
Unfortunately I've heard this quite a bit. It's never good.

I know its not. I have it in my car. Yet, there are times that I do not plug. and still text from my phone.. Just being honest.. There are apps etc that are also not compatible with hands free. Maybe he was trying to check in for a flight? Yes, I know he probably owns his own plane but you get my point. Easily could have been distracted by his phone.
Very fair, and really there's no telling what he was doing or why.

Coming into the turn too fast, overcorrecting, hitting the median. Median impact causes airbags to deploy, obscuring vision for even the half a second it's a full bag. Driver flinches, hits gas pedal by mistake, goes for a tumble down a hill.
Accident reconstruction will tell a lot. It seems high rate of speed is a given. From the pictures it looks like he took out a sign with the name of the community he was entering. I would be curious to know say a couple miles preceding the area with the median he crossed over in what type of roadway was it. Was it a divided highway where people would tend to go faster or speed without worry of traffic or pedestrians or animals for that matter. I know from experience sometimes leaving one speed zone for another it might take time to recognize and process the information and slow down.. I dont know the exact formula off the top of my head but it takes a period of time for the mind to process what the eyes are seeing as well as then reacting. Say he was going 70 mph or more in an area and on road he was not familiar with or possibly had never traveled and this is the first time he has ever been in that area . You cover a lot of ground at a high rate of speed. Also they say it was a rollover but looking at the front end damage im guessing it had to be from striking something and then going into the rollover . I think your description is a pretty good theory on what might have happened. Ultimately would like to hear from Tiger what happened did something enter his path was he trying to take evasive action or was he simply distracted for a second. At a high rate of speed thats all it would take . Whatever just an awful situation.

Actually, from a legal perspective, fault is often attributed to one or more parties in an accident. There are intentional acts and unintentional acts. An accident is an unintentional act. However, they often are caused by negligent behavior. If a party is negligent, i.e., speeding, runs a stop sign, etc., and that negligence results in an injury or damage, the negligent party is culpable. Most personal injury lawyers are pursuing claims arising out of accidental, but negligent behavior.

Here, it is almost certain that Tiger was negligent. He either was inattentive, speeding or lacking capacity to be behind the wheel. There were no weather conditions or other intervening causes that we are aware of that would have been the direct and proximate cause of the rollover. Luckily, nobody else was injured. If they had been, it is almost certain that they would have had a claim for negligence against Tiger and the damage would be his “fault,” at least to some degree.
I thought I read somewhere there was fog? Heavy fog is pretty typical on the Pacific at 7 AM when this happened.

I wouldn't want to roll in aluminum.

This a total tangent, but its not the material that is inherently good or bad. It's how the component are designed, and function together to make a crush protection system and safety cage around the driver. F150 gets 5 start crash ratings. Chevy uses plenty of aluminum too, though they play a good game of talking dpwn aluminum.

The material wars are played up by both sides as one being better than another. Truth is how you use those materials is what counts. Crash test results are a better output measure for judging crash worthiness than mythology.

Abrupt loss of braking ability in the car is Tiger's only 100% excuse.

Abrupt loss of braking ability in the car is Tiger's only 100% excuse.
I mean part of a plane engine ended up in someone’s front yard recently. Crazy things happen.
1614189787233.jpeg

Back