That car must have a good roll cage. The front passenger door still works.

I dont think theres anyway the vehicle rolled...................It has a glass roof / massive glass sunroof

I'm not suggesting, but just saying that most if not all majors may be in jeopardy of him missing....
It he plays a major this year, it surely would be a miracle. I just hope that he is able to lead a normal life and be there for his kids, even if he never plays a competitive round again.

The front end is smashed in so far that the rear of the engine would be in the front seat. Not good for legs. His back is now the least of his worries.

I would recommend not getting hung up on if "jaws" were used or not. They are an extension of patient care only, and typically do not correlate to a bad accident or not.

Jaws of life is a trademarked sales slogan used by Hurst Rescue tools. There are no such things as jaws. There are spreaders, cutters, rams, and combo spreaders cutters.

Extrication is the most common form of technical rescue. They are used everyday from anything from a simple door pop to industrial accidents and heavy equipment. These can occur with or without injuries.

Use of these tools are dictated by conditions, not by injuries.

These are hydraulic or battery powered, most commonly.

Although we typically correlate use of extrication equipment with very bad accidents or injuries, its not necessarily true.

I will say that LAFD is highly proficient with such tools and rescue company operations, so whatever they did was most likely correct.

I am an SME and have taught Extrication all over the country, as well as having been in special operations for 15 years now.

Just food for thought; I figured I'd offer my knowledge of the subject for us golfers. We already know I don't have the golf knowledge to offer....

I’m no expert, but I believe Alex Smith had some life-threatening complications from his compound fracture.
James Hinchcliffe would like to join the conversation as well.

Jeez, even this tiger horrific incident is used by people to take shots at media.
lol, proven right by next post👇🏽

Last edited:
every media outlet telling us Tiger was RUSHED to hospital -- is there any other speed when an ambulance goes from an accident to a hospital?

I would recommend not getting hung up on if "jaws" were used or not. They are an extension of patient care only, and typically do not correlate to a bad accident or not.

Jaws of life is a trademarked sales slogan used by Hurst Rescue tools. There are no such things as jaws. There are spreaders, cutters, rams, and combo spreaders cutters.

Extrication is the most common form of technical rescue. They are used everyday from anything from a simple door pop to industrial accidents and heavy equipment. These can occur with or without injuries.

Although we typically correlate use of extrication equipment with very bad accidents or injuries, its not necessarily true.

I will say that LAFD is highly proficient with such tools and rescue company operations, so whatever they did was most likely correct.

I am an SME and have taught Extrication all over the country, as well as having been in special operations for 15 years now.

Just food for thought; I figured I'd offer my knowledge of the subject for us golfers. We already know I don't have the golf knowledge to offer....
I was hoping you would chime in. I saw them used once for my brother, after a horrific car accident. It was very interesting to watch, given that we have all heard or used the ominous phrase, “jaws of life.”

Hopefully Tiger can recover and have a pain free life. I would be surprised to see him play another Professional event. I hope he does.

Thank you for this as someone that deals with it for a living

Hopefully Tiger can recover and have a pain free life. I would be surprised to see him play another Professional event. I hope he does.

I'm with you. Hard to tell exactly what they did surgery on but sounds like the kind of thing average people recover from with some limitations. Make it a 45 year old golfer struggling with other issues and does not sound promising.

Darn rubber-neckers caused another collision.

Appreciate the information, it is enlightening.

They don't really need the chopper view flying over the transport of his car like it's reliving the OJ chase.

Now they saw that the "jaws of life" were not used according to the Sheriff. Love the media!

I think the pain free life is a horse far out of the barn door. As somebody who has had some back injuries, it is something I feel every single day and what I have gone through pales in comparison to five surgeries for Tiger.

Now they saw that the "jaws of life" were not used according to the Sheriff. Love the media!
It's really irrelevant. I've seen the jaws used on a simple fender bender because the door couldn't be opened. It doesn't change the story or the severity of the accident.

Good to hear there was no evidence of impairment.

It's really irrelevant. I've seen the jaws used on a simple fender bender because the door couldn't be opened. It doesn't change the story or the severity of the accident.
The sherrif said they used an extrication device, so that could lead to the confusion, but hey, any chance to take a shot at the “media”

How about this scenario.

So Tiger is driving a rental? car, not familiar with it ... and turns his head with a curve approaching ... or reaches down and ...:sick:

It he plays a major this year, it surely would be a miracle. I just hope that he is able to lead a normal life and be there for his kids, even if he never plays a competitive round again.
That's where I am at this point. His back is jacked which means he was already going to be living with pain the rest of his life. This has the chance to add to that. Quality of life is on the line at this point. That means more than any major.

The helicopter following the wrecker for miles. Who the hell finds that interesting. What a circus, guess people love it ?

Back