i really don't see him playing competitive golf ever again. he is already 45 and has had numerous injuries and surgeries. if he was in any other major sport we would label him as injury prone. sure he will play in some rounds but highly doubt he will ever really compete again.

thank god he didn't kill anyone

I am a sportsmedicine trained doctor and too early to tell. Alex Smith is playing QB after 18 surgeries and others have come back and Woods is an athlete with very strong will and access to the best of care. He was treated at a top tier trauma center. Don’t bet against him IMO.

Then I doubt that hitting a curb would have caused a flip at low speed.
Well if he saw the curb and was trying to correct it he hit it with it loaded on the left side in an SUV so honestly you can flop it easily going the speed limit. Adding in the steepness of the hill he could have started at the top at the speed limit and gained a bunch even with his foot off the gas.

Apparently Tiger has zero recollection of the accident

Well if he saw the curb and was trying to correct it he hit it with it loaded on the left side in an SUV so honestly you can flop it easily going the speed limit. Adding in the steepness of the hill he could have started at the top at the speed limit and gained a bunch even with his foot off the gas.

I believe the Sheriff said it appeared the vehicle was traveling at high speed.

All I know, and we all know, is that **** happens. We will find out eventually. I can wait.

It's terrible that this occurred, especially as Tiger was rounding out as a good human and we started to appreciate him in that way, as well as a great golfer.

I am a sportsmedicine trained doctor and too early to tell. Alex Smith is playing QB after 18 surgeries and others have come back and Woods is an athlete with very strong will and access to the best of care. He was treated at a top tier trauma center. Don’t bet against him IMO.

I have to believe the Hogan accident of so long ago and given much lesser technology was worse and he overcame. So I'm not placing any bets against him

Hogan was also 9 years younger than Tiger and didn't have to hit Driver 3 hundy plus to keep up with the big boys. Plus, the one good leg he had left is now shattered! I pray that I'm wrong, but this could be the end of the road.

If I'm Steinberg and see him like he was on the broadcast on Sunday I am assigning him a driver for the rest of the LA stint. I don't think he was on anything either but just based on how tired he looked that's not a good state to drive a car in, especially with hilly terrain and streets he doesn't daily drive on. The man looked like he needed a week of non-stop sleep. It's just difficult to not connect the accident with his look on Sunday. For him I almost hope this takes him out of competitive golf, he can concentrate on the rest of his life after that and not be in this insane pressure cooker.

While I think what you say is a prudent course, if Tiger wanted to drive himself, then Steinberg stood little to no chance of convincing him to have a driver.

An interesting article.
Reading the article it is obvious the writer dislikes or possibly even hates Tiger. He goes so far as to reference Tigers father getting a contract while Tiger was an amateur like it has something to do with this accident. Notably absent from this journalists article is any reference to this stretch of road , its condition and as some have posted a spot at least to those familiar with it knew it to be hazardous and potentially dangerous. This journalist also states as if its a fact that “ leaving no skid marks to indicate that he applied his breaks, then rolled up an embankment” falsely claiming as fact that he never applied or tried to apply his breaks. I doubt this journalist is a certified accident reconstruction expert but i would think at the very least he would have consulted one before claiming as fact things he knows nothing about. The simple fact he claims Tiger without applying his brakes “ rolled up an embankment” when everything i have seen talks about the severity of the downhill slope of the road including the embankment has a significant drop think i read somewhere up to 300 feet ( to the point those truck ramps you see on hilly roads were installed ) shows he is clueless .I dont know all the facts but there is enough present to give rise to a variety of explanations including his speed coupled with his unfamiliarity with the road which in and by itself could cause vehicle to increase speed as it went downhill coupled with a one or two second distraction which could have come in any form leading to this accident. How many can honestly say they have never exceeded the posted speed limit, never dropped something and reached for it ,never been distracted by a phone or something. A second or two distraction could lead to an accident. How many have never caught themselves swerving or not seeing something you should have seen until the last second and then had a near miss. None of that would make someone a bad person because these things do happen. I have no problem with people discussing and having theories. I have no problem with anyone posting thoughts and theories here. I do have a problem with a “journalist” in a national worldwide read publication writing things like this person did, stating not as possibilities but as fact things they were wrong about , know nothing about and obviously did absolutely nothing to get a full picture of the facts. I dont know exactly what happened that day or what the cause or multiple causes or contributing factors were and hopefully we will ger a clearer picture from the experts , the contents of the vehicles computer that stores information and a full and complete accident reconstruction As im sure you can tell i think what that “ journalist” did was unfair and it bothers me.

Reading the article it is obvious the writer dislikes or possibly even hates Tiger. He goes so far as to reference Tigers father getting a contract while Tiger was an amateur like it has something to do with this accident. Notably absent from this journalists article is any reference to this stretch of road , its condition and as some have posted a spot at least to those familiar with it knew it to be hazardous and potentially dangerous. This journalist also states as if its a fact that “ leaving no skid marks to indicate that he applied his breaks, then rolled up an embankment” falsely claiming as fact that he never applied or tried to apply his breaks. I doubt this journalist is a certified accident reconstruction expert but i would think at the very least he would have consulted one before claiming as fact things he knows nothing about. The simple fact he claims Tiger without applying his brakes “ rolled up an embankment” when everything i have seen talks about the severity of the downhill slope of the road including the embankment has a significant drop think i read somewhere up to 300 feet ( to the point those truck ramps you see on hilly roads were installed ) shows he is clueless .I dont know all the facts but there is enough present to give rise to a variety of explanations including his speed coupled with his unfamiliarity with the road which in and by itself could cause vehicle to increase speed as it went downhill coupled with a one or two second distraction which could have come in any form leading to this accident. How many can honestly say they have never exceeded the posted speed limit, never dropped something and reached for it ,never been distracted by a phone or something. A second or two distraction could lead to an accident. How many have never caught themselves swerving or not seeing something you should have seen until the last second and then had a near miss. None of that would make someone a bad person because these things do happen. I have no problem with people discussing and having theories. I have no problem with anyone posting thoughts and theories here. I do have a problem with a “journalist” in a national worldwide read publication writing things like this person did, stating not as possibilities but as fact things they were wrong about , know nothing about and obviously did absolutely nothing to get a full picture of the facts. I dont know exactly what happened that day or what the cause or multiple causes or contributing factors were and hopefully we will ger a clearer picture from the experts , the contents of the vehicles computer that stores information and a full and complete accident reconstruction As im sure you can tell i think what that “ journalist” did was unfair and it bothers me.

As someone with some familiarity with the newspaper in question (it does have a very good sports section), this is who and what the reporter is.

We will never know what really happened or if Tiger was impaired. He might just be a crappy driver like my buddies wife who had 14 accidents in 9 years.

Still, nobody should be surprised that the rich, connected, and famous(whether they are actors, athletes, business icons, politicians, or just wealthy) are often treated differently and often get cut a lot more slack than the rest of us. This is not something recent and, in fact, has been going on since the beginning of humanity. Life is not fair. :)

If he was impaired I hope he gets help or a least starts driving a Tesla with self-driving mode engaged. I'd be afraid to be his passenger with his track record. :)

no clue what really happened here but in this case it is what I call a self inflicted wound; be it accident or wreck. Very lucky he did not hurt someone for sure. I hope he recovers quickly and he is a legend in golf forever.

I'm the father of 3 and I share with my kids periodically my thoughts on probability. Basically if you do high risk stuff often enough sometimes you are on the short end of the outcome. I've done a bunch of stupid stuff in my life and just lucky enough not to have my number called (yet)

We will never know what really happened or if Tiger was impaired. He might just be a crappy driver like my buddies wife who had 14 accidents in 9 years.

Still, nobody should be surprised that the rich, connected, and famous(whether they are actors, athletes, business icons, politicians, or just wealthy) are often treated differently and often get cut a lot more slack than the rest of us. This is not something recent and, in fact, has been going on since the beginning of humanity. Life is not fair. :)

If he was impaired I hope he gets help or a least starts driving a Tesla with self-driving mode engaged. I'd be afraid to be his passenger with his track record. :)

Like Bruce Springsteen getting out of his DUI here. He refused the breathalyzer, which in NJ is an automatic admission of guilt .. pretty sure he got the charges dropped all together

I read the NY Post article last night. I'm not a Tiger fan in the least (to put it mildly), and even I thought that article was an over-the-top hit piece by a journalistic hack with an axe to grind.

Like Bruce Springsteen getting out of his DUI here. He refused the breathalyzer, which in NJ is an automatic admission of guilt .. pretty sure he got the charges dropped all together
I read an article that says he was .02 on the breathalyzer. In NY the limit which used to be .10 is now . 08. If the article was correct .02 is nothing. When it was .10 i used to be able to get plea deals to traffic infractions for people who blew .09 or lower. Dont know the particulars of the case and when i heard it was dismissed i thought that sounded strange when i read the breathalyzer was.02 i understood ( if the article was accurate) . If the breathalyzer was also administered before charges were filed ( which typically is the case) unless there is a refusal not sure why he was originally charged with driving while intoxicated. And he apparently plead guilty to a minor violation which im guessing is the standard offer in cases like his.

I read an article that says he was .02 on the breathalyzer. In NY the limit which used to be .10 is now . 08. If the article was correct .02 is nothing. When it was .10 i used to be able to get plea deals to traffic infractions for people who blew .09 or lower. Dont know the particulars of the case and when i heard it was dismissed i thought that sounded strange when i read the breathalyzer was.02 i understood ( if the article was accurate) . If the breathalyzer was also administered before charges were filed ( which typically is the case) unless there is a refusal not sure why he was originally charged with driving while intoxicated. And he apparently plead guilty to a minor violation which im guessing is the standard offer in cases like his.
He refused and they drew blood. Sounds like an over zealous officer plus an entitled celebrity led to a lot of wasted time and money.

Yeah I honestly didn't read the specifics on it (before now), but it also depends on when they drew the blood compared to his time of driving .. if it was .02 I agree thats nothing and well below the .08 limit, but supposedly he took 2 shots just before getting on his motorcycle..

either way, at my various jobs I have had people who were convicted with less than .08 (but never as low as .02), but there could have been other circumstances like an accident involved

Does Tiger get to 83 now? It sounds like the injury is pretty bad.

Amazing he is sitting right next to Snead, and just might not break it..

Yeah I honestly didn't read the specifics on it (before now), but it also depends on when they drew the blood compared to his time of driving .. if it was .02 I agree thats nothing and well below the .08 limit, but supposedly he took 2 shots just before getting on his motorcycle..

either way, at my various jobs I have had people who were convicted with less than .08 (but never as low as .02), but there could have been other circumstances like an accident involved
Totally agree just a very strange situation. I havent done a DWI in years ( dont do criminal anymore) but im not surprised that people get convicted at .08 or less because i know municipalities are much tougher on these now. And if he did refuse the breath test i understand why the original charges were filed. Lol im sure there are some current or former law enforcement officers here who will say what i have heard from many officers over the years “ everyone says they only had two or a couple drinks”

Totally agree just a very strange situation. I havent done a DWI in years ( dont do criminal anymore) but im not surprised that people get convicted at .08 or less because i know municipalities are much tougher on these now. And if he did refuse the breath test i understand why the original charges were filed. Lol im sure there are some current or former law enforcement officers here who will say what i have heard from many officers over the years “ everyone says they only had two or a couple drinks”
In California, there were two DUI sections - 23152(a)CVC prohibits driving while under the influence, 23152(b) VC prohibits driving with a BAC of 0.08% or greater. If impairment was proven, you could get a filing on the (a) section even when the BAC was below .08%.

And yeah, the standard answer was “Two beers”. And the response was often “Those must have been some pretty big frikkin’ beers!” 😆

Back