Tiger Woods on the Distance Debate

He better work on his wedge game then. It’s not as good as it should be for a guy who has a lot of them into greens. 119th in SG approach to green, 111th SG around the greens.. that’s not so bueno.
Is kind of shocking that he's 63rd in GIR's and 151st in proximity to the hole. If he gets that figured out then they are going to be in trouble.

This is why Null "I just play golf for fun" Nomad doesn't really keep the screws of the rules to my round. I'm playing golf. If they bifurcate the rules, then it's the PGA one step closer to the rest of the major sports. Like MLB only being allowed to use wood bats vs the minors or its a catch in college with one foot down but in the NFL it's not...

i can see winning a few tournaments maybe 2 a year but you think hes going to win more than 3-4 majors?

Yes. His stats this year say he will be a force on tour unless something changes.
9 top 10s in a shortened year (more than everybody not named JT, who bested him by 1) and it would have most likely been more if we didnt have a shut down and restart.

And he did that with below average approach. If that goes up even a tiny bit, he should win way more than people think and will without a shadow of a doubt be number one in the world.

He's only 27 years old.
I am stumped that people think he will only win 2-3 more majors in 15+ years on tour.

Is kind of shocking that he's 63rd in GIR's and 151st in proximity to the hole. If he gets that figured out then they are going to be in trouble.

Maybe, maybe not. Only so many hours in a day, focus on one, lose skill in the other.

I agree with this Tiger quote that in practice it is tough to do.

"I just don’t see how they can roll everything back. I would like to be able to see that, as far as our game, but then we go back down the road of what do you bifurcate, at what level?”

In practice, it's tough to change the rules and equipment for the top 200 golfers in the world when the long hitters would still have a distance advantage. Longer, wetter fairways that are mowed from the green to the tee would take care of shortening all the golfers but the distance advantage still remains for the bombers.

Distance is always an advantage but golf and going low is much more complicated than just being the longest off the tee. Of the top 20 in driving distance on the PGA Tour last year only Bryson, Rory, Dustin, Finau, and Scottie Scheffler finished in the top 20 in scoring average.

It's up to course architects and tournament officials to set up pro tournaments in a way that challenges all players equally.

Emphasis mine.

Why is an equal challenge for all players a part of the game, especially the pro game?

Maybe, maybe not. Only so many hours in a day, focus on one, lose skill in the other.
Well, I guess as long as he maintains his 1st in tee to green then not much really does need to change.

I think golf is bifurcated to the extent that so many Pros are so far above good Ams, that the game is different for Pros. So much talent out there - when Tiger was at his peak for 10 yrs, it was Tiger and really no one else near him in terms of consistency. Now, you have a herd of inconsistency at the top.

Bryson? Hot now, Wedges? Putting is up 'n down like most. Temperament is questionable, Major wins in a usual year would mean a letdown due to private exhibitions - but it's Covid, so I wonder about the extent of those private money offers this year.

I think the heard at the top is so numerous in talent that if Bryson has a hot year, someone will soon dethrone him and put his ego back where it belongs. But he is a hard worker - Tiger-like in that regard so who knows other than he is and will remain a major player. When you're hitting LW into Par 4s, that's an advantage. lol. But the field usually catches up these days due to the number of great athletes.

Distance? Keep the clubs as is and maybe have a tour ball so the Tour doesn't have to buy more land to extend hole yardage on courses. :) Or make more courses like Colonial but tougher.

Emphasis mine.

Why is an equal challenge for all players a part of the game, especially the pro game?

Im trying to figure that out too? Why is distance not an advantage?
Next the NBA will raise hoops for taller guys and if a home run hitter comes to bat, we move the fences back?

Emphasis mine.

Inequality in playing conditions from one golfer to the next, especially during morning waves and afternoon waves, is a part of the game. No concerns there.

Where things get tricky is when the equipment differs so widely from one player to the next.

Well, I guess as long as he maintains his 1st in tee to green then not much really does need to change.

I think if the powers that be actually paid attention, they’d notice that you can’t build a course that’s too long for these guys. You build it longer, they just swing harder. You firm up the greens and make them like lightning, they just aim front edge and deal with the bounces, which they’re pretty good at figuring out.

Take some chase out of the fairways, they won’t hit it as far. Change where you put the pins, scores won’t be as low. Muirfield was the perfect example. Exact same course, two way different scores. Funny how course setup can dictate how low these guys can go..

Bryson has all but solidified the reality that distance (at some level) can be learned. If I had to draw a direct comparison, I would think the distance potential of a short hitter is no different than the short game potential of a guy with rocks for hands.

What I find most concerning, is what has already been clearly stated; Golf has shown individuals introducing significant distance numbers for years, yet hasn't lost their mind over it until one player managed to do it in a way that does not conform to normal conditions.

I guess I don't understand why we think it's ok to punish players for getting more physically fit and putting in a boatload of time working on their game? Has equipment advanced? Absolutely. But Bryson is putting in a crazy amount of work to be as successful as possible and I don't think someone should be punished for that.

Also, if they roll the equipment back the guys that are longer now are still going to be longer than everyone else and have that advantage. Sure maybe the score at the end of the tournament will be -8 instead of -12 but they're still going to have that advantage.

I think the answer is to get creative with course setup and design.

Where things get tricky is when the equipment differs so widely from one player to the next.
This comment has my head spinning on what is 'possible' from a tour perspective.

Should they force all players to use blades that have same specs and weight?
Should different wedge grinds become illegal?
Only one flex or limit the stiffness of shaft flex?
One grip size?
8802 putter shapes only?

He better work on his wedge game then. It’s not as good as it should be for a guy who has a lot of them into greens. 119th in SG approach to green, 111th SG around the greens.. that’s not so bueno.

Sir Nick can fix any issues with his wedges.

I dont think this is where you are going, but is the suggestion that everyone play the same equipment where this argument leads?

I think Tiger did a great job not going out of his way to make a statement of position (which is common).

It was really tough...

Can you explain that? Every club has to be conforming to the USGA specs.

Yes. His stats this year say he will be a force on tour unless something changes.
9 top 10s in a shortened year (more than everybody not named JT, who bested him by 1) and it would have most likely been more if we didnt have a shut down and restart.

And he did that with below average approach. If that goes up even a tiny bit, he should win way more than people think and will without a shadow of a doubt be number one in the world.

He's only 27 years old.
I am stumped that people think he will only win 2-3 more majors in 15+ years on tour.
i dont like him thats why, unless hes in joggers, hoodie and a trucker hat!

I think Tiger did a great job not going out of his way to make a statement of position (which is common).

Have to love the non-answer answer.

Inequality in playing conditions from one golfer to the next, especially during morning waves and afternoon waves, is a part of the game. No concerns there.

I guess that part confuses me. Doesn't every player have access to the exact same equipment if they choose?

I guess I don't understand why we think it's ok to punish players for getting more physically fit and putting in a boatload of time working on their game? Has equipment advanced? Absolutely. But Bryson is putting in a crazy amount of work to be as successful as possible and I don't think someone should be punished for that.
I'm with you here. There was some rumblings about distance being an issue prior to Bryson getting all beefcaked out, but the escalation of concern has definitely amplified over the last couple months. In every other sport, players are celebrated for putting that kind of insane effort into their craft.

In Golf? It seems to be problematic.

Back