Tim Tebow: Are you fan or foe?

Tim Tebow: Are you fan or foe?

• fan

Votes: 84 81.6%
  • foe

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters
I didn't think he had a CHANCE to be a successful NFL QB, but I have to hand it to him, he's getitng it done. Of course, I dodn't think Newton would cut it either and he is.

So. This is all fine blah blah. JB and whoever else wants to answer. Do you build your team this off season around Tebow? Are you all in?

I am a big time football fan, so I find questions like this extremely interesting. I actually do respect Tebow a ton. He reminds me of one of my favorite college basketball players of all time. I am a huge Tar Heels fan (used to live just outside of Chapel Hill), and I can't help but see some Tyler Hansbrough in Tebow. Give 1,000% effort all the time, supposedly are beasts in the gym, great leaders, and not the most physically talented men in their sports, or even on their own teams.

However - Tebow, like Hansbrough, dominated the college sport. I beleive Tebow, similar to Hansbrough, can be somewhat successful at the Pro level. I think he can win you games with his hard work and tremendous leadership. I wouldn't want to build a team around him though- for the only reason being I don't think he is talented enough of a passer of the ball to win games by himself consistently. There comes a point in the season, where you need to be able to rely soley on your quarterback to win you a game(*** see below as this may not always be the case). And so far Tebow has been phenomenal in that sense. I just think defenses will adjust, and he will begin to be less effective. Although - with hard work he can change and make himself into a great thrower of the ball. I have learned not to bet against him (seriously... he's hurt my wallet in the past...)

I guess what I am saying is that I think you can't go wrong with building a team around a great teammate, hard worker, and awesome leader. But I prefer a QB that has a little bit of all three... and an awesome arm. So basically, Aaron Rodgers?... haha!

Please note - it's extremely hard speaking highly of Tebow seeing as though he may be partly responsible for my Jets not making the playoffs. Fresh wound.... This was a difficult post, ha!

*** there have been some championship teams that have been successful witha game manager at QB, great running games and awesome defenses. Baltimore for sure and maybe the Giants (less so becasue of Eli's incredible playoff run actually)/Tampa Bay recently (within the last 10-15 years or so) come to mind.***

Wasn't a fan at Florida just because I dislike Florida. Big fan of him now. Great role model for my son.

Love the guy. He is everything that is right with sports.
I agree. He doesn't get arrested. He doesn't drink, do drugs, do inane celebrations, play dirty, beat his girlfriend. He prays. Oh my.

What's not to like? I'm a fan. He's not my favorite by a long shot, but what little I've seen on TV he seems to be an exciting player capable of highs and lows....kinda like Favre.

I am becoming more of a fan each day- I've always respected the guy even when his Florida Gators beat up on our Tigers! I think all the negativity about his "lack of NFL skills" just makes me root for him even more.

I am a fan. Seems like a nice standup guy, I dont get the wrath he seems to inspire.

i'm really not partial to one side or another, but i voted fan in the poll cuz the guy finds ways to win and he's good for the game overall.
so what he's not a great passing QB, he's a fantastic rushing QB and obviously today's NFL Defenses haven't figured out how to contain that (ie. see Cam Newton)
but Tebow finds these magical ways to get these come-from-behind victories and inspires his team to win.
a lot of the game winning points have been Prater's though, lest we forget to give him props as well.

I disliked him in college, but the more people root against him, the more I pull for him. He just seems like a great, genuine person.

Possibly because Tebow plays for the Broncos. A bronco is a horse.

Kevin

Haha sometimes the obvious is too obvious

It may not be flashy, but in the NFL a win is a win. And right NOW he's winning!!!

I'm going to be in the foe category (FSU alum). He seems to always get credit for things his team does and he seems to always have things go his way (that normally don't turn out they way they do.

Examples:

Starting in college
1. He is always credited for winning 2 National Championships. He was on the 2006 team but played so few plays I wouldn't exactly say he was an intrical part of the win.

2. He is heralded as one of the greatest of all time...why? Sure he was good and won a lot but here's an example to understand the point I'm making-He was the starter for 3 years, he won 1 Heisman, he won 1 NC, he took his team to the title game once, he put up great #'s. CHRIS WEINKE (yes i just said it) was the starter for 3 years, he won 1 Heisman, he won 1 NC, he put up great #'s, but heres the thing...the took his team to the title game ALL 3 YEARS HE STARTED.

3. Lucky...he shouldn't have even gotten into the 2008 title game. He lost to an unranked Ole Miss @ home. Texas lost to #7 Texas Tech on the road. Texas was #2 at the end and UF jumped them on a bye week for them to get into the title game because apparently no one wanted a rematch of Texas/OK (who Texas beat btw)

Onto the pros

4. He gets lucky to be a 1st rounder...thanks to an idiotic coach in McDaniels. No other coach in their right mind would've picked him but alas he's a 1st rounder

5. This year...he gets a "home game" against the dolphins to celebrate a BS NC he never should've even been in. Its to celebrate (on UM's home field no less) a title that UF won multiple years ago?

6. He put up pathetic #'s against the DOLPHINS and squeaks out a victory because of 2 beyond lucky plays. The chances of recovering an onside kick are 14% (not real high)...his team recovers. Then his defense forces a fumble and he gets a winning field goal. He gets the miracle credit.

7. Detroit (a real team) exposed him.

8. Oakland he gets credit get when Willis Mcghaee and his punt returner bail him out...he's deemed a miracle worker

9. NYJ...his defense puts up a pick 6 to keep him in the game. He sucked the whole game and put together 1 drive over the whole game and he (not his defense) is again a miracle worker.

10. Kansas City is Kansas City (playing terrible teams is my point)

11. San Diego's kicker misses a make-able field goal in OT, Willis has a big run, field goal saves the day...he's a miracle worker

12. Puts up a whopping 200 yards against the terrible and injured Viking defense and now he's a pocket passer...oh and Ponder threw an int on 1st down with 1:22 left...another defensive play turned into a gw field goal. Yet "Tebow Time" carries on.

13. He now gets a Cutler/Forte-less Chicago.

Here's a stat for you. Coming into the Viking game...with him under center the offense was 1-37 (1 td in 37 possessions) outside of the 3rd quarter. Clearly his defense is allowing him to be in the position to win. Speaking of that defense. In all but 2 of those games, the defense held opponents under 20 points...they held opponents under 20 points ONCE for Orton.

So in the pro's he is winning yes, and has a great record but good lord he's getting some help and getting pretty darn lucky yet the supporters are hailing him to actually be a good qb. Simply put, Denver has been winning TIGHT ball games and he's the beneficiary of all the unwarranted credit while he's not a good quarterback (I can say he might be a good PLAYER but not a qb). Heck, all but the KC game has been a close come from behind win. Do you really think a guy can make a living when he's always coming from behind, doesn't show up until 5 mins left in the 4th quarter, has a defense playing out of their minds, is honestly getting some lucky bounces, while playing crumby AFC teams? No way. With an offense like that, over the long-term I see him as a .500 QB.

Also all his supporters say he has no talent around him...but they also are the ones that saying its all about winning. Well if its all about winning, then apparently he IS surrounded by plenty of talent!

I think thats all I have for now (until all his supporters try to pick apart my argument)

Let the record show, that I have nothing against TT or his religion. My beef is the cult following he has.

He's Filipino... of course I'm a fan, even if he wasn't a Bronco.

All of those cons and yet there is one glaring issue in the whole thing. Ever thought that its not luck? That the guy brings so many good intangibles that it is the reason that he seems to win at every level? Im a FSU alum myself, and have no love loss there, but I am so sick of hearing that "winning despite him", at what point does that go away? He is winning at every single level and continues to do so. Im sure based on that post, you said "no way this guy succeeds in the NFL" when he was drafted. The breaking news here is that he is succeeding and doing so with the same numbers Elway did as a rookie with less talent and a better record.

As to the defense, the squad didnt change. Perhaps Tebow moving the ball and keeping the clock running and the offense on the field is allowing the D to play better. There is no "lucky" 6-1 in the NFL. You can get a lucky win or two, but when you are 6-1 you are winning football games.

Im genuinely curious here. Is your hatred of the UF QB that stomped us for 4 years getting in the way or do you really believe that this guy is just completely lucky and that is it? Again, no dog in the race here, as I am not a fan, but I do not see how winning at every single level with the talent around him what it is, being all luck and despite of him.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly a huge fan of Tebow but it's hard to argue with the results to this point - he's leading them to victories. John Fox has done an absolutely tremendous job with that team after a really rough start and it also helps that they have a very talented defense.

I'm not particularly a huge fan of Tebow but it's hard to argue with the results to this point - he's leading them to victories. John Fox has done an absolutely tremendous job with that team after a really rough start and it also helps that they have a very talented defense.
Especially Miller. He should be getting a lot more talk than he is but he's being overshadowed by Tebow

Im genuinely curious here. Is your hatred of the UF QB that stomped us for 4 years getting in the way or do you really believe that this guy is just completely lucky and that is it? Again, no dog in the race here, as I am not a fan, but I do not see how winning at every single level with the talent around him what it is, being all luck and despite of him.

I'm a UF hater not a Tebow hater, so no I don't continue to hate him because he lit us up 3 times.

I truly believe he's getting lucky. Getting the onside kick is beyond lucky (should be 5-2). San Diego misses a pretty easy field goal in OT (should be 4-3). Mcgahee and their kicker make huge back to back plays (could easily have lost that game).

So my point is that he could EASILY be 3-4 with his 3 victories coming over a last minute win over a terrible Vikings (who gave him the last minute win), a KC team, and the NYJ who gave him a pick 6 to even be in the game. Forget those 3 wins, lets look at the other questionable 3. All three of them were improbable circumstances that really didn't have anything to do with him. It was more the other team shooting themselves in the foot and him getting credit. Kinda like the WIDE RIGHTS at FSU. Miami loves how they won the game but FSU missed the field goal and lost the game...UM didn't WIN the game, know what I mean.

Yes winning is all that matters but when he's 6-1 and could EASILY be 3-4 or worse with every single victory being close or come from behind, I think people need to realize that "living dangerously" as I like to call it will not lead to a successful career. I mean getting the onside kick and benefiting from a missed OT field goal is not a lucky bounce that often goes your way. I personally believe that people often get lucky breaks, Tebow's lucky breaks have just happen to occur at the same time lol

But he is not 3-4. Do we criticize John Elway for all his 4th quarter comebacks? Yes he could easily be 3-4....But he isnt 3-4, he is 6-1.

I hate Tebow's followers who think he's a god for winning games. Newsflash, other QBs win games too. Alex Smith wins football games. I guess he is a monster QB as well. He has the second most wins in the NFL. I guess he's the second best QB if it's based on wins.

I hate this thread, plus why do I have to be a fan or a foe, can't I just be blah? He is doing pretty well and I'm very happy for the guy as in a world of terrible atheletes with poor morals he seems to be a geniuinly nice and good person. As a QB I think he is doing what he is asked, but I don't think he will be the long term solution at QB, but I do think he has a place in the NFL.

All QB's get far too much praise when they win, and far too much blame when they lose, but in this case he is getting far, far too much praise simply because of how much people love him. I hope he continues to do well and win and lead this team as best he can, because I don't think he's going to be the QB there next year.

Back