time for a change?

kumearl

Reaction score
66, soon to be 67, wondering if switching to senior shafts may help find some of the distance I seem to have lost. Anyone?

don't play often enough or good enough to go that route, looking used, if not I can just go one club up. are there irons already made with a lighter shaft or is that where a fitting is needed?

don't play often enough or good enough to go that route, looking used, if not I can just go one club up. are there irons already made with a lighter shaft or is that where a fitting is needed?
If ever applicable, a fitting would be ideal. If you're looking at either a lighter or softer shaft at the very least it would be a good idea to try before you buy. Knowing how much it costs to reshaft a set of Irons, I'd say buy a used 7 iron with the shaft of choice to try.

Generically speaking. Softer flex shafts MAY go further. But, also may be more inaccurate. But, could be straighter too. All depends on the swing. Long story short. With no information, it's impossible to say whether or not it would help you.

Otherwise, there are clubs that are designed to be a lighter static weight. Epic Star come to mind.

Lots of variables, but a fitting would be best if you can do it.

66, soon to be 67, wondering if switching to senior shafts may help find some of the distance I seem to have lost. Anyone?
What are your current shafts? That would be a good starting point if we try to guide you.😎

At 67, I've lost about 12% of my original distance in the past 12 years. Part of that loss is because I put my game away for a few years, and lost some swing muscles.

The up side is I am much more accurate now, because I don't swing as fast as I did 12 years ago. Maybe?

Last December I tried some senior flex clubs. Even had a 5i made per my specs, which I hit for a few weeks. The gain in distance was not that much. Maybe 3 yards on average. Dispersion was not as good either. Again, I don't swing very fast any more.

Since I couldn't justify the cost of new clubs, for a smallish gain in distance, I just decided to take an extra club to make up for some of that lost distance. What use to be an 8i, is now 7i, maybe 6i in some instances. The only clubs that really hurt my distance issue is my driver, and 3W.

At 67, I've lost about 12% of my original distance in the past 12 years. Part of that loss is because I put my game away for a few years, and lost some swing muscles.

The up side is I am much more accurate now, because I don't swing as fast as I did 12 years ago. Maybe?

Last December I tried some senior flex clubs. Even had a 5i made per my specs, which I hit for a few weeks. The gain in distance was not that much. Maybe 3 yards on average. Dispersion was not as good either. Again, I don't swing very fast any more.

Since I couldn't justify the cost of new clubs, for a smallish gain in distance, I just decided to take an extra club to make up for some of that lost distance. What use to be an 8i, is now 7i, maybe 6i in some instances. The only clubs that really hurt my distance issue is my driver, and 3W.
You sound very much like me. I’m 65 and I picked up the game last month again after a long, long layoff and back surgery a few years ago. I didn’t want to spend a lot on clubs just to find out my back couldn’t take it. I found a used set of Nike irons with senior flex, graphite shafts for $200. It hit them pretty straight, but my distance is horrible. I’m working hard to get my swing speed up without wrecking my accuracy. I’m having a hard time reaching the longer par 4s in two even from the senior tees. Now that I know I can play without (much) pain, I’ve got a professional fitting scheduled to see if more modern clubs can help me add some distance. From what I’ve experienced senior flex vs regular flex is more about control than change of distance. With a proper fitting, I’ll find out which is better for my slower swing speed.

driver really is my biggest trouble, even on good strikes I'm usually first to my ball.

I agree with those opting for a fitting, at 62, I changed from stiff to regular shafts, based on my C.C. fitting and also changed from graphite to steel shafts

I too lost distance at 67 years old. About 10 to 15 %. I tried senior flex to regain. Not a great gain.

I did try suggestions on youtube Danny Maude
senior restoration of power
It helped along with switch out my swing plane to Jack Nicklaus/ Bubba Watson to a higher plane. I am out there 15 to 30 yards farther than 20 years ago. I hit a 300 wind-aided drive. 250 to 260 including roll-out is my norm now. Putting a draw into my game is awesome! To help the draw happen I have gamed a Ping G5 draw-biased 9-degree driver. 60 x stiff Grafollary gray shaft.

As i get older swinging with my hips and torso rather than my arms has helped.

My father in law went though something similar recently. We went to a local store and he was able to hit some irons, and was a bit surprised that a move to a newer head (M6) with graphite shafts gave him some distance he lost. He stayed in the same R flex he was before. Now he is back to hitting his 7iron 150ish and enjoying golf again.

There are tons of good options out there used, and if you want to test something on your own time with no pressure, check out the Ben Hogan Golf demo program.

lighter shafts and graphite for the whole bag. Your body will thank you.

stock shafts on Ping eye 2 and adams idea hybrid set

My father in law went though something similar recently. We went to a local store and he was able to hit some irons, and was a bit surprised that a move to a newer head (M6) with graphite shafts gave him some distance he lost. He stayed in the same R flex he was before. Now he is back to hitting his 7iron 150ish and enjoying golf again.

There are tons of good options out there used, and if you want to test something on your own time with no pressure, check out the Ben Hogan Golf demo program.
Never heard oh the Hogan program, will look into it, thanks

Back