Time for new sand wedge

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I read a recent article on how long to keep a wedge before it starts to wear down and need to be replaced. It said 75 rounds on average for amateurs and more frequent for pros (Tiger every other tournament). Of course there is a cost factor for us amateurs and not for pros under equipment contracts. I am definitely over the 75 rounds. I use my 54 degree most often and my 58 degree less often. I have had both since Christmas 2020. I am thinking the 54 degree is overdue to be replaced as it is the workhorse compared to the 58. I can see wear on the face.

My current sand wedge is a Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 with mid bounce. The easiest would be to just get another one. But, should I open up the wedge selection to other wedge mfg? How do you guys get access to the other wedges? Did you go through a wedge fitting? Club Champion for example, doesn't have sand traps, rough etc. So, how do you simulate the effects of different bounces, etc? I would also want to know the carry distance of other wedges compared to my RTX Zipcore.

I read a recent article on how long to keep a wedge before it starts to wear down and need to be replaced. It said 75 rounds on average for amateurs and more frequent for pros (Tiger every other tournament). Of course there is a cost factor for us amateurs and not for pros under equipment contracts. I am definitely over the 75 rounds. I use my 54 degree most often and my 58 degree less often. I have had both since Christmas 2020. I am thinking the 54 degree is overdue to be replaced as it is the workhorse compared to the 58. I can see wear on the face.

My current sand wedge is a Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 with mid bounce. The easiest would be to just get another one. But, should I open up the wedge selection to other wedge mfg? How do you guys get access to the other wedges? Did you go through a wedge fitting? Club Champion for example, doesn't have sand traps, rough etc. So, how do you simulate the effects of different bounces, etc? I would also want to know the carry distance of other wedges compared to my RTX Zipcore.
Ok, so Cleveland has a range of bounce levels for each loft. Myself, I am a Cleveland user long time. Won't play any other wedge. RTX Zipcore is their latest iteration. I have CBX2's, and I think they're the best, at least for me. If you are satified with your wedge game, get another one. If not, good luck in your search. There are a lot of good wedges out there.

I read a recent article on how long to keep a wedge before it starts to wear down and need to be replaced. It said 75 rounds on average for amateurs
completely false, depends on the golfer, type of swing, etc.

Idk. I tend to think that 75 rounds replacement stat for amateurs, is more of a sales pitch than a worn out club description.

Me, I am not that much a precise ball striker, with a slower swing speed, that I'm wearing out clubs at a fast rate.

Most of the time, I pick the ball clean off the turf with the club face. I'm not much of a divot taker. This helps to keep normal wear, and tear to a minimum.

I clean my clubs after each shot, (most of the time) both in practice, and play. It's part my post shot routine.

I change the club grips as needed. Some clubs,over the years, have had more grips replaced than others.

As for the grooves, especially on my wedges, I will get them reshaped as needed. I rely on the thumb nail test to determine the amount of wear, and tear they have absorbed. I just drag my thumb nail up, and down, across the grooves. As long as there's decent resistance, the grooves are still in good shape. That, ball flights, and how the ball lands tells me a lot about the club face condition.

I'm using a pretty old set of clubs right now. They have 1000s of both practice, and play hours on them. After all this time, the ball still "flies well", and "checks up" when it hits the green.

I've been playing PM 2.0's for the past 2 years in 54* and 58*. The 54* wants to go left on full swings for some reason.
The 58* is magic, so I have a brand new one going in the bag today.
Replacing the 54* with a RTX Zipcore Full Face 54* this week.

My 58 degree is 45 years old. Chrome has wore off the sole and face. The grooves are still decent and it works out of the sand. It backs up balls from the fairway. Why get rid of an old friend? Hell I'm old and the chrome has wore through too.

The TM Hi Toe are really nice and very easy to hit. That said, 75 rounds seems a little light for replacing a wedge for an amateur. I have an MG2 I’ve been using since it was released and there’s currently no milling left on the sole. Haven’t had any issues with spin

I get new wedges every other year. I carry a 50 and a 58 and replace both at the same time. If you are comfortable with the wedge brand you have then stick with it.

Well, look at it this way. Do your wedges do to the ball what you want them to do? If so, then why replace them?
If you're not happy with what your wedges do to your ball, then it's time to "have the talk" with your wedges and put them out to pasture.:)

Well, look at it this way. Do your wedges do to the ball what you want them to do? If so, then why replace them?
If you're not happy with what your wedges do to your ball, then it's time to "have the talk" with your wedges and put them out to pasture.:)
At this point, I would likely buy the same wedge again vs testing others. The Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges are top notch.

I'm kind of with @Scorpion12 . I'd maybe go look at a bunch of other/newer ones, and then ask myself what I want my wedge to do, or do better, then it does. Then maybe look at ones that might do those things better for me, and try those.

Cleveland makes great wedges and I played them for years and years, but you owe it to yourself to at least hit the Edel wedges. They are phenomenal

You have to tell us when you want to be talked INTO buying new clubs. Not all of us can read between the lines. In your case, hit your local golf store and look at all their wedges. But the Zipcores are really good.:):)

75 rounds?? Please don't tell my PM Cally's that I am beating them to death!

Idk. I tend to think that 75 rounds replacement stat for amateurs, is more of a sales pitch than a worn out club description.

Me, I am not that much a precise ball striker, with a slower swing speed, that I'm wearing out clubs at a fast rate.

Most of the time, I pick the ball clean off the turf with the club face. I'm not much of a divot taker. This helps to keep normal wear, and tear to a minimum.

I clean my clubs after each shot, (most of the time) both in practice, and play. It's part my post shot routine.

I change the club grips as needed. Some clubs,over the years, have had more grips replaced than others.

As for the grooves, especially on my wedges, I will get them reshaped as needed. I rely on the thumb nail test to determine the amount of wear, and tear they have absorbed. I just drag my thumb nail up, and down, across the grooves. As long as there's decent resistance, the grooves are still in good shape. That, ball flights, and how the ball lands tells me a lot about the club face condition.

I'm using a pretty old set of clubs right now. They have 1000s of both practice, and play hours on them. After all this time, the ball still "flies well", and "checks up" when it hits the green.
I kind of tend to agree with WLG1952 that your wedges are probably fine. I played Cleveland RTG 900's for at least 12 years, if not more, and cleaned them, and sharpened the grooves before the start of each season, and just played them the rest of the year. If your wedges are playing well, and pretty much doing what you want, play on. But, if they are not, or you just want new wedges(who doesn't), do your homework before you buy. Go try them, all of them. I bought CBX2's because the metal was starting to fatigue(maybe?) near the middle of the club on the 900's. I still have them, as they are great wedges. CBX2's are really good wedges, and compare nicely with your RTX Zipcores. I only use a nylon brush on them, as you don't want to ruin the micro-grooves. Good luck in your decision. Me, I would probably play what you have, till the micro-grooves wear out...

Last edited:
I used my last wedge long past 75 rounds. It worked fine for me, but once I went and hit some newer wedges I realized I was giving up some spin that was helpful. Really go by what you feel, if you think it's needed, go hit some if you can. Cleveland makes great wedges, so you wouldn't be making a bad decision to just get a replacement of the same kind, in my mind.

When I bought my last wedge, I went and hit random ones at the local golf store. I didn't get to hit it on anything other than the hitting bay at the store, so just went off of how it felt off the face and hoped it would work out alright. It ended up being good and I haven't had any issues with it.

I was watching a video clip with Rory MCIlroy on pitching shots. He says he changes wedges every 3 tournaments on average. But, then again, he gets them free from Taylormade. LOL

I don't think I've ever actually "worn out" a wedge. I'm not a high spin kinda guy. Never have been so that surely figures in. I've bought new ones for the sake of change, but it's the least changed club(s) in the bag. They're clubs I have to be comfortable with and count on, so changing them is akin to changing putters for me.

I have a 45 year old Hogan 58* in the bag. The chrome has worn off half of the sole and the face has a touch of rust on it. The grooves are still decent, I just about have it broke in.

When it comes to choosing a new wedge, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind. First, think about the type of course you typically play. If you're mostly playing on tight, tree-lined courses, you'll want a wedge with more bounce. This will help you get under the ball and stop it quickly on those types of shots. However, if you frequently play open courses with softer sand traps, you might want a wedge with less bounce. This will help you get the ball out of the sand more easily.
Once you've considered the type of course you play, it's time to think about your own personal swing. Do you tend to hit down on the ball? If so, you'll want a wedge with more bounce. This will help you get under the ball and stop it quickly. However, if you have a shallower angle of attack, you might want a wedge with less bounce. This will help you get the ball out of the sand more easily.
Once you've considered the type of course you play and your own personal swing, it's time to start testing out wedges. The best way to do this is to go to a local golf shop or driving range and hit balls with different wedges. Pay attention to how each wedge feels in your hands and how each one performs on shots. Once you've found a few wedges that you like, it's time to take them out on the course and see how they perform in real-world conditions.

Last edited:
When it comes to choosing a new wedge, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind. First, think about the type of course you typically play. If you're mostly playing on tight, tree-lined courses, you'll want a wedge with more bounce. This will help you get under the ball and stop it quickly on those types of shots. However, if you frequently play open courses with softer sand traps, you might want a wedge with less bounce. This will help you get the ball out of the sand more easily.
Once you've considered the type of course you play, it's time to think about your own personal swing. Do you tend to hit down on the ball? If so, you'll want a wedge with more bounce. This will help you get under the ball and stop it quickly. However, if you have a shallower angle of attack, you might want a wedge with less bounce. This will help you get the ball out of the sand more easily.
Once you've considered the type of course you play and your own personal swing, it's time to start testing out wedges. The best way to do this is to go to a local golf shop or driving range and hit balls with different wedges. Pay attention to how each wedge feels in your hands and how each one performs on shots. Once you've found a few wedges that you like, it's time to take them out on the course and see how they perform in real-world conditions.
Nice thoughts, but your just a little off base. If you play courses that have soft sugar sand, plush fairways, and easy rough, you want a wedge with more bounce, to keep you from digging in the sand to deep, and to keep you from gouging the fairways. If you play courses with the hard sand, tight lie fairways, hard pan type of course, then you want a wedge with less bounce, to help you get under the ball, without it bouncing up and smacking the lead edge in the middle of the ball, sending it like a driver. Please read up on the bounce of wedges, and its use...

I'd give Edison a chance!

I don't think I've ever actually "worn out" a wedge. I'm not a high spin kinda guy. Never have been so that surely figures in. I've bought new ones for the sake of change, but it's the least changed club(s) in the bag. They're clubs I have to be comfortable with and count on, so changing them is akin to changing putters for me.
Me neither. But, with my old Cleveland 900's, the metal is starting to look a little worn, and maybe getting soft(?). I was sharpening them at the beginning of the season, and they seemed to hold up well. I now play CBX2's, and they are great wedges. I can get a 2 piece ball to check up, with roll out. These will be in my bag for some time...

While I am not sure I have ever "worn" out a wedge I definitely notice improved spin when I get new wedges. Most of us don't hit shots consistently enough to notice the improved spin on the newer wedges every shot.

Back