Time to get more consistent & enjoy the walk a little more

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
There are a bevy of excuses i could give as to why i haven't actually followed through on my previous plans to get better at this game. None of them matter. Kids, covid, weight loss, weight gain, job, life blah blah blah blah blah.

Today, i started a new journey. I enjoy the living hell out of this game. Love playing with friends, colleagues, THPers, family, clients, prospects, strangers......its all good by me. I inevitably always end up having a good time with the folks i play with. (minus the one or two jerkoffs we all come across from time to time). HOWEVER.......

The one thing thats prevented me from always having a smile on my face, is my lack of ability to become a more consistent scorer. I refuse for this to sound like im being a martyr. But, once you get down to a sub 3-4 hdcp, (currently a 6.5 but have been as low as a 1.5) if you wildly fluctuate your cap and your scores from one end of the spectrum to the other.....the fun starts to dwindle. It becomes aggravating at least it has for me. The love fades. It shouldn't be that way. We should all be able to go out and enjoy the game with like minded folks and thats all that matters. Unfortunately theres a score at the end of every round. lol. For me? That score needs to become more consistent. This isn't a journey about getting back down to a super low handicap or playing competitively. Its a journey of taking what the game gives me and working towards being better in my own game and head and with my playing partners. I can have the fun, the laughs, the smiles, the ribbing. What i cant take is the self doubt that shooting 91 one day and 73 the next brings in.

So. Here we are.

Today, for the first time in nearly 21 years (highschool golf) i setup a gameplan with a golf coach (Randy Dietz) for the next year. Yes its going to cost some money. But, i think in the long run the money spent will be well worth it and eventually allow me to enjoy the game that much more. Playing more consistently will help get that done and indirectly have a positive impact that bring scores down id assume.

I will use this thread as my update and accountability to stick to the process as well to let everyone know what im currently working on and how its going.

Last edited:
At least through the rest of the crap cold that everyone is experiencing, the plan is to strictly work on short game and putting techniques.

Once the temps get consistently in the mid 30's, the range has very good heaters that will allow us to focus in more on the swing itself and different shots.

Today (Day 1): we evaluated my putting stroke and some chipping work

Prior to today, if you ask anyone ive played golf with over the last 4-5 years how my putting was, id guess theyd raise their eyebrows a bit. lol. "good ball striker", putting isnt his strongest part of his game.

I'm going to be following along. I often wonder to myself, as I get better, when do I lose the enjoyment of the round in search of always having a low score. I like your approach, and wish you the best as you start this journey!

Looking forward to seeing your progress and glad you have a solid plan in place. Best of luck on this.

A year or two ago i finally went and got fit for my putting stroke. What my eyes and brain liked to see contradicted with how my arms, hands and wrists worked. 🀣🀣
I was using a massively huge toe hang putter. Absolutely the worst and complete opposite end of what i should be using. I was fit into a mallet style face balanced putter as my putting stroke apparently is pretty straight back and through.

Immediately i felt as if i wasnt fighting the turf anymore with my stroke. Everything seems freed up. Thats all fine and dandy but the worse issue was my hand positions. My alignment. Cant make putts if your always aimed in the wrong direction.

WHAT WE WORKED ON TODAY:

Randy had me hit 20-25 putts. All roughly 15-20 footers. Of the 20ish putts i hit, I think i may have made 3. The majority were missed right of the hole a few were left short and a couple were left.

He had me raise my hands. Little did i know how much the toe of the putter was in the air. (hard to do with a mallet). We raised my hands a good 3-4". Id almost say it feels like my left hand low left arm is almost in (not exactly) a straight line with the shaft of the club. I hit 10 putts from 20' that way repositioning my hands and eyes over the ball just slightly forward in my stance. I made 5 of them.

He then came in again......and noticed i was still missing a majority of putts right. He said your alignment is still off. Keep in mind im a slightly larger than average man. LOL. He had me forward press slightly. Im talking.....slight. I took my stance, set my hands in the new position (which ironically opens the face a bit) and then forward pressed just enough to square it all up. He set me up at a different cup but the same length of 20'. I proceeded to drain 7-10 putts.

Quite frankly, I throw so many strokes away on a putting green the last few years its nuts. Im talking......alot. I can not believe how much better it feels. Granted this is only one look and one visit, but wow. The putter feel like where its supposed to be again and on the right path. My pace needs work but its Feb and theres 8'' of snow on the ground lol .

We are off to a great start!

Will be following and hope it works out for you.

I respect your decision to seek to improve. Chalk me up as another who will follow along.

Good luck on your journey! I'll be interested to see your results.

I'm in the same boat. Kids and other things have prevented me from being more consistent. I feel like I've done well with trying to get in better shape, but that's about it.

We also worked on some short game stuff:

58/60 I feel like my short game is pretty solid. At least chipping and pitching. But he showed me where my wrists need ti hinge better on my takeaway when htting a bump n run. Interestingly enough, I am a digger and steep in my irons and a sweeper with my short game. He showed me a few things on 15-20yd pitches that opened my eyes a bit to something new and it prevents my pitches or chips from rolling out so far. I added a bit of an early wrist hinge on my backswing (also abbreviated) and a low follow though that was producing some pretty eye popping spin and stop pitches. This is going to need a lot of work. But, then again....its February and we are working in this room.

$7.50 for an entire day pass. Not too shabby. (thats not me or him) stock photo.
indoor.png

Last edited:
Good luck on your journey! I'll be interested to see your results.

I'm in the same boat. Kids and other things have prevented me from being more consistent. I feel like I've done well with trying to get in better shape, but that's about it.
Keep it up man. Thats a whole other part of this journey for me as well. Down 12 pounds since Jan 1st. Its time for me to get in much much better shape and stay healthy.

Off to a good start friend. Can't wait to play this year and see the progress!
I think I would benefit greatly from a lesson or 10 as well, but like you have always put it off for some reason or another. Might be the year to get some help here too.

Off to a good start friend. Can't wait to play this year and see the progress!
I think I would benefit greatly from a lesson or 10 as well, but like you have always put it off for some reason or another. Might be the year to get some help here too.

Do it brother! I think im just tired of my laziness for things like this. lol So, off we go.

This was used extensively today in my putting coaching.
20HWQUPTTPTHXXXXXTRN

Good luck on the journey to better good friend. Not playing well can be extremely frustrating sucking joy from the game. We know that we shouldn't let it kill the joy, but so often it does. Hopefully this well help you find that joy more often.

Good luck on the journey to better good friend. Not playing well can be extremely frustrating sucking joy from the game. We know that we shouldn't let it kill the joy, but so often it does. Hopefully this well help you find that joy more often.

Thanks brother! Part of this has been encouraged by you seeing a coach from time to time. I think it can only help....a number of things. Looking forward to playing soon!

Thanks brother! Part of this has been encouraged by you seeing a coach from time to time. I think it can only help....a number of things. Looking forward to playing soon!
Glad that I could be of some encouragement. I actually just started to see a new coach myself. Something to get a little spark back in the game and fix my driving

Best of luck OP, I know what you're saying. Although I've always been a bit streaky, the inconsistency of my scores over the past few years increased. I developed arthritis in my hip in 2018, hip replacement in spring of 2019. All the restrictions we all faced in 2020 and on top of that, this summer I got stabbed in the back by my golf partner for the past 16 years. Like you say, 78 one day, 88 the next.

Lots of great things going on this year. Got a Zip Navigator so every round is gonna be a walk in the park, I have a new group of friends that each belong to other area private courses so I'm getting invites, I'm past 5 surgeries and feeling the best I have in years, stopped laying the club off at the top and am really seeing the benefit, playing the league again this year with a new golfin' bud so I'm looking forward to a full and well played year.

Looking for that consistency too. Those high scores sting when you know what you're capable of.

Last edited:
Buona fortuna! I'm trying to get down around your 6.5 this year.

We also worked on some short game stuff:

58/60 I feel like my short game is pretty solid. At least chipping and pitching. But he showed me where my wrists need ti hinge better on my takeaway when htting a bump n run. Interestingly enough, I am a digger and steep in my irons and a sweeper with my short game. He showed me a few things on 15-20yd pitches that opened my eyes a bit to something new and it prevents my pitches or chips from rolling out so far. I added a bit of an early wrist hinge on my backswing (also abbreviated) and a low follow though that was producing some pretty eye popping spin and stop pitches. This is going to need a lot of work. But, then again....its February and we are working in this room.

$7.50 for an entire day pass. Not too shabby. (thats not me or him) stock photo.
View attachment 8993953
I believe a certain former world #1 practiced quite a bit in that room. I'll be following along with your plan to improve. I really like the folks over at Windmill.

I believe a certain former world #1 practiced quite a bit in that room. I'll be following along with your plan to improve. I really like the folks over at Windmill.
Hahaha Well at least we have that in common. Although im racking my brain to think who you might be referencing....

Hahaha Well at least we have that in common. Although im racking my brain to think who you might be referencing....
Jason Day!

Jason Day!
Really?? Not sure why i didnt know that but I know number of pros have practiced quite a bit there. Ben Curtis. Dufner, Jason Kokrak....never knew about Day though. Thats pretty cool

I like where your head's at. Realize the problem, accept the blame for it, make a plan to fix, and get to. (y)

I'll be rooting for your success.

I like where your head's at. Realize the problem, accept the blame for it, make a plan to fix, and get to. (y)

I'll be rooting for your success.

Thanks my friend. Thanks for all the support so far!

Back