Tip / Butt Trimming Graphite Shafts to Length

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I just received an order from GolfWorks which included graphite shafts that have to be trimmed to size before I can build the clubs. I have the codes for the shafts and have referenced the Maltby shaft trimming instructions chart. The Maltby shafts are under the category of "BUTT TRIM TO LENGTH ONLY", so there's no issues with those.

However, Kuro Kage shafts are under the heading "TIP TRIM TO LENGTH ONLY". The problem is that the amount shown to trim - 3 1/2" - will not shorten the shaft enough. If I trim more from the tip to get them to the correct length, the shaft tapers too much and would not fit into the hosel.

So the only choice I seem to have is to trim the recommended distance from the tip (to achieve the proper flex) and then trim the remainder off the butt to achieve the proper length. Does that seem correct?

Verify code, woods are showing W8 and irons IR37. IR30 is tip trim to length but not a code that is not attached to those shafts. Then butt trim the IR37 to length.

Verify code, woods are showing W8 and irons IR37. IR30 is tip trim to length but not a code that is not attached to those shafts. Then butt trim the IR37 to length.
You're right. I read the instructions completely wrong. I thought it was a heading but it's only for the IR30. The iron code is IR37. Glad I came back in to see if anyone replied before trimming. It would have been stiff as hell. Lol. Thank you for replying.

I did trim 1/2" off the tip of the Maltby hybrid shaft (IR27) because I misread an instruction above the chart. That instruction was intended for M890 hybrid and I'm building a KE4. Hopefully it won't cause too much of an issue. Oh well, live and learn.

.370 iron shafts you tip trim. (butt trim for length after properly tip trimming)
.355 iron shafts you butt trim only (there are exemptions to tip trim)
.335 are usually go in the "woods". These are tip trimmed depending on shaft manufacture specs for driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, etc. Then butt trimmed to length

You're right. I read the instructions completely wrong. I thought it was a heading but it's only for the IR30. The iron code is IR37. Glad I came back in to see if anyone replied before trimming. It would have been stiff as hell. Lol. Thank you for replying.

I did trim 1/2" off the tip of the Maltby hybrid shaft (IR27) because I misread an instruction above the chart. That instruction was intended for M890 hybrid and I'm building a KE4. Hopefully it won't cause too much of an issue. Oh well, live and learn.

It happens. (y)

Some trimming charts can be a bit confusing to hobbyists who only do occasional work.

.370 iron shafts you tip trim. (butt trim for length after properly tip trimming)
.355 iron shafts you butt trim only (there are exemptions to tip trim)
.335 are usually go in the "woods". These are tip trimmed depending on shaft manufacture specs for driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, etc. Then butt trimmed to length
Unless I'm misunderstanding this again, it looks like the 3.5" off the tip is what Mitsubishi recommends. I have the Kuro Kage 75g Reg Flex. This shaft is for a wedge.
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 12.35.09 PM.png

Unless I'm misunderstanding this again, it looks like the 3.5" off the tip is what Mitsubishi recommends. I have the Kuro Kage 75g Reg Flex. This shaft is for a wedge.
View attachment 8996394
Correct, then butt trim to length to play a manufacturer recommended flex. The post you quoted was just stating basic shaft tip info.

Correct, then butt trim to length to play a manufacturer recommended flex. The post you quoted was just stating basic shaft tip info.
Got it. Thanks again for the help.
I hope the clubs I built last night will be ok. I did not trim the tip at all on the PW and trimmed .25” off the tip on the hybrid. With my game, variance in flex or kick point (???) may be less of an issue. Would have been nice to have the whole set match. That was the intent.

Back