Tip Weight Rattle

DTWatts_17

Reaction score
Handicap
25ish
Hey THPers!! Whenever I build a club with a graphite shaft and use tip weights I can hear the weights rattle. It doesn't happen during full swing only on chips or when I put the club back in the bag. Do I need to put epoxy on the stem of the weight to prevent this? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Do you use steel or something like these?

Do you use steel or something like these?
I've used those before when I needed more weight, but normally steel weights for graphite shafts.

I think they usually use some epoxy with steel shafts and tungsten weights. I was not sure about graphite. 10g is heavy, I meant more the tungsten rubberized product to go with graphite? I would think the metal tip weights would need to be epoxied to avoid the rattle? I thought with rubberized that might be avoided? And not have to epoxy them in should you want them out without having to apply more heat to a graphite tip to remove?

Is this instantly or after a few hits? You may be breaking the shanks off of the weights. If you epoxy those I’d be very wary due to creating a breaking point up the shaft much like when to much epoxy seeps into the tip and creates a breakage in the shaft. I’d use something like @blueonblack posted and cut down to weight if needed as they are softer and will flex with the shaft tip.

I had a 695.CB 6i with a rattling tip weight in it from factory that drove me bonkers. Put new shafts in them anyway so didn't have to pull the head for that repair.

Is this instantly or after a few hits? You may be breaking the shanks off of the weights. If you epoxy those I’d be very wary due to creating a breaking point up the shaft much like when to much epoxy seeps into the tip and creates a breakage in the shaft. I’d use something like @blueonblack posted and cut down to weight if needed as they are softer and will flex with the shaft tip.
It's fairly instant. Here's what I use from Golf Works.
1600389923234.png

Tip weight is for fine tuning the balance, not to change a swing weight by more than a few points at the most. If you need more than 10 gm. of tip weight for some reason, better look for solution elsewhere for what you need to accomplish.

Are you certain the rattle came from the tip ? Could it be somewhere close to the hosel, somewhere inside the shaft ? Usually, first to look is a loose piece of new/old epoxy not cleaned off before epoxy the shaft in. Second place to look is maybe a piece of loose something dropped down from the grip end and stuck in the tip. Sometimes the old epoxy will form a tube like shell sticked to the wall of the inner tip. It's thin enough to be ignored, but will make noise with the tip weight when falls loose.
Of course, the possibility of a splintered tip is my other guess.
I would first remove the grip and shaft , shack/tap the butt end of the shaft on mats to see if anything falls out of the shaft.. Then carefully twist the head with one hand and hold tight the grip end in the other hand to see if the tip of the shaft is compromised.
All else failed, then, hold the club close to the hosel and flip it to imitate chipping motion, closer to your ears. to identify the location of where the noise is.
Last effort is to remove the shaft and inspect the tip and the tip weight. Even without epoxy the tip weigh into the shaft, usually the excess epoxy would stick the tip weight to the surrounding materials pretty well.
When dry fitting the shaft with tip weight, I would put the tip weight in and shake it around to see if any excessive noise happens , if it moves around to cause rattle. remedy any issue before I epoxy the shaft.
Old saying of measures twice , cut once....... I would copy that as dry fit twice and epoxy once.

Tip weight is for fine tuning the balance, not to change a swing weight by more than a few points at the most. If you need more than 10 gm. of tip weight for some reason, better look for solution elsewhere for what you need to accomplish.

Are you certain the rattle came from the tip ? Could it be somewhere close to the hosel, somewhere inside the shaft ? Usually, first to look is a loose piece of new/old epoxy not cleaned off before epoxy the shaft in. Second place to look is maybe a piece of loose something dropped down from the grip end and stuck in the tip. Sometimes the old epoxy will form a tube like shell sticked to the wall of the inner tip. It's thin enough to be ignored, but will make noise with the tip weight when falls loose.
Of course, the possibility of a splintered tip is my other guess.
I would first remove the grip and shaft , shack/tap the butt end of the shaft on mats to see if anything falls out of the shaft.. Then carefully twist the head with one hand and hold tight the grip end in the other hand to see if the tip of the shaft is compromised.
All else failed, then, hold the club close to the hosel and flip it to imitate chipping motion, closer to your ears. to identify the location of where the noise is.
Last effort is to remove the shaft and inspect the tip and the tip weight. Even without epoxy the tip weigh into the shaft, usually the excess epoxy would stick the tip weight to the surrounding materials pretty well.
When dry fitting the shaft with tip weight, I would put the tip weight in and shake it around to see if any excessive noise happens , if it moves around to cause rattle. remedy any issue before I epoxy the shaft.
Old saying of measures twice , cut once....... I would copy that as dry fit twice and epoxy once.

Switched to tungsten and haven't had any other issues.

You can and should epoxy in tip weights. You don't need to use but a small dab on the tip of the weight before inserting it into the shaft. You're not creating a breaking point by doing so either.

You can and should epoxy in tip weights. You don't need to use but a small dab on the tip of the weight before inserting it into the shaft. You're not creating a breaking point by doing so either.
I was more so referring to using epoxy all the way up on a lead stem, in doing so going up the shaft possibly a inch to keep it from breaking off causing a rattle would create a shear point on the interior of the shaft. That is why I recommend the rubberized tungsten weights especially on graphite shafts.

I usually use a lighter tip weight than needed then wrap the tip with a small piece of lead tape for a snug fit in the shaft, then epoxy the weight into the shaft. Have never had a problem with breakage or rattling.

I usually use a lighter tip weight than needed then wrap the tip with a small piece of lead tape for a snug fit in the shaft, then epoxy the weight into the shaft. Have never had a problem with breakage or rattling.
Thanks for the tip!

Back