tips for overcoming 'hit impulse?

I always find this whole concept most interesting. If you are not "aiming at the ball" what are you aiming at? To me it is like driving a nail. If you don't aim at the nail things won't go well. After all, aren't we striking a stationary object on or near the ground? If so, we have to strike the object. The question is where do we strike the object in relation to the swing and clubhead?

I think you have to aim at the ball and the target. Keeping the target as the primary goal in mind at all times and it is imperative the strike be on the money if you want great golf shots. IMO the key is where you strike the ball in relation to the bottoming of the club on your swing arc while aiming at where the ball needs to arrive - the end goal.

I see all types of swings and different things work for different people. It also depends on which clubs we are using at the time how our swing must work. For me when using irons my left shoulder must stay down and I am good to go. I lift it up too much and my strikes suffer.

With my woods it is center ball position, swing through, and slightly down all the while keeping my left shoulder down with a focus of my weight being on my left foot. Anything else simply doesn't work for me.

The driver is more of a slightly right foot weight while not sliding and hitting a tad up. My biggest mistake is simply not keeping my weight solid and lifting my left shoulder too early and that gets me all too often when I get tired. You might appear armsy to many. That is pretty much it for my game.

I think the "hit" impulse is even worse for most people around the greens.

I recommend that anybody with this problem reads "The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf" by Joe Dante (available on Kindle). This book was published during the 1960's.

I *try* to keep my focus on the target even though I'm looking at the ball. The objective of the golf swing is to hit the target with the ball, so that's what I try to focus on. The objective is definitely NOT to hit the ball with the club head, so I try not to focus on the ball. We must look at the ball during the swing to allow our innate, natural athletic ability to do what it does so well without thought, but we direct that action toward the target by focusing there.

I think the "hit" impulse is even worse for most people around the greens.

it is for me. I equate small swing with frozen lower body when I'm under pressure. This equates to all arms and early releases. What really pisses me off is that I'm good enough to practice my chipping well at times yet find myself doing what I did 15 years ago around the greens. total mental mistakes I really don't like any longer(n)

it is for me. I equate small swing with frozen lower body when I'm under pressure. This equates to all arms and early releases. What really pisses me off is that I'm good enough to practice my chipping well at times yet find myself doing what I did 15 years ago around the greens. total mental mistakes I really don't like any longer(n)

I know what you mean. Played with a guy a few weeks ago and his body would lock up and only his arms would move when pitching. I pointed it out to him, trying to offer some help and he told me he "had to do it this way." I decided to quit while I was ahead at that point.

Back