Tips for Playing in Florida

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
I am headed to The Graphite Challenge with UST Mayima in just over two weeks. I have played nearly all of my golf in New England and southern grasses etc. will be new. We are playing PGA National. What tips would everyone offer a Northerner playing in Florida for the first time?

Topics
1) I'm prepared to get schooled by Bermuda greens (being a bent grass native). Likely on the fast side I assume, and I have zero experience with GRAIN.
2) I've heard chipping you need to be prepared to play a different shot with the grabbier grass. More wrist / acceleration...
3) Fairways
4) Rough
5) Other

Help this woodsy northerner navigate the Palms and Gators ?️‍♂️

Last edited:
Carry is typically king in the deep south. Not a lot of roll out unless there has been an unusually long period of time between rain showers.

Can't offer any advise on the different grasses. Basically all of my golf is played on bermuda so I am not very well versed on how balls react on different grasses.

Carry is typically king in the deep south. Not a lot of roll out unless there has been an unusually long period of time between rain showers.

Can't offer any advise on the different grasses. Basically all of my golf is played on bermuda so I am not very well versed on how balls react on different grasses.

OK, so far so good! Carry is king here in VT/NH too, I have not seen more than 2 yards of roll all year. I appreciate your thoughts.

Commit to your chips. If you are into the grain in longer rough, you need to keep some speed. Other than that, don’t over think it. Hit the fairways and greens.

Commit to your chips. If you are into the grain in longer rough, you need to keep some speed. Other than that, don’t over think it. Hit the fairways and greens.

Awesome. That was the number one thing the young pro at the private course near me suggested. He is wintering at a course in FLA again went down this week, and basically said similar. His words were, "You can't just brush it with your shoulders and expect to get it out." I asked, "More wrist and get down on it?" "Yep."

He also added that he and another top pro in our area can tour our course at -3 68 every round all summer long, but if you want a good short game when you come back to New England, go to Florida.

Reading grain on greens is critical, especially later in the day.

Also, grain direction on fringes/tight lie chips and pitches is important for gauging turf interaction and shot selection.

Awesome. That was the number one thing the young pro at the private course near me suggested. He is wintering at a course in FLA again went down this week, and basically said similar. His words were, "You can't just brush it with your shoulders and expect to get it out." I asked, "More wrist and get down on it?" "Yep."

He also added that he and another top pro in our area can tour our course at -3 68 every round all summer long, but if you want a good short game when you come back to New England, go to Florida.
When in doubt, get it in the green. Getting cute can be a killer. But you will do fine!

Reading grain on greens is critical, especially later in the day.

Also, grain direction on fringes/tight lie chips and pitches is important for gauging turf interaction and shot selection.

I feel like that is an especially useful point. Great stuff!

When in doubt, get it in the green. Getting cute can be a killer. But you will do fine!

Sage advice here. History says I'm good for 8 GIR and probably 4 or 5 on a new course with THP adrenaline. So I'm left with 13-14 opportunities to be cute :p

#FeelingCute
#MightHoleOutLater

I grew up playing in Nashville, TN. We had mostly Bermuda greens but a few courses were bent grass... LOVE putting on bent grass greens! Miss it!

I am headed to The Graphite Challenge with UST Mayima in just over two weeks. I have played nearly all of my golf in New England and southern grasses etc. will be new. We are playing PGA National. What tips would everyone offer a Northerner playing in Florida for the first time?

Topics
1) I'm prepared to get schooled by Bermuda greens (being a bent grass native). Likely on the fast side I assume, and I have zeron experience with GRAIN.
2) I've heard chipping you need to be prepared to play a different shot with the grabbier grass. More wrist / acceleration...
3) Fairways
4) Rough
5) Other

Help this woodsy northerner navigate the Palms and Gators ?️‍♂️

Awesome! I used to live at PGA National back in it's early days. The Champion is the best course there. I have not played the revamped Fazio and Palmer courses. Prior, the General nee Palmer course was the second best and very different from the Champion. Greens use to stimp at 12 there and Bermuda grain tracks the Sun to the Southwest or/and grows toward nearby water. Pay attention to direction and the Southwest. Usually, you need to factor the grain, plus or minus, into the break. Depending on the time of the day, sometimes you can see the grain as sheen or no sheen.

As mentioned above, if it is the usual afternoon showers time of year, you will not get much roll down the fairways on a well struck tee shot. Usually by January or February when the drier northern air makes it down, they do get a bit like a trampoline and you will get another 15-20 yds of roll. Most courses water every day though.

Usually, they don't have the rough too bad during normal conditions but the Honda Classic can change that. If the rough is 5" or more, look out! It is brutal to get an iron through. You should be ok, as the Honda isn't until the end of February. Even so, it is wiry and grabby... you really have to accelerate through it... fairway woods or hybrid work better.

Don't know how it is now but the sand in the bunkers used to be loose and powdery. If you are in a bunker greenside, we used to exclusively use explosion shots with traditional sand wedges to good effect.

Remember, you are at sea level and the humidity will be high... high air density. Keep dry towels and use them on your grips every so often.

The Champion... if you have the length, play it from the tips. Holes 6, 7, 8, 9 are great! I think it is 7, almost 230 yd par 3... I remember one time playing it into a 3 - 4 club wind from the tips and hitting driver (persimmon days) to get pin high. On the back nine, 13 on in, is magical. 15 always played into the wind and usually it was 2 club wind. Very difficult to get on the green there. I've always had good fortune playing 17 and birdying it several times. 18 is just a beautiful finishing hole.... par is a good score and I think I've only birdied it once.

Last, the practice ranges there used to be awesome! Take full advantage of that!

Ask any questions you want!

Yours truly teeing off on #10...
lhR3AFJ.jpg

Awesome! I used to live at PGA National back in it's early days. The Champion is the best course there. I have not played the revamped Fazio and Palmer courses. Prior, the General nee Palmer course was the second best and very different from the Champion. Greens use to stimp at 12 there and Bermuda grain tracks the Sun to the Southwest or/and grows toward nearby water. Pay attention to direction and the Southwest. Usually, you need to factor the grain, plus or minus, into the break. Depending on the time of the day, sometimes you can see the grain as sheen or no sheen.

As mentioned above, if it is the usual afternoon showers time of year, you will not get much roll down the fairways on a well struck tee shot. Usually by January or February when the drier northern air makes it down, they do get a bit like a trampoline and you will get another 15-20 yds of roll. Most courses water every day though.

Usually, they don't have the rough too bad during normal conditions but the Honda Classic can change that. If the rough is 5" or more, look out! It is brutal to get an iron through. You should be ok, as the Honda isn't until the end of February. Even so, it is wiry and grabby... you really have to accelerate through it... fairway woods or hybrid work better.

Don't know how it is now but the sand in the bunkers used to be loose and powdery. If you are in a bunker greenside, we used to exclusively use explosion shots with traditional sand wedges to good effect.

Remember, you are at sea level and the humidity will be high... high air density. Keep dry towels and use them on your grips every so often.

The Champion... if you have the length, play it from the tips. Holes 6, 7, 8, 9 are great! I think it is 7, almost 230 yd par 3... I remember one time playing it into a 3 - 4 club wind from the tips and hitting driver (persimmon days) to get pin high. On the back nine, 13 on in, is magical. 15 always played into the wind and usually it was 2 club wind. Very difficult to get on the green there. I've always had good fortune playing 17 and birdying it several times. 18 is just a beautiful finishing hole.... par is a good score and I think I've only birdied it once.

Last, the practice ranges there used to be awesome! Take full advantage of that!

Ask any questions you want!

Yours truly teeing off on #10...
lhR3AFJ.jpg

@GolferGal I'm going to need a BONFIRE emoji to react to this post.

don’t over think it. Hit the fairways and greens.
Lol.....is that all? I mean wow. Just hit fairways and greens. Its so simple really isn't it?
Im being humorous of course in a sarcastic but friendly way of course. I just couldn't resist. Its just too funny to me . I mean hit fairways and greens. Isnt that the goal anywhere? As appose to all the errant ball striking I too often do in the north, when im in the south I just need to hit fairways and greens. I apologize but Im laughing alot. Like as if I have that choice if I were to move to Florida yet choose not to execute it while living and playing up here. I apologize but to me that's just very funny.

So grain... Think of it like on a piece of wood. Downgrain will be faster, into the grain will be slower. If you're across grain, as the putt dies, it has a tendency to fall the way of the grain.

Around the greens.. Definitely keep your speed up. As far as getting wristy, ehh. Sometimes it's just better to have a firmer grip and avoid getting wristy, honestly. Really depends on the shot you're going to play and what your lie is like. You also have to pay attention to the grain on the collar and stuff. If you're into the grain, putting it can typically be a terrible idea unless you have only a foot or so to go through. Chipping on the collar, just take a practice chip or two and see how the grass reacts. When you make a pass and you feel the club almost feel like it stops, and you take an embarrassing amount of dirt and grass for such a small little movement, that was probably into the grain. You're better playing a low running shot of sorts, because you'll feel really dumb if you're trying to go upstairs from a lie like that and the ball goes about a foot and a half.

Enjoy the wind :)

I would say fringes are definitely grabby and playing a high shot onto the green instead of running a ball through the fringe would be the better play, if one were able to play such a shot.

Lol.....is that all? I mean wow. Just hit fairways and greens. Its so simple really isn't it?
Im being humorous of course in a sarcastic but friendly way of course. I just couldn't resist. Its just too funny to me . I mean hit fairways and greens. Isnt that the goal anywhere? As appose to all the errant ball striking I too often do in the north, when im in the south I just need to hit fairways and greens. I apologize but Im laughing alot. Like as if I have that choice if I were to move to Florida yet choose not to execute it while living and playing up here. I apologize but to me that's just very funny.

Florida courses are flat. Really flat. And greens can be really firm this time of year, but I expect PGA National to be in top condition, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I find that chip shots tend to roll out more than what you expect, so plan accordingly. To find the grain direction, take a look at the cup. You can usually tell which way the grain is going by looking at the cut on the edge of the cup. Green speed can change from the front 9 to the back 9 if you have an early tee time as the greens dry out.

And drink plenty of water. Would not be surprised if it’s in the mid 80s when we play.

So grain... Think of it like on a piece of wood. Downgrain will be faster, into the grain will be slower. If you're across grain, as the putt dies, it has a tendency to fall the way of the grain.

Around the greens.. Definitely keep your speed up. As far as getting wristy, ehh. Sometimes it's just better to have a firmer grip and avoid getting wristy, honestly. Really depends on the shot you're going to play and what your lie is like. You also have to pay attention to the grain on the collar and stuff. If you're into the grain, putting it can typically be a terrible idea unless you have only a foot or so to go through. Chipping on the collar, just take a practice chip or two and see how the grass reacts. When you make a pass and you feel the club almost feel like it stops, and you take an embarrassing amount of dirt and grass for such a small little movement, that was probably into the grain. You're better playing a low running shot of sorts, because you'll feel really dumb if you're trying to go upstairs from a lie like that and the ball goes about a foot and a half.

Enjoy the wind :)

Exactly! Everything you said about grain is correct.

I can remember having to play explosion shots from the deep rough and ball sitting down on the slope/side of a green with my heavy sole SW, just like a bunker shot. It works.

Re: Wind
I learned how to hit knockdown shots because of it.

Don’t overthink playing Bermuda. Ball first contact on irons wedges and chips around the green and you’ll be just fine. Don’t try to learn these fancy new shots, just play your game.

You’ll know when you come across a tricky lie. You won’t have to guess. And hopefully it really won’t be that often. Good luck out there and I’ll certainly be following along!

If you like guac, there is a phenomenal place down the street from the resort that I highly recommend

Florida courses are flat. Really flat. And greens can be really firm this time of year, but I expect PGA National to be in top condition, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I find that chip shots tend to roll out more than what you expect, so plan accordingly. To find the grain direction, take a look at the cup. You can usually tell which way the grain is going by looking at the cut on the edge of the cup. Green speed can change from the front 9 to the back 9 if you have an early tee time as the greens dry out.

And drink plenty of water. Would not be surprised if it’s in the mid 80s when we play.

Generally true. There are some exceptions. JDM, now BallenIsles, I think it is the South course has a few nice elevation changes on the tees. Also, I got to play Seminole once and it has some surprising elevation changes.

If I remember correctly, the 18th tee on The Champion is elevated and a really nice view from there down to the fairway.

All the rest is great advice. (y)

Now we're into building on the good advice you've gotten.

You'll be amazed at how much grain influences break and speed. So, get on the practice greens as soon as you get there and put in some time to get used to it.

The rough can really grab your club. Yes, you want to keep up your clubhead speed, which is part intent and part holding on more firmly than usual. As for using more wrist action on your chips and pitches from the rough. That's all about trying to get a steeper angle of decent to minimize interaction with the bermuda grass and give you a better chance to maintain speed and make clean contact. In addition to these tips chip and pitch primary using the big muscles in your core. An arms only swing can easily be stopped by Bermuda rough.

tee to green I try not to think too much differently, but yes carry is king there for sure. Once around the greens are the biggest differences in the south/Florida, but it’s not as bad as it sometimes sounds. Get on the practice greens to practice break and get used to that, and hit your chips and pitches with confidence. In the north, you can get away with a slightly fat pitch some times as the grass and ground can be more forgiving. In the south, those courses will just straight grab your wedge if it’s against the grain of the grass. Definitely way more bite.

mostly though just enjoy being in the south this time of year instead of up here haha

Back