Tired = Hips Outrace

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
I often play 36 holes on the same day. I have began to notice that I develop a distinct problem in my swing that sometimes manifests itself around the 14th hole of the second round (though it sometimes happens randomly on occasion as well).

First off, I will give you a little background on my swing. I have a fairly strong left hand grip (3 knuckles) and as I come into and through the impact area, I "hold off" on rolling the forearms through until a bit later in the follow-through. I am much closer to a Zach Johnson (albeit to a lesser extent) than I am to a Ernie Els (quick forearm roll after impact) or Retief Goosen (hinge after impact). I like my swing and am comfortable with it. But this leads to the below issue:

I don't know if it is because I get tired, but later in the day I believe I am more prone to getting stuck on the downswing. Essentially, I think my hips outrace my arms so much so that my hands cannot get in front of the body. The effect is that my club gets into a more laid down, behind position. Because I do not roll the forearms as much in the impact zone, I simply cannot save the shot. It is a block right with mid/long irons and worse with a wedge.

I am hoping that you have a few practice maneuvers that I can do between shots on the course that are practical and within the rules that can get me back to a feeling of letting me get my arms back in front of the body. Thanks in advance!

To me this is a connection issue. Where does your right elbow get in the downswing? My guess is it is getting into your side. This will lead to the stuck feeling and not allow you to get the club back out in front. Next time you are at the range try to get the feeling of the elbow sliding more in front of your body in the down swing. IF you can get it more into the ribs in front of you the stuck issues should be gone. Let me know if you need some additional help with this.

Back