Titleist 704 cb (2005) vs AP2 716

Beeez

Reaction score
I'm currently playing a set of Titleist 704 CB irons since 2005 they have performed well when I've done my part. I have limited experience with the 716AP2. What has been everyone's thoughts on comparing Therese two models if you've tried both?

You are going to gain significant advantage in launch with the AP2 which will likely translate into more distance and better stopping power on the greens. Forgiveness on off center strikes is going to also provide significant improvement.

Although I'd probably be better off waiting to try out the 718 Ap2 coming out soon. I enjoy the 704 CB. It was a great Club. It was forged stainless. I would definitely love to improved my distance some, have a softer feel, and, and some forgiveness. I think my whole set is going to be overhauled between now and next spring. All clubs have served me well but I think after 12+ years there's been enough advancements to spring for some new ones.

As I still play the 690 CB (2002) I have been in the same though process for sometime. I have not played the AP2 on course but I have hit them on the range some. I did not see a big difference in the performance of them, but I really think getting fitted and having the correct shafts would make a big difference. I did try the AP1s for a couple of months but the look if the larger head just didn't suit me. The also had graphite shafts and Regular flex compared to my stiff steel shafts in my CBs. the only problem was they were so light I kept loosing the head in my swing. I did pick up 10 yards per club, just had no ideal were the ball would be going, so with the forgiveness of the AP2s and the right shaft it should be a winner for both of us.

Now I'm waiting to see the new AP3 as that maybe the best of both worlds!

I have the 716 ap2 and love them. Going to newish irons from irons that are 12 years old will give you a significant improvement in performance

I just cannot get used to the larger look of the modern clubs. My 704cb set I find acceptable on all fronts when it comes to appearance. Head not too large, offset is there but not too much, and not a huge clunky top line. I feel the same way about woods as well as some of the newer driver offerings look so large to me at address they don't suit my eye the minute I set them down. I'm still playing the 905R from ~2005 as well. I'm very interested in the new AP2 as well as the AP3 although from the few pictures I've seen I still prefer the looks of the AP2. On looks alone I wish I could play the new CB or MB.

The 704's were a great club. I wish I could find a current forged stainless iron to try. I haven't hit the 716's but as others have mentioned, I am sure forgiveness, distance, feel, etc. would be gained.
If you'd like I will let you know when I am into a new set and we can try and find a way to get mine your way. I'm really looking forward to upgrading and hoping enough advancement has taken place in the last decade to offer some increased performance to my game. I'm also looking forward to trying out new shafts as I've been with DGS300 for just as long.

Back