Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Titleist's game improvement iron, the 714 AP1, is ready for official release tomorrow. Titleist is pretty excited about these irons and feel that they are the longest and most forgiving set they've built to date. Tons of tech built into the irons, as highlighted below.

Interesting to note that Titleist has made two gap wedges available with this set, one at 48° and the other at 52°.

The set being tested is 4-W (48°).

PRECISE FLIGHT with optimum launch, trajectory and distance. More carry distance from higher launching, low CG long irons. More control from compact, flatter launching short irons.

INCREASED FORGIVENESS from the deep, undercut, dual cavity design with high density tungsten weighting. More distance on miss-hits with maximum ball speeds across the face from the high MOI design.

SOLID FEEL through the set from the progressive CG (lower in the long irons). Smooth turf release from the camber sole with pre-worn leading edge.
IMPROVED PROFILE with progressive blade length, topline, and sole widths. Superior appearance with a satin polish playing position with bright polish cavity highlights.

STOCK SHAFTS: AP1 stock shafts feature two high performance, flighted designs to match the flight goals of the new irons. The True Temper XP 95 features a flighted launch with great feel and is 15g lighter than the stock steel shaft in the 712 Series. The Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 65 is a lightweight graphite shaft with higher, flighted launch and great feel.

MAXIMUM FORGIVENESS: AP1 and AP2 irons provide the most forgiveness in the game at their tour-proven blade sizes. High density tungsten is precisely placed low in the toe (and co-forged into the heel of AP2) of the long and mid irons to create high MOI that drives higher ball speeds across the face for more consistent distance on off-center hits.

Graphic of tungsten weight:
2013_AP1_714_gallery_00

Some other good info worth reading:

The short iron lofts in both AP1 (#7-W) and AP2 (#6-W) have been strengthened 1 degree to help lower launch and increase ball speed for more distance. A second AP1 gap wedge (52º) has also been added to help with set gapping.

“We’ve really taken progressive design to another level to get that flight and forgiveness where we want it,” Pelisek said.
To ensure proper CG height throughout the set, high density tungsten is placed low in the bottom of the hosel of the AP2 P and W irons. This also helps make for a better transition to utility wedges, which typically have the CG slightly closer to the heel.

AP1 Specs3-iron456789PW1W2
Loft20°23°26°29°32°36°40°44°48°52°
Lie60°61°62°62.5°63°63.5°64°64°64°64°
Offset0.245”0.220”0.195”0.170”0.145”0.125”0.110”0.105”0.100”0.100”
Bounce
Length39.0”38.5”38.0”37.5”37.0”36.5”36.0”35.75”35.5”35.5”

GW
DSCN3441-L.jpg

DSCN3442-L.jpg

DSCN3444-L.jpg

DSCN3445-L.jpg

9 Iron
DSCN3446-L.jpg

DSCN3448-L.jpg

DSCN3451-L.jpg

7 Iron
DSCN3454-L.jpg

DSCN3455-L.jpg

DSCN3457-L.jpg

DSCN3456-L.jpg

DSCN3458-L.jpg

5 Iron
DSCN3459-L.jpg

DSCN3460-L.jpg

DSCN3461-L.jpg

DSCN3500-L.jpg

Oh so Purrrrty! I need to hit these soon!

Love the feel of these

Some nice looking irons there, looking forward to hear how they are out on the course.

Is the W2 in the same styling?

I was thinking adding the 52 to the set is a different twist, especially with the vokeys being the more specialized wedge offering from Titleist.

• Staff
Is the W2 in the same styling?

I was thinking adding the 52 to the set is a different twist, especially with the vokeys being the more specialized wedge offering from Titleist.

Appears to be pretty much the exact same specs as the W1, aside from loft. I thought it was interesting too. I'm pretty excited to try out the W1. Haven't had a set wedge in that slot for a couple years.

WOW those are nice looking irons. Great pics too Hawk! Can't wait to hear what you think of these babies.

Getting them in play at TPC Deere Run perhaps?

Which shaft selection are you testing Hawk? Steel or Graphite? Flex?

Good looking clubs; lofts will make it difficult to put a combo set together with the AP1's / CBs , also interesting wedge option. Good shaft options for sure. You get a hold of the steel or graphite?

WOW those are nice looking irons. Great pics too Hawk! Can't wait to hear what you think of these babies.

Getting them in play at TPC Deere Run perhaps?

Yes sir. They'll get a trial by fire! I'm hoping to get a little practice in with them beforehand though.

Good looking clubs; lofts will make it difficult to put a combo set together with the AP1's / CBs , also interesting wedge option. Good shaft options for sure. You get a hold of the steel or graphite?

Yea, they are going to stand on their own for the most part, though the lofts aren't quite so strong down in the longer irons because of the shorter gaps. I think you'll see some people playing these in the long irons and AP2's the rest of the way. The set I'm testing are steel.

Ben Curtis plays these on Tour I believe.

Cant wait to hear your thoughts Hawk, I just put my order in for the same set setup you got but different shafts and my specs today.

Great pics, thanks for those. I am planning on going to have a look today at the AP1 irons. I have had many Titleist iron sets over the years but none recently. My last set were the 704CBs. I like the satin finish on these, the chrome finish on the 710/712 version of these irons was not great and did not appear to wear well from what I have seen. I really do not need to buy today, golf season here is pretty much over but it may be difficult to resist the urge which I am sure many of you can understand.

Yes sir. They'll get a trial by fire! I'm hoping to get a little practice in with them beforehand though.

I like it! Very pretty, but captain will put em through the ringer!

Wow, those in hand pics really have these looking great. I really like what they did with the 48* & 52* wedges as I like having the GW slot as part of the set.

I haven't played a set of Titleist irons in around 15 years (old DC series) but man, I would be lying if the looks of these didn't make me want to.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think that the irons being released in late 2013 are the best options we have ever had as consumers. Soooo many fantastic sets coming out right now.

They look good! Looking forward to your thoughts on these. Just glancing at the specs, it looks like these are longer (shafts) and have stronger lofts than the irons that you tested last session.

Oh boy do those look nice. I was actually looking at new iron sets last evening. Think I need to hold off just a bit before making the plunge and see some reviews posted.

Preeeeeeeeetty! I love reading about all the tech in these and why Titleist believes they are so good. With the XP 95 I'm definitely curious to see what your initial thoughts are going to be dude.

Can't wait to read your thoughts! I'll be going in for a fitting in these in the next month or so. Titleist claims their 714 ap2 to be more forgiving than the original ap1, it makes me curious to see how forgiving the new ap1s are going to be.

Those things looks beautiful, especially the short irons. One of the better looking GI cavity irons I've seen.

These look pretty nice. The GW thing is kind of interesting. I like that the sole doesn't look that wide, for a GI iron. Wouldn't mind hitting these at some point, but probably won't make it in my bag.

Nice looking. What's the retail price on these?

I am going to make a point of trying these out soon. Could be just what I need for the winter months.

Back