Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Very purdy! I may have to have Mrs. Clause trade-in my 712's and put a new set of 714's under the tree for me this year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had these in the bag for 6 rounds now and remain pleased with their performance, playability and finish. My low round of the year has come with them in the bag and I've played all 6 rounds at or below my index with them. There is nothing mind blowing about the performance but they are consistently good and forgiving when a less then perfect swing is on display. Certainly happy with the flighting, nice mid-trajectory that gives me a few more yards which are always nice to have with my game.

Now I'm going to destroy this prosperity and put a set of Speedblades with KBS Tour shafts in play this afternoon. I've struggled with the SB's and put the KBS' in as I thought a heavier shaft may help me out - so we shall see.

I've had these in the bag for 6 rounds now and remain pleased with their performance, playability and finish. My low round of the year has come with them in the bag and I've played all 6 rounds at or below my index with them. There is nothing mind blowing about the performance but they are consistently good and forgiving when a less then perfect swing is on display. Certainly happy with the flighting, nice mid-trajectory that gives me a few more yards which are always nice to have with my game.

Now I'm going to destroy this prosperity and put a set of Speedblades with KBS Tour shafts in play this afternoon. I've struggled with the SB's and put the KBS' in as I thought a heavier shaft may help me out - so we shall see.

I love the word - consistent. To me that is a premium on the golf course. If I can be consistent, I can score. These irons do that.

Got my first range session in with the AP1s today. Playing the XP95 S300s. As I previously wrote, the last irons I used were the AP2 712s and then this fall the Mizuno MP54s. I play to anywhere between a 5 and 8 handicap usually.

Forgiveness. These irons pack a ton of it. I had not swung a club in almost 3 weeks, and boy did it show with my swing. My first time through the set I was hitting balls all over the face. High/low on the face, heel/toe. Everywhere. And man did these irons disguise the misses. Some just awful shots still more than likely would have found greens and let me get away with a terrible swing. Since the irons were new, I could immediately see where I had the struck the ball after the shot and balls that were nowhere near the center of the face lost minimal distance and held their line unbelievably well. This is an iron that would absolutely save you several shots on days that your swing was not where you wanted it to be. Not surprisingly, hugely more forgiving than both of my last iron sets.

So after warming up and remembering how to swing, I started to hit the ball well. Distance is long, ball flight is quite high and almost dead straight. The ball really jumps off the face. I do not try to work the ball all that much unless the shot calls for it, but I did find I was able to work gentle draws and fades with these at ease, which is all I really want.

A few observations I would note relating to feel. You can tell when you hit one dead flush with these and when you missed it, but its not nearly as noticeable as in players irons. The sound is a touch loud, but certainly not too loud or distracting. These heads with these shafts definitely feel heavier than my mp54s which I have Nippon 11150s in. I found this a bit surprising since I think (dont know) there are pretty close in weight. I actually liked the feel of these as it keeps my swing very balanced. I would guess I lost just a bit of clubhead speed between the shafts however. the lofts/hotness of the AP1 face more than makes up for it.

I would say where these irons really shine is in the mid irons. If you are a pretty consistent player, I just dont see you as missing many greens in that 6-8 iron range except on the absolute worst swings. These irons simply want to go straight. Never a bad thing.

One more thing I would point out, is I also got the 48 degree gap wedge. Very impressed with this club. Used it on both full swings, which would probably go about 110-115 yards for me, and also used it on half swings/pitches. It seemed to do very well on those tricky 80 yard shots for me.

Overally, extremely impressed with these irons after my first range session. Excited to try them on the course next month on a trip to Florida.

Thanks for the feedback Lions. Love that 48° wedge too. I've been using it for full swings and it's a nice shot to have in the bag.

Thanks for the feedback Lions. Love that 48° wedge too. I've been using it for full swings and it's a nice shot to have in the bag.

Ah... Its making me want to get it...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You have the spot in the bag open for it!

You know, to me it isn't all head weight. They just feel heavy in general, with part of that being the shafts (and me playing very light shafts before reviewing these). They aren't super head heavy like the SpeedBlades are (I want to say those are like a D4), but they aren't really light in the head like G25's or the Adams Ideas. Very middle of the road and what I'd call well balanced.

Hey Hawk great review and I played the 710 years ago and still cannot remember why I got rid of them as I do remember hitting some of the best iron shots of my ilfe??? Anyway what specs did u go with on these irons...I know u have KBS Tour, stiff but r they longer/shorter upright/flat as compared to stock specs? Thanks.

Thanks KB. Never hit the 710's, but if they are anything like these, I can imagine they are pretty solid. Standard lenght/loft/lie on the specs.

Thanks KB. Never hit the 710's, but if they are anything like these, I can imagine they are pretty solid. Standard lenght/loft/lie on the specs.

Thanks Hawk...sort of helps me as I read through your review. I see these r still in the bag (per your sig) is that due to the testing or have u decided to keep them for the 2014 season???

Hawk, I admittedly know Jack about Titleist irons. Does the "pre-worn" leading edge actually have any effect you think? Is it something they've always done? How much different does it look than their standard leading edge (assuming it's something new)?

Thanks Hawk...sort of helps me as I read through your review. I see these r still in the bag (per your sig) is that due to the testing or have u decided to keep them for the 2014 season???

My plan at the moment is to play these going forward in 2014, but - that's never a set deal in my world. Reasons I'd play them is high performance and good aesthetics to match. If all other things are equal, I'll take the better looking and less flashy option, though performance has to be there first. Good example was the MP-54's. Felt great, looked great, didn't prove to be a great fit for me.

If I could change one thing about them it would be the shaft. In a perfect world it would deliver identical performance, be about 20g lighter, and made of graphite. Numbers-wise it's a combo that I've not found a match for, but it's heavy. I didn't really realize that until a lot of time playing with lighter options.

Hawk, I admittedly know Jack about Titleist irons. Does the "pre-worn" leading edge actually have any effect you think? Is it something they've always done? How much different does it look than their standard leading edge (assuming it's something new)?

Good question. I think another way to describe it would be 'beveled' and you'll see it in other brands too. It's a way to combat digging and should offer another level of forgiveness on heavy misses.

I'm going to try to find a good picture for you, maybe not with these irons, but at least so you can see.

Good question. I think another way to describe it would be 'beveled' and you'll see it in other brands too. It's a way to combat digging and should offer another level of forgiveness on heavy misses.

I'm going to try to find a good picture for you, maybe not with these irons, but at least so you can see.

Ahh ok, sounds good. Thanks for the response. Maybe I've never paid enough attention to catch this before, but haven't heard it.

Here you go drp.

nike-vr-s-forged-irons.jpg

Here's another one. The chrome iron is a Z-Star with something similar. You can sort of catch the light leaving a little indication of the beveling. Not easy to see, but it's there.

1251774038_McHmN-L.jpg

Here you go drp.

Ahh ok. Very cool, very subtle. Thanks for the pic.

Here's another one. The chrome iron is a Z-Star with something similar. You can sort of catch the light leaving a little indication of the beveling. Not easy to see, but it's there.
Yeah I see it. Nice pic, thanks!

Really looking forward to playing this set of clubs, as I placed my order for them this week. I'm not one to change ANY clubs in my bag very often. I've owned my current set of AP1s since 2008. Oh, I've given trials to a few sets over the last 6 seasons but none have lived up to the power and accuracy of the AP1. I never even tried any of the other models of the AP1 (710 & 712) as I was perfectly happy with the '08s, after all, those clubs carried me onto a single digit handicap! But after trying the 714's, I'm convinced that these are the clubs to replace my '08s.

Hawk great review, I do wish you could find a lighter shaft that performs for you just for comfort sake.

Really looking forward to playing this set of clubs, as I placed my order for them this week. I'm not one to change ANY clubs in my bag very often. I've owned my current set of AP1s since 2008. Oh, I've given trials to a few sets over the last 6 seasons but none have lived up to the power and accuracy of the AP1. I never even tried any of the other models of the AP1 (710 & 712) as I was perfectly happy with the '08s, after all, those clubs carried me onto a single digit handicap! But after trying the 714's, I'm convinced that these are the clubs to replace my '08s.

I know we talked a little about your order and think you'll be very happy with them.

Anybody that currently games 710's or 712's do a side by side comparison. There seems to be some technology changes but does it significantly change the performance? Really surprised by the distance Hawk is seeing with a club that is at least 1/4 shorter and not thought of as distance club. Thanks!

Anybody that currently games 710's or 712's do a side by side comparison. There seems to be some technology changes but does it significantly change the performance? Really surprised by the distance Hawk is seeing with a club that is at least 1/4 shorter and not thought of as distance club. Thanks!

Maybe someone who gamed the original AP1's? The upgrade from original to 710 wasn't big, the upgrade from 710 to 712, and 712 to 714 also wasn't big, BUT what about from original to 714? The more I think about it, the more I want the 714 AP1's!

I think it all comes down to fitting guys. For me, they offered the combination of launch, ball speed, and spin that delivered great carry numbers. Try em for yourself and see, because everything is different on the individual level.

Decided to bite the bullet and get the 714 AP1's in S300 4-PW. Traded my back-up set in and only have to pay in $200! Didn't touch my current gamers. Traded the following in RAZR Fit driver, 690.CB irons and Never compromise putter. Was sad to let the 690.CB's go, but am chuffed with the trade I am getting!

The order is in and I will get my set by Friday!:banana:

Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Got a chance to stop in last night to hit the 714 AP1 6 iron with the XP95 shafts against my current 712 AP1 6 iron with S300 shafts.

Took a little while for them to get the machine set up, so I was hitting for about 20 minutes before we finally started.

Surprisingly I didn't see too much of a change in spin and launch between the two.

ybu8e2u6.jpg

6esedenu.jpg

Edit: had a couple mis hits in there. That 20 minute warm up was probably not a good idea.

I saw another side by side comparison that was pretty much the same. There was more noticible difference between the AP2 712/714

Back